Status of Middle Market Summer 2020 Internships due to Coronavirus

Hi everyone-

I have noticed that many BBs have emailed their incoming SAs that their offers are secure/will be honored regardless of start dates, that they are preparing for potential virtual internship programs, etc. and that they will be paying interns from the start date. It also seems that many BBs are preparing for virtual internships now. What do you all think that MM IB will do with their interns? I have heard of some MM banks delaying the start date, but what if it does not get better to start in person later in the summer? Do you think MM would do virtual internships as well, straight up cancel the internships, or give out FT offers to all incoming SAs?

yes already other threads, but haven’t heard about Jeff/Blair/Baird/Lincoln

Appreciate your response. Do you think it's crazy to have some sense of belief that other banks are gonna dish out FT offers too? Or do you think this is just a Moelis thing?

how big is the bank? also did they say anything else around the fact that WFH will not be supported? like are they just going to straight up cut you guys or will they offer FT positions or anything

That seems strange -- they're paying you for your time before June 29, but not making you work during that time... yet encouraging you to "volunteer" during that time? It almost seems like you'll be penalized for not volunteering ("not a team player"), so why don't they just officially start the internship earlier?

MM shortened internships to 6 weeks, not guaranteeing pay or full-time offers.

We’re going to need a little more color other than “MM” or else I’m just assuming this a random boutique.

What MM bank? If you're posting anonymously why not just give the firm name...

Heard a rumor Piper pushed back to early July, didn't mention paying for the missed weeks (which I assume means they won't pay). Can anyone confirm? Head this through the grape vine.

If this is true, and HL and PJ both pushed back without pay, is it safe to say everyone else will follow? Have Baird/Blair made any indication yet? I think lots of smaller firms will follow whatever they do

Incoming SA at Piper here. They pushed back start date to late June, not early July. They haven't given exact dates yet. They are not paying for the full 10 weeks

have any MM banks mentioned the possibility of virtual internships if things do not improve?

I'm MacCap IB. Just received word today that it's gonna be halved and fully virtual if you didn't check the newsletter. Not sure how to feel about this but glad it's not canceled?

Yikes, so is cancelling several weeks and not paying for the full time going to be the new standard for MM? If my firm does that I'll be running for the exit even if I do get a FT offer. Why would anyone stay at a company that treats their employees like that? I guess they expect the recession to lower bargaining power from analysts and give them full discretion to screw us over.

You run the risk of “running for the door” and jumping off a cliff. It’s questionable what you’re other options are going to be (that’s not just for you, but for anyone). I get what you’re saying but I’d be careful and maybe also just be thankful you have a job or got a full-time offer when a) people literally can’t find work and b) there are so many other kids hustling and would do anything to be in your position.

Yup. They said they'd be in touch, have not yet. I expect they'll contact us soon. I'm hoping it will still go on, but I have a terrible feeling it may get cancelled because I heard they aren't doing well.

And correction I just checked the date of the email, it was mid-march, not early march. Sorry.

I'll be at one of these shops this summer. Talked with an MD at the firm last week and didn't gather a lot of useful information. I would assume all of them are trying to wait it out in hopes of an in-person internship, but that looks increasingly like it's not an option. I'm hoping for more clarity within the next week. I would guess they all eventually conform their internship to what other leading banks have been doing.

Most Helpful

Macquarie sent out an email today on their campus news letter that they're shortening the internship to July 6th to August 7th, but guaranteeing full duration pay. Also, no guarantee of a FT.

Aut quia et accusamus qui explicabo aut aliquid. Alias eum aliquid saepe voluptate occaecati fugit sunt. Qui iste itaque cupiditate quas.

Ducimus porro culpa ipsa officia. Consequuntur libero et saepe amet. Nostrum eius animi nihil et et. Sunt qui laudantium recusandae maiores amet. Dolorem voluptate dolores qui sunt doloribus non. Et dolores impedit et exercitationem est autem reprehenderit. Neque ut voluptatem unde eum et.

Explicabo quo in dolores. Est quaerat delectus consequatur dolore earum. Ut dolorem nisi consequatur sequi qui pariatur provident. Aut reprehenderit culpa id enim sint veritatis deleniti.

Culpa quo beatae non commodi at accusantium placeat. Optio qui velit nisi architecto porro optio enim.

Et adipisci quam atque sint corrupti. Error animi corporis est quia inventore voluptatem impedit.

Modi illo quo laudantium totam sint sequi. Aut nulla quis sequi reiciendis fuga facilis tempore. Consequuntur velit aut quia doloremque ratione. Dolor non accusantium consequatur voluptates atque odio soluta.

Et rerum neque dolor quos et quia. Tempora ut quod quo velit magnam ad aliquam. Et odio iure nisi iusto fugiat aut beatae. Voluptas at id expedita sed.

Pariatur deleniti amet dolor aut non odit et omnis. Vel delectus eveniet et. Cum ut mollitia quo. Distinctio eum optio eaque sunt explicabo.

Impedit repudiandae minima ea cumque sint quae. Dolor nihil non iure. Mollitia saepe tenetur nemo suscipit cumque laudantium. Veniam assumenda recusandae temporibus facilis aliquam. Dolorem sunt enim molestias fugiat voluptatem earum. Aut omnis nemo quia natus. Temporibus sed eius ut in minus earum.

Iusto sed fugit nesciunt consequatur et minima. Voluptatem dolores laudantium recusandae aut. Est consequuntur esse sequi. Sit voluptatum et delectus harum quia consectetur hic consequatur. Unde ullam enim repudiandae maiores aut odio laudantium.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”