Stay on commods desk at BB or move to glencore/trafigura?

I've been on my desk (metals) for two years. I like it here, i still feel like i'm learning, and i do think i could have a successful career here into the future. I don't want to name names but it is considered in the top tier in commodities. However, i have an opportunity to move to a top trading house in the physical space. What would you do? I think the pros and cons are pretty clear for either but i'd like any opinions on the topic. Thank you.

I’d switch to glencore/traf.

Commodity trading is their business. To the banks it’s not a core function and funding/risks can disappear if the bankers lose faith.

The only reason to stay at the bank is to switch jobs out of industry later but you’ve already got the name on the cv.

Whilst I have a strong physical inclination, I think that if you are happy where you are AND your still feel like you are learning AND you are in a top-tier player then I think its worth sticking it out till any of these three points no longer hold true. Just in the interest of personal career development, if you are in a sweet spot, which it sounds like you are, then it is best to maximise your experience and learn everything you can for however long you can take it. Considering that you are already good enough to be considered by a top trading house with just 2 years worth of experience, you will be even more valuable and attractive to a trading house once you gain even more experience at your bank.

Moving jobs is always a big task and you should always go for the option that suits you best but I thought I might be able to chime in with some advice. If anything I say does not ring true then feel free to disregard :)

Okay pharma guy is talking out of his ass. Clearly knows nothing about commodities. Trafigura and glencore immediately recongized in commodities. Senior traders there are very well compensated and typically more than at a bank. There a reason many traders at hedge funds have a physical background.

You should ask yourself if you prefer to trade physical commodites or futures? Physical trading is more about location and time arbritrage. You have to consider things like where to source ore for a refiner and where to make forward sales to lock in the highest margin for the plant. Things like that. It's pretty exciting just a different skill.

Read the below link to give you a better idea.

https://www.commoditiesdemystified.info/en/#Commodity-trading-and-finan…

G-I the pharma guy:
I'll refer you to this post where another OP also states that Trafi aren't well known and most others agree: https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/glencoretrafigura-vs-msjpm-deriv…

Granted, the post talks about entry levels but the fact that not many know about Trafi applies

You are getting into exit opportunities for traders. The exit opportunity for traders is trading. For that trafi/glencore/Vito’s etc are the best. If you want to go into the exit opps ibankers talk about then the name of a bank looks better. Within industry those are big names. For moving around within commodity trading there is no difference in prestige. The big multi strats will consider you; launching a hedge fund is game on.

Realistically it’s 50-50 for opp to move on. It’s better to get more experience where you are at, but also getting into a shop early career with the physical assets is a huge benefit too. I’d lean on switching but it’s really a coin flip

I’d also agree compensation is likely better at the physical guys so getting to a trading position there sooner would be a big deal to me.

Best Response

Okay thats clearer - a junior trade role at Glencore/Traf is likely to be somewhat ops/execution heavy (especially as you haven't done physical before) and you will need to learn that side of the business. The likelihood is you would act as a support style role to the senior traders and slowly take on risk over a few years.

Now given the choice I would say trading metals at Glencore/Traf would be a more interesting career role than what I assume is a more derivative focussed, client flow type role. Physical is just way more interesting, entrepreneurial and challenging and can be just as if not more lucrative.

THAT being said the two key things here: 1) you say you are still learning at your current job 2) you have risk and are actually trading

If you don't feel yourself plateauing any time soon then I would stick with the BB for a little longer instead of exchanging for what will be an ops/execution/contracts/trading mishmash role.

GMG:
Okay thats clearer - a junior trade role at Glencore/Traf is likely to be somewhat ops/execution heavy (especially as you haven't done physical before) and you will need to learn that side of the business. The likelihood is you would act as a support style role to the senior traders and slowly take on risk over a few years.

Now given the choice I would say trading metals at Glencore/Traf would be a more interesting career role than what I assume is a more derivative focussed, client flow type role. Physical is just way more interesting, entrepreneurial and challenging and can be just as if not more lucrative.

THAT being said the two key things here: 1) you say you are still learning at your current job 2) you have risk and are actually trading

If you don't feel yourself plateauing any time soon then I would stick with the BB for a little longer instead of exchanging for what will be an ops/execution/contracts/trading mishmash role.

agree 100%

If you're not trading right now then which do you feel gets you closer to a trading seat? I wouldn't join the Traf/Glencore if it's not in a trading role unless there's no path into a trading role at the BB.

Not an easy decision then. I imagine the trading house route holds more upside for you as you could potentially move to phys. Try to learn about the team you'd be joining from brokers/CPs/etc who deal with their phys guys. The move could make sense but you're entering a cut throat environment and I would want max info possible.

I've only been frequently these forums recently but I see there's a LOT of commodity related stuff now. I'm not really familiar with this area, what's behind this recent surge? A lot of movement in this area?

It depends your long term goals really. Look at Ray Dalio, he started as a commodity trader then after a few changes he set up his shop. The only reason for a change may be that as the firm is considered top tier in commodities, most of the work would be "firm driven" meanwhile if you go to a "top trading house" you might have to have more skin in the game and make a name for yourself. You might start again from the bottom before you get a desk but it'll set you up nicely, in my opinion.

I think that in the commodities space, trading houses offer some of the most interesting work, and the compensation is very good as well once you get a bit of seniority. I would suggest that you wait a bit before making the transition, but not too long. The skill-set required to trade at a physical shop is pretty different from the paper desks at banks, and therefore you would be best served making the transition relatively early into your career.

CorpFinHopeful:
I think that in the commodities space, trading houses offer some of the most interesting work, and the compensation is very good as well once you get a bit of seniority. I would suggest that you wait a bit before making the transition, but not too long. The skill-set required to trade at a physical shop is pretty different from the paper desks at banks, and therefore you would be best served making the transition relatively early into your career.

strongly disagree

Officiis vel vitae ut et temporibus voluptatem rem. In labore sed ut. Odio vel eaque non sit sint temporibus sequi.

Iusto sint molestiae dolorum omnis. Odit culpa aliquam et et temporibus tempora. Quis excepturi modi eos sit facere labore quidem. Aut incidunt fugit cum laborum nihil.

Harum temporibus qui doloribus a aperiam explicabo. Qui repudiandae consectetur tempora minus necessitatibus debitis. Quisquam quis tempora quidem aliquam et inventore provident. Perspiciatis similique quae qui qui. Ipsa nam laboriosam nesciunt deserunt iure consequatur.

Ipsa veritatis praesentium itaque voluptatem aut. Et pariatur impedit tempore qui sit voluptatem dolores. In asperiores voluptas optio quaerat. Est omnis enim id.

Ut dolor veritatis corrupti autem asperiores. Totam est repellendus consequatur laborum omnis voluptas voluptatem. Recusandae vel laudantium nam non enim accusantium consectetur. Facere et cupiditate possimus aperiam sit nisi ut aperiam. Rerum sed eos est voluptates sequi iusto aspernatur.

Similique et quos doloribus pariatur nemo sequi doloremque. Illo necessitatibus corrupti voluptatibus non suscipit distinctio. Itaque consequatur ut qui magni repellat.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”