Target School Prestige in Hong Kong

What schools from the US or UK are most prestigious in Hong Kong and Singapore for IB?

Ivies, MIT, UChicago, Duke > Cambridge Oxford LSE

UVA, UMich, NYU Stern = Imperial?

What about Emory, washu, Vanderbilt and the LACs?

Are bigger schools with better reputation in Asia better for recruiting like UC Berkeley and UCLA?

Warwick is better than ucla and Emory and on par with ucl. Ucl doesn’t even have a business school. 

Maybe for finance recruiting, but OP asked about prestige in general

obviously you get things wrong in terms of the situation in Asia. UK schools like oxbridge and LSE you mentioned may get higher reputation than lower ivies like Dartmouth and brown, though the later ones is more difficult to get into as a Chinese international applicant. It sounds shit, but true as it is. I believe that the prestige of US schools works well in us but not outside North America. It's sad that those lower ivies may even not be comparable with UCL or Warwick. Sad for a US college oriented applicant. 

I'm going to be entering college this fall and was wondering what I could do this summer to get a better sense of the work in the different fields. I had zero experience with business in high school but am looking to potentially go into that field in the future. Are there any books, videos on Youtube, or anything I should look into to learn more? Also, when I do go to college, what extracurriculars would be helpful for me to learn more about finance and potentially network? 

This (and the rest of the thread tbh) is heavily US focused. You should be looking through international rankings like the ARWU, QS, and Time Higher Education rankings. USNews is a poor base to use when looking at prestige in HK because they haven't heard of schools like Emory, WashU, Vanderbilt, and the LACs. 

While this might not make sense to an American, an Ivy ranking with a focus on perception in HK would look something like:

Harvard / Princeton / Columbia / Yale / Cornell / Penn / Brown / Dartmouth (this is off the top of my head, parents are from HK)

Oxbrige are comparable to top ivies and on par with HYPSM

Taking Peking and HK top 3 unis out, HK has a very strong preference for US unis.

I interned at 1 BB and worked at another for 2 years. There are way more HK/China students studying Oxbridge + LSE than stern/ivies+S+MIT combined but probably way more stern kids getting into HK IB than oxbridge + LSE combined.

Each BB may take 2-3 oxbridge/lse kids combined on average each year but there are like several hundreds of such kids graduating from their undergrad a year.

Believe there are way more UK uni kids in SG but chances for non-Singapore high school educated kids are slim.

Most Helpful

Those saying Ivies as a group are better or equal to Oxbridge are very, very wrong. Harvard, Princeton, and Wharton yes. None of the others. Yale isn't as well known in HK but is still relatively prestigious, as is Columbia (and Cornell to a lesser extent for engineering does have a decent rep). But have most people heard of Dartmouth or Brown? No, no chance. Oxbridge (and even LSE and Imperial) have far better name recognition in East Asia. Similarly, Berkeley has a much better reputation out of the US than in it. Broadly speaking, for undergrad:

Harvard/MIT
Oxford, Cambridge, Stanford, Princeton, Wharton
Yale, Columbia, Chicago, Imperial, LSE, Berkeley, possibly Stern and Cornell (+ Peking and Tsinghua if you're including Chinese unis)
UCL, non-Wharton UPenn, Georgetown, Duke, UCLA, Brown, Dartmouth

Most other schools (including say Michigan or Warwick) aren't really known. Outside of finance, CalTech - and to a lesser extent CMU and Hopkins - are quite prestigious due to the value East Asian families place on STEM.

Student quality or preference wise, imo Oxbridge is more similar, if not lower, to Yale/Columbia/Penn on your scale. Princeton is not as well known in Asia-Pacific as it is in the US. The international students from Asia (mostly from China and a few other places) I talked to don't see Oxbridge on the same level as most of the ivies because Oxford/Cambridge admit roughly the same or more number of students of the 7 ivies (minus Cornell) combined (in mainland China, for instance) so they aren't seen as selective by the very top students who still aspire to go to a top ivy or Stanford/MIT. Many of them turned down Oxbridge to come to the US and the ones who attend the Ivies are usually on the wealthier and more socially prominent end (even Cornell, yes), too. The Oxbridge brand is still appealing but is slowly being eroded by the Ivies. 

You have NO CLUE what you are talking about bud. Princeton is better than Yale internationally? Give me a fkn break.

Congrats on NYU/Berkeley. NYU is a joke of a school for all the rich kids who got rejected from the ivies 

Tenetur a quia quibusdam voluptate. Aut temporibus porro libero natus quisquam aut deleniti. Numquam rerum dolorum qui vel optio. Dolore et dolores sunt itaque molestias. Est ut similique enim explicabo illo soluta fugiat.

Ab natus labore laudantium esse aut tempore soluta. Et expedita perferendis provident sit praesentium id nihil. Rem ut ipsum veritatis dolores fugit sequi. Qui dolorum quia quisquam voluptates voluptate. Enim dolore sapiente dolor aut magni. Eius asperiores voluptas quisquam libero ut. Et consequuntur fugit a optio.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”