Do top 20 business schools give scholarships?

If they do, at what point is a full-ride worth more than a better ranked school. For example, is Duke full-ride worth more than Harvard. Is Emory full-ride worth more than Duke without a scholarship?

Best Response

The main answer to your question is yes, of course business schools in the top 20 offer scholarships.

To put more meat on it: As you move upward from 20 to 1 in the ranks, the average GMAT goes up, yield goes up, and admit rate goes down (generally speaking). Applying that idea to a "static hypothetical person" (let's say: someone with 720 + 3.5 + 4 WE + static softs factors [e.g. domestic/international, URM or not]) : As you go up the rankings, the probability that you will be admitted goes DOWN, and the probability that you will attend, if admitted, goes UP.

For example, in this case the person would have a great chance of admission at Carnegie Mellon, Emory, or WUSTL; a moderate chance of admission at Duke; Michigan, or Cornell; and a slight chance of admission at Columbia or Chicago; and a low chance of admission at Harvard or Stanford. Likewise, if we assume sticker price, in similar fashion the probability of yield progressively goes up as you go up the rankings.

Since schools in general use scholarships to improve yield (if they were sure a student would attend, why would they offer a scholarship?) the probability + size of scholarship will decrease as you move upward. Pretty simple stuff. Of course, the catch-all 'static softs' can change things for any given class/year, injecting more uncertainty into the analysis.

As far as which program is 'worth' more, of course that depends on you. PM if you want to talk more. Good luck.

As other posters have noted, very personal decision - I was accepted into schools in the 10-15 range (Darden, Fuqua, McCombs) with a GMAT well above average (750) and could have gone for approximately $30/$35K per year (so some scholarship). I'm opting to pay full boat at a Booth / Kellogg / Sloan caliber M7 instead (not H/S/W).

You'll have to decide what it is you want when you get there, but I would focus on crushing the GMAT, getting good work experience, extra-curriculars, etc to give yourself the shot to make the decision yourself.

For me personally, I would have gone to any of the 10-15 schools mentioned if it had been a full ride, but $25/$30K per year didn't make a big enough difference for me to turn down a top 5 school.

That's disconcerting that 750 didn't get you there. I was hoping that would be the magic number. I would probably make the same decision though. Any ideas whether they give certain majors more money? Any other quirky things like that? I juts did a 1 year stint in law school, and I did well, but I am not going to continue because I discovered I don't want to be a lawyer. I am going to take some math and computer science classes as a way to show/develop quantitative abilities. Plus study for CFA, GMAT. Current job is a legal clerk, but I'll hopefully be able to jump ship after I have taken some of the classes.

I think the raw GMAT itself is only one piece of the puzzle, as other posters have noted. I'm a bit younger (3 years of work experience), and from my rough statistical sampling of friends, those who have worked longer (6 years) and thus have stronger "stories" in leadership, work conflicts, etc. coupled with strong GMATs have received more scholarship $$ than I have. The advantage for me is that I get to turn on a post MBA salary # sooner in my career(5 years out of UG) than they do (8 years of UG), so its all about the tradeoffs.

All that to say, scholarship criteria its the same as admissions criteria - GMAT alone won't get you there, and GMAT plus licenses alone (CPA / CFA) won't get you there either (I'm a CPA w/ part of the CFA program completed as well). I have multiple families members at other M7 programs, and it just seems random - my thought would be to do your due diligence on the programs, apply to as many of the programs as you can summon up legitimate interest in, and then see what happens - its a black box in many ways (or at least a black box to me).

HBS and GSB dont have full scholarship opportunities. Sometimes they hook you up to external scholarships that may combine and become a full-ride.

Whether HBS or Duke Fuqua completely depends on your preferences and your Needs and Wants. Corporate Jobs will probably work for either one, but for other heavily competitive fields, you may need HBS. It's not a preference, but more like a trade-off unique to your profile.

I can't speak much for the IB jobs, but you can get pretty much any typical MBA job from a school in the top ~30. That obviously includes all the 40-50hr F500 jobs, but also includes all of the consulting firms. Deciding how much money to give up to move up the list depends on how much you value the network. If you plan on doing a startup, politics, being a major company CEO, hedgefund/IB roles.....you may want to pay more now for the network. If you're happy "merely" making 6 figures and being a partner at a consulting firm, SVP/Director at F500 in the next 8 years.......I'd keep the money.

I actually made money going to my MBA program, and I'm working MBB now. I could have taken the debt to go to a Top 10 school......and then I'd be working at MBB now. Politics is something I'm interested in the future, but I decided that going to a state's flagship school is good enough (if not preferable) to get me on that path one day.

But if you aren't sure how to value the network compared to your future goals........pay the money and go to the best school you get into. You'll make the money back, you can't make the experience/pedigree back.

I would say the lower end of the T15. I say this because the reason schools give out scholarships is to encourage students with an above average profile to come to the school in order to raise their averages. The reason HBS and GSB don't give out traditional merit scholarships is because they don't need to rise in the rankings-- they'll always be at the top.

Honestly the better question is who they give it to. Schools are either needs based or merit based, which just means the schools either use a formula or give to who they want to sway (though there is some controversy over whether needs schooks always follow the formula). Honestly needs based is kind of a joke, since you don’t really know which students who look needs based on paper have family resources off the books or are gunning for IB/Consulting etc.

Schools also vary year over year in whether they want to beef up international attendance, LBGT, different minority buckets, women, etc. so it’s hard to really know. But the more of those boxes you check the more likely you’ll get a scholarship (sorry white men in finance).

Of course, having competing offers can also help in negotiating.

Sadly, I'm an Asian male. So no help there either.

But thank you for your response. Understood. Just put in the best application you can, and you never know.

Dude I think you're asking every question on this forum, it's a terrible sign for your chances. You might as well get your ass going and start applying instead of having others answer questions in your admissions interviews.

Besides, who gives a shit about which school gives most money. Even when Stanford got busted for fake need-only packages, every school and Stanford clearly only add money to students who could have gone elsewhere better. No magic formula until you're shoe in

AA Male / Above Avg Stats

Significant Scholarships to Johnson / Anderson Accepted at Darden / Ross / Stern

As X2 said, if you're above the class profile the school will generally throw money your way to secure your "stats" and entice you to attend.

Anderson has historically been generous after receiving a big donation a few years ago. This can always change though. As someone posted below...it can be less the school and more the candidate. Money typically goes to those with excellent excellent stats (think 3.9, 750+) or those who add diversity to the class. Good Fortune article from 2014: http://fortune.com/2014/11/20/mba-scholarship-wars/

mbaMission Admissions Consultant For personal advice, please see up a free consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php Website: http://www.mbamission.com Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog

Dolorem labore doloribus natus. Aspernatur omnis magnam corrupti tenetur vero aut harum. Et non vel rerum. Non quo voluptatem magni ipsum. Consequatur quod occaecati sed quaerat. Ut voluptas in voluptatem quam velit quis optio. Dolores molestias qui in magnam.

Ipsum fuga autem ut minima ut voluptatem. Numquam quisquam dolor inventore sed et doloremque qui laboriosam. Molestiae excepturi minima animi voluptatibus qui cumque voluptatibus sunt.

Officia optio ut iste nisi impedit repellat vero. Delectus eveniet nam molestiae explicabo cumque. Asperiores in tempore et quo similique voluptas et iure.

Dicta dignissimos illum est. Consectetur ullam voluptatibus aut sed fuga perspiciatis. Voluptas itaque aut sunt minima odit. Ipsam explicabo et quas libero. Voluptas sed recusandae autem veritatis quisquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”