Target School Prestige in Hong Kong

What schools from the US or UK are most prestigious in Hong Kong and Singapore for IB?

Ivies, MIT, UChicago, Duke > Cambridge Oxford LSE

UVA, UMich, NYU Stern = Imperial?

What about Emory, washu, Vanderbilt and the LACs?

Are bigger schools with better reputation in Asia better for recruiting like UC Berkeley and UCLA?

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (19)

• Intern in IB - Gen
Mar 1, 2021 - 5:33am

Ivies + MIT, Stanford > Oxbridge/LSE > UChicago/Duke/Berkeley/NYU Stern/UMich = Imperial/UCL > UCLA/Emory/WashU/Vanderbilt > Warwick

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Mar 1, 2021 - 6:59am

Warwick is better than ucla and Emory and on par with ucl. Ucl doesn't even have a business school. 

Mar 3, 2021 - 4:51am

Duke and UChicago are not on the same tier as say Berkeley. They should be at least with the lower Ivies like Cornell, Brown and Dartmouth and >= Oxbridge LSE. UCL and Warwick should be compared to UNC KF and maybe BC Carroll.

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
Apr 28, 2021 - 11:03am

I'm going to be entering college this fall and was wondering what I could do this summer to get a better sense of the work in the different fields. I had zero experience with business in high school but am looking to potentially go into that field in the future. Are there any books, videos on Youtube, or anything I should look into to learn more? Also, when I do go to college, what extracurriculars would be helpful for me to learn more about finance and potentially network? 

• Analyst 1 in IB-M&A
Mar 3, 2021 - 10:28am

This (and the rest of the thread tbh) is heavily US focused. You should be looking through international rankings like the ARWU, QS, and Time Higher Education rankings. USNews is a poor base to use when looking at prestige in HK because they haven't heard of schools like Emory, WashU, Vanderbilt, and the LACs. 

While this might not make sense to an American, an Ivy ranking with a focus on perception in HK would look something like:

Harvard / Princeton / Columbia / Yale / Cornell / Penn / Brown / Dartmouth (this is off the top of my head, parents are from HK)

• Analyst 3+ in PE - Other
Mar 3, 2021 - 9:14pm

Taking Peking and HK top 3 unis out, HK has a very strong preference for US unis.

I interned at 1 BB and worked at another for 2 years. There are way more HK/China students studying Oxbridge + LSE than stern/ivies+S+MIT combined but probably way more stern kids getting into HK IB than oxbridge + LSE combined.

Each BB may take 2-3 oxbridge/lse kids combined on average each year but there are like several hundreds of such kids graduating from their undergrad a year.

Believe there are way more UK uni kids in SG but chances for non-Singapore high school educated kids are slim.

• Analyst 1 in IB - Gen
Mar 3, 2021 - 9:19pm

"way more stern kids getting into HK IB than oxbridge + LSE combined."

A simple quick LinkedIn search will tell you that this is far from the fact.

Most Helpful
  • Prospect in PE - Other
Mar 4, 2021 - 9:58am

Optio tempora cum deserunt necessitatibus expedita laborum recusandae. Minus expedita facere enim fugiat quidem est rem. Eos laboriosam corporis blanditiis adipisci nihil nihil nisi nisi.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

September 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (10) $853
  • Vice President (39) $363
  • Associates (220) $232
  • 2nd Year Analyst (135) $154
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (30) $147
  • Intern/Summer Associate (103) $143
  • 1st Year Analyst (489) $135
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (378) $82