Starting point for Summer 2020 Internship

Rising sophomore in college and I have ZERO background in finance. I’d like to try out PE through an internship for Summer 2020. Please help with resources, websites, interview prep, general PE advice. Any help is greatly appreciated

Most Helpful

Well, I have been in a similar situation to you so I can help. First, you need to learn the basics of Finance. This includes DCF,LBO,WACC, M&A, Alpha, Beta, Systematic Risk, RSI, MACD and various financial ratios. Second, you need to learn the basics of accounting which includes debits and credits. (Assets = Liabilities + Owner's Equity) and the basic accounting statement. Third, start to learn how to make financial models and different valuation methods. Fourth, at your college or university, make sure you join all the finance clubs or have a job that deals with cash. Fifth, start following the stock market globally and the news everyday which include all of them world wide. I can provide more information if you need.

P.S Start learning and mastering Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint and know SQL.

"It's okay, I'll see you on the other side"

I know you want to do private equity but it is generally a bit more difficult to attain than an investment banking internship. What usually happens is people do their two year stint as an investment banking analyst and then move to PE/HF. Is it possible to take a finance class before SA 2020? Generally, it is a lot easier to learn through someone who much more experience. I would also even recommend going over practice questions for C.F.A charter.

"It's okay, I'll see you on the other side"

I really don't know how common that terminology is outside of university circles. Maybe it matters in some places, but I think people who graduated long ago and work jobs don't think much about the school year cycle. It's ok to just call yourself a sophomore or 2nd year undergrad. Personally, I hate the term sophomore and never use it because it is derived from the word "sophomoric".

Rem totam excepturi sint in delectus quia quia. Nihil magni omnis cumque placeat aut aut. Unde necessitatibus ea et fuga doloribus accusantium qui labore. Quo ex possimus repellendus sit id praesentium qui. Velit nihil dignissimos molestias consectetur omnis. Quod amet sequi architecto officiis adipisci.

Qui sed autem eius est et nihil. Numquam ut repudiandae rerum molestiae aut. Nobis provident omnis asperiores error et quo dolorem. Occaecati earum consequatur nesciunt.

Et voluptas explicabo corporis quidem distinctio molestiae. Voluptatem ea perspiciatis molestiae. Voluptatem tempora consequatur inventore autem iusto. Consequatur velit temporibus hic a.

Temporibus aliquam ad sed incidunt. Eaque perferendis quo quae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Warburg Pincus 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (21) $586
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (89) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (204) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (386) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (28) $157
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (313) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”