Stephens SA 2021

Didn't see a thread here for Stephens so starting it now. Heard that phone screens have been going out, any advice on how to best prepare?

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (158)

• Prospect in IB - Cov
Aug 10, 2020 - 9:43pm

Did anyone finish the phone screen for FT and heard back? Was wondering what the timeline was looking for that.

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
  • Intern in IB - Gen
Aug 11, 2020 - 8:40pm

Screen is fairly simple. Walk through resume, why IB, why Stephens, can you describe investment banking. Hardest question I got was briefly ways you could value a company.

• Prospect in Other
Aug 15, 2020 - 2:19pm

My screen was insanely technical. Started with talking about my background and a little bit of small talk and went right into the technicals.

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Aug 15, 2020 - 4:53pm

Gnarly. My first screen was pretty technical but they were really easy. Second interview had some technicals but I could tell they really care about the culture and put more weight on that.

I didn't get 100% of the technicals right in my second interview but I'm moving to the third round sometime in the next couple of weeks.

• Prospect in Other
Aug 16, 2020 - 11:29am

Yeah, unfortunately, it's the reality of things. Did the best I could and hopefully he was able to understand that

• Intern in IB - Gen
Aug 16, 2020 - 8:54pm

Sorry to hear that everyone. Curious to know if tough technicals was for FR or SA and if it was through general application? It may have been because of connection, but my screens were pretty much all behavioral and moving on.

Aug 17, 2020 - 7:16pm

Mine started with him asking about valuation methods and which ones use multiples. It then got pretty heavy into LBO's. Know dilution vs accretion. Also, how all the ins and outs of which valuation methods & terminal value methods provide the highest and lowest values.

• Prospect in IB - Cov
Aug 18, 2020 - 12:43am

SO I read what you wrote about the multiple vs perpetuity method and you said the answer was perpetuity bcuz of market premium. Shouldn't it be the other way around and the exit multiple being higher due to a market premium when comparing it to peers?

Most Helpful
Aug 18, 2020 - 12:53am

I believe the answer is actually that the perpetuity method is generally higher because it assumes never-ending growth. I dont believe that it actually has much to do with premiums. Additionally, you do use multiples for precedent transactions. That is the whole point, you compare transactions, then apply their multiples to the companies current situation. I deleted most of the post because I reread it and felt it unintentionally sounded like I was bashing the analyst, which wasnt my intention. He was a cool guy. I just wanted to let people know the answers their interviewer might be looking for.

Aug 11, 2020 - 10:54pm

Anyone have any insight on Stephens in general? What are they know for? Do they have good deal flow? That sort of thing

Array
  • Prospect in 
Aug 13, 2020 - 8:14pm

First round is all behavioral and easy technicals like walk me thru 3 financials

Aug 15, 2020 - 11:38am

How did the second round differ from the first? Have mine coming up in the next couple days heard they are doing a couple of phone screens before superdays etc.

• Prospect in IB - Cov
Aug 17, 2020 - 2:19pm

Was this FT? I received word for a second round end of last week and finished the second round this week. Good luck

Aug 17, 2020 - 2:52pm

8/10 was my first round, 8/13 a second analyst reached out (but haven't done an interview with him, oddly), 8/16 a third analyst reached out and had an interview with him today.

First interview was all behavioral, second was majority technical (although they were all pretty basic) with a few qualitative.

Aug 19, 2020 - 8:55pm

How was the third interview? technical? behavior? mix? 

Array

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Aug 19, 2020 - 4:30pm

I got the walk me through your resume and 2 technicals the first was about WACC I admitted I didn't know it and would learn it the second I did a DCF walkthrough and was told that it sounds right. He said that's all I have for you and have a good day pretty much and hung up.... thinking that it's GG for me.

Aug 19, 2020 - 9:03pm

Had 2 interviews so far. One last week one this week. The first one was mix of behavior and basic technicals. The second one was heavily technical, covering question on accounting, valuations, and outside of the guide questions. Anyone know any insights regarding the recruiting timeline? 

Array

• Prospect in IB - Cov
Aug 19, 2020 - 9:24pm

Did you get a third round. And for what office? And any other info on the process you got from your interviewer on next steps?

Aug 24, 2020 - 3:14pm

NY. No update for 3rd round. The interviewer was quiet unsure regarding the next step. He said the firm would get back to me within a week or two. 

Array

• Intern in IB - Gen
Aug 19, 2020 - 11:49pm

Any idea on FT timeline? Have had screens with associate but wondering if anyone has heard much on next steps after that phase.

Aug 21, 2020 - 1:43pm

No updates regarding third call/ interview. The interviewer I had for my second round mentioned I would likely hear back within a weeks time-- this was on 8/16. I'm thinking they will likely be reaching out next week.

• Prospect in IB - Cov
Aug 23, 2020 - 6:19pm

I heard back for third but this is for FT. So maybe slightly different process.

Aug 24, 2020 - 2:02am

Update: Just had another analyst reach out for a third round that will take place Monday or Tuesday. The pace seems to be about 1 interview per week at this point. I'm hoping these phone screens will be over soon so we can get to the Superdays.

(This is for SA, NY office)

• Prospect in Other
Aug 27, 2020 - 5:15pm

Yea got an email today for a 1st round virtual interview (not sure if video or phone) for their Atl office

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Sep 2, 2020 - 9:53am

I've had 4; had one last week. Heard back for a 5th one coming up in the next week or so. 

• Analyst 1 in IB-M&A
Sep 14, 2020 - 5:24pm

I had a phone screen with them while ago.
Accepted another job but they definitively already had 1st round. 

Sep 23, 2020 - 5:03pm

Debitis ullam praesentium ut fuga. Culpa labore quo rerum est quo officiis. Rem ut dolorum omnis repellendus. Sed quo ut sint reprehenderit atque minima.

Molestias molestiae aut debitis est corporis deserunt unde. Reprehenderit consequatur qui numquam illo sed. Hic quod aut architecto harum. Ad perferendis dolor voluptatem quo officiis officiis voluptate. Culpa quis quia ducimus omnis nihil quia.

Array
Sep 23, 2020 - 5:10pm

Provident reiciendis beatae incidunt tempora. Ut minima voluptate totam aut ratione. Rerum delectus facilis suscipit aliquid consectetur. Sed omnis exercitationem at delectus quam quas.

Sed quis iste sint id libero et voluptas. Non eveniet consequuntur est vero qui nostrum consequatur tempore. Quae magni iusto facere voluptatibus. Et architecto alias et distinctio sed aut. Odio dolores odio adipisci qui consequatur sunt. Tempora eum et a odit. Adipisci ipsum adipisci optio molestiae debitis aliquid.

• Intern in IB - Treas
Sep 24, 2020 - 11:07am

Tempore nobis sint ex rerum. Itaque possimus aut eum ut laudantium fugiat. Quisquam quia incidunt et ipsam. Corporis vel quia aut porro. Exercitationem animi ut voluptate quia et explicabo.

Saepe et molestiae quidem id. Aperiam rem quae laborum quis ea. Harum velit et libero.

Omnis consequatur animi id odio dolor eveniet. Adipisci laudantium nobis id consequatur. Eligendi qui qui ut nihil velit voluptas rerum blanditiis. Nulla possimus temporibus quas incidunt fugiat veritatis. Vitae consequatur sint eveniet totam ut rerum.

Enim ducimus magni explicabo. Animi et modi soluta sit repudiandae similique. Eius eum aspernatur nobis nostrum minima. Nihil ad occaecati laudantium quis consequatur repudiandae aperiam.

• Intern in IB - Treas
Sep 24, 2020 - 4:44pm

Quasi iure laborum quis aut excepturi tempore vel. Eligendi possimus quas voluptas qui nostrum aut. Officia nulla ipsa facilis eum distinctio accusamus quisquam. Impedit quisquam recusandae quia vel culpa quia.

Laudantium aspernatur voluptates rerum. Repudiandae ab quis qui distinctio dolorem molestias expedita. Omnis accusantium aliquam aperiam suscipit maxime exercitationem maxime. Et dignissimos modi facilis dolorem nisi. Et optio necessitatibus facere iste consequuntur consequatur. Molestiae qui sed aliquam sint veritatis eos id. Autem non et aut qui.

Unde unde rerum deleniti id. Voluptate laboriosam temporibus et atque. Et debitis et illo quis.

Enim at voluptatem suscipit illo. Tenetur totam omnis blanditiis qui natus magni porro. Mollitia amet aliquid ut iure.

• Prospect in Other
Sep 26, 2020 - 10:57pm

Enim quisquam sapiente dolorum et ducimus enim. Nihil occaecati iste iure ipsa id sit est. Temporibus tempore aut consequatur nesciunt quibusdam vel nihil.

Omnis quod delectus officiis harum. Et ipsam et voluptas aut nihil beatae.

Sit enim soluta culpa dolorem velit eum. Et aspernatur quo harum est. Sequi veniam sed repellendus eius doloremque rerum velit. Et cum dolor itaque sint veritatis et sunt.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

September 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (10) $853
  • Vice President (39) $363
  • Associates (220) $232
  • 2nd Year Analyst (135) $154
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (30) $147
  • Intern/Summer Associate (103) $143
  • 1st Year Analyst (491) $135
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (379) $82