Think of it this way: your chances of going abroad to live are pretty limited once you have a career in your home country (unless that job takes you abroad) and you have a family. IB is difficult to get into either way you look at it.

I went abroad during my bachelor's and thought it was a life-changing experience, so I did my master's abroad as well. I am biased. And I also think investment banking is very overrated.

I studied abroad fall semester junior year and got dinged on phone interviews after they asked if I'd be back any time soon. I go to a non-target though, so you could have it different but most likely not. I don't regret it though. Absolutely amazing experience and when I got back I was still able to land an international internship in a different country instead. I also met a bunch of students who studied with me after their internships as seniors and they definitely enjoyed it more because they had already gotten return offers and didn't need to worry.

If you have the opportunity to study abroad for a semester, you will never regret it. It was the best decision I ever made, and I only went for a summer after my sophomore year(I interned in the summer after my freshmen year, so I thought I was ahead of the game.) If you study somewhere with a strong finance presence, you could network in that area and try to apply for positions in that country, maybe get an informational interview with someone in that office, Traveling to Europe for more than a week is invigorating, I highly recommend it. It's a great talking point in interviews, as well.

Also wondering this. I'm planning on going spring semester this year, which looks like it'll be fine for most places since it's all so early this year, but the BX program I really want doesn't begin recruiting until January. Wondering how badly my chances will be hurt by not being able to conduct an interview in person.

Dude - do it. Studying abroad has only helped me in interviews. It makes you a much more interesting candidate. If you went traveled to the same place as your interviewer you'll have a pretty good chance of making a strong connection.

Like everyone else said, it's honestly your only chance to study abroad too before you're in the real world so take advantage of it.

I know a SA at GS / MS / JPM who was abroad last fall. He said it was a pain in the ass but ultimately worth it. Don't think it worked out as well for other people, but I would highly value the opportunity to spend a semester abroad. Go in the spring if you're that concerned about recruiting. Senior year is an option I guess but personally I would want to spend my entire senior year at normal college

For context, I attended a target school in New York and had no connections in the industry, However, I spent two years abroad during my four year dual degree program and it didn't harm me in the slightest. I had offers from all the BBs for internships and eventually went directly to the buyside following it. If you're a competitive candidate and you're willing to put in the time, it shouldn't be an issue,

I did exactly this and studied abroad this past fall. Yeah you're right it really does hinder your recruiting abilities (at least for me from a non-target) but I'd say that going abroad is 100% worth it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

If anything, going abroad is always a great topic to bring up in an interview, especially with younger analysts/associates - shows that you're not a finance robot

Yeah, every analyst/associate I've networked with said that their biggest regret in college is not studying abroad but they also said they're not so sure if they would've ended up in the position they're in now... Could you expand on your experience recruiting while you're abroad? Just in general about phone/skype interview troubles (assuming you didn't have the same phone number as the one listed on resume when abroad, since you probably got a new SIM card at your abroad country), and how you were able to plan out the recruiting process. Did you tell your network about going abroad and were they willing to accomodate you by accelerated interviews, etc. A general timeline would be unbelievably helpful. And of course, hope that you had a positive outcome in terms of SA recruiting!

Best Response

I studied abroad fall of my junior year so I may be able to help you out. With the time differences, recruiting does get tricky sometimes. There were occasions where myself and others in my cohort had to interview at 12:00 am or later because of this. Not really much you can do to remedy this situation and the inconvenient truth is that you're just going to have to get it done. Other than that though, I found that firms were flexible if you let them know that you were abroad and if you brought it up during the interview they were definitely excited to hear more about it. I did run into some issues with skype but I've run into issues with skype in the states too so I think that's more a function of the platform rather than the location. Good question about the number, I just let my interviewer know that my number had changed as I was abroad and there was never an issue after that. I let my network know over the summer which not only helped in the process moving forward but gave me an excuse to call in the first place. With the way the recruiting time table has been shifted up and given your past experiences, I wouldn't be surprised if you had a SA position locked down before the summer wrapped up....

This was mentioned before, but yes there are times where you'll have to hop on the phone at 3-4am for a networking call since most bankers tend to like to talk after work/winding down and 6pm on the west coast would translate to 3am in Europe. Just something you'll have to get over but it's really not that bad. In terms of phone numbers, I got an international plan with my domestic carrier just for that reason, it's a bit more expensive but you also get coverage in other countries if you do any traveling while you're there. I personally didn't use skype for interviews at all while I was abroad but my virtual superdays were done through google hangout and an app called bluejeans - they were fine, just make sure you have good wifi as that may be a concern for a lot of places.

In terms of timeline, I personally dropped the ball with BBs my first month abroad (August) just due to being immature so watch out for that but contrary to what the consensus is around here, I actually found a few boutiques/MMs who recruit during Feb/Mar and there are reputable firms out there who just finished interviewing and gave virtual superdays to everyone whether abroad or not due to timing with finals.

All in all, if you want to get it done, you definitely can if you do the most imo. Any idea where you want to go?

When does your program start? Me and most of my buddies had our offers locked up by mid-August. With recruiting moving up each year, I don't think this is really a problem anymore? Ton of my friends w offers just finished up their junior falls abroad. Network now so you can get in on the earlier super days would be my recommendation.

lonepine oh wow mid-August? That would be unbelievable if I could do what you did! Do you attend a target school? Also if you don't mind, which firms gave out offers that early? Older friends at my school (non-target, mayyybe semi target) first started getting superdays/offers from BBs this year in the last week of September. How do you advise me to get in on the earlier superdays? I have been networking pretty heavily at certain places (HL, WF, Jefferies, JPM) and have made some good connections. I only named those places to see if you or anyone had specific experiences with those firms.

Unless you can be sure of having interviews lined up early August, I wouldn't waste a recruiting semester to study abroad. You are young, you have a lot of time ahead of you. Yes, studying abroad is an amazing experience - definitely unforgettable and potentially life changing. However, do you really want to risk a career for three months of fun in another country? I would not.

I'm a junior right now and I was in the exact same situation as you last year--top 20 LAC, basically everyone goes abroad junior fall, etc. I went abroad this past semester, and was really surprised at how accommodating banks were when it came to the interview process. In fact, as some people have mentioned above, they thought it was pretty cool, and was a good thing to talk about in interviews. I ended up getting an SA offer at a BB, so I'd say that if you want to go abroad, you should do it, because the advantages of going abroad far outweigh the minimal disadvantages it causes for IB recruiting.

chickenmitts hey thanks for the info. Do you mind giving more details in regards to the timeline of your recruiting? Were you able to accelerate the process and interview in August by telling your network that you will be abroad? Also, if you could give some specific firms that were accomodating and some that were not so accomodating, that would be extremely helpful.

I'm really hoping to study abroad in the fall like you said because literally no one I know will be on campus if I stay... might get really depressing hahah

I highly recommend not studying abroad in the fall. Yes, some banks will accommodate, but a lot will not. My MM for example does not interview people who are abroad unless there are still outstanding spots available after bulk of recruiting is done (know this is true for some other MMs as well.

That said, based on what other people are saying maybe it's not as restrictive as I previously thought.

NuclearPenguins Thank you for your input, as insights from a current banker at a MM is helpful. Would you mind listing some MMs that will not consider candidates who are abroad? This is a bummer for me because I actually attended Piper Jaffray's Career Exploration event over last summer as a freshmen and was really looking forward to applying for the 2019 SA position... Do you also have a general idea of when interviews/superdays will take place for my year? I know the kids older than me at the Career Exploration event had superdays in early September I believe, but not sure how it would work for me since I attended as a freshmen and likely won't get the accelerated process. Also, do you have any tips on how I might possibly be able to get an accelerated process at MMs?

Yeah it is.

At my school a decent number of banks came back in the first few weeks of the spring semester to hold another networking/info session right before resume drops. And in my opinion those events are rather worthless from a networking point of view. Each professional is going to have a swarm of undergrads around them bombarding them with questions so I think that the only impression one can easily make in that situation is a bad one. It would be tough to stand out in a positive manner. All the networking thats helped me so far had been done on my own through cold emails to alums or through past relationships and that experience is pretty common among my friends. I don't know of anyone really who developed a good relationship through just going to those info sessions. So basically you're not really at any disadvantage from being abroad, I know that I wasn't.

Maiores est in sint reprehenderit vel fugit ut. Praesentium aut porro hic quibusdam pariatur quia maxime quo. Fugiat aut a quos est.

Id quia qui est praesentium error eos. Ipsam qui nisi minima dolores.

Possimus doloribus harum molestias laboriosam ea autem laborum. Voluptatem autem temporibus ab quos.

Assumenda et occaecati error consequatur exercitationem quidem praesentium deserunt. Voluptatibus consequatur consequatur excepturi dolorem. Ducimus molestias ut voluptatem velit quae.

Vel nemo quia est et. Molestiae cumque deserunt maiores est modi consequatur. Voluptas a aut similique impedit quae reiciendis deleniti. Quam quo sequi enim nostrum expedita dolorem. Labore facere autem in minima. Animi minima dolorem et.

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”