Taxation in the UK

How best can I protect myself from the ridiculous level of tax here in UK? Fresh out of uni and student loan repayments, NI hike and falling into the additional tax bracket is a lot to deal with… I hear ISAs get discussed as a solution but is there anything else out there? Thanks

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (24)

Sep 18, 2021 - 3:37am

Unfortunately not much. ISA gives you £20k to play with tax free p.a. Capital gain allowance p.a. is c.£12k so you can trade sto(n)cks and pay no tax on the gain.

Contribution to a private pension plan is also a possibility: unless you earn >c.£330k your contributions are topped up by gvt at your upper tax rate bracket (is you contribute 55 and you get 100). A pension fund advisor will do the calcs for you. Of course you won't see this cash until at least 55yo (for now).

Most Helpful
Sep 18, 2021 - 9:36am

As the other poster said, relatively limited options as a PAYE employee unfortunately. Pension/salary sacrifice is by far the best way of minimising taxes, the big downside as the other poster said is you won't be able to access any of the money until you're at least 55.

I would say definitely open up a savings/stocks & shares ISA. You can put £20k in pa, also more importantly any subsequent gains are ringfenced/excluded from taxation. So if you'd had £40k in your shares isa and invested it in the S&P500 in March 2020, today you would have close to £80k ie. £40k profit completely tax free/protected from capital gains.

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
Sep 18, 2021 - 6:53pm

distantfuture

How best can I protect myself from the ridiculous level of tax here in UK? Fresh out of uni and student loan repayments, NI hike and falling into the additional tax bracket is a lot to deal with… I hear ISAs get discussed as a solution but is there anything else out there? Thanks

One of the reasons to have your own company. I had one when I lived in the UK.

SafariJoe, wins again!
Sep 20, 2021 - 1:36am

Research Analyst in HF - Other

Can you elaborate on this? Can you have your own company and be paid through it instead of being an employee at the firm you work for? I'm not sure if employers are down with doing that but I would love to do that if possible obviously.

I had to set up my own company during the days of IR35. I did a deal with my employer to be a independent company. My accountant was instrumental in helping me set this up. So, I took my pay as a form of shares/stock at the time. Did this for a few years before moving to USA.

SafariJoe, wins again!
Sep 20, 2021 - 4:33pm

Research Analyst in HF - Other

Ok I see, yeah I don't think my employer would be down for this. I'm not a key employee and they wouldn't even give me comp in USD even though the firm makes it's money in USD. 

You could not get paid in dollars because you are not living in the states plus, it costs the company more. Some companies do do it but you have to be a special executive for that. Some one that makes a huge amount of $$$ for the company.

SafariJoe, wins again!
Sep 21, 2021 - 1:51pm

TitanBrit

Wrong. IBs (US or CH, from VP up) pay bonus in USD or GBP, your choice.

Setting up a company doesn't work for most employers (certainly not for large ones).

What part of being an executive is wrong?

SafariJoe, wins again!
Sep 20, 2021 - 4:34pm

Vænnen

Just pay your taxes man, the UK needs money to pay for their millions of 3rd world migrants...

Lol, the tax burden in the UK was so heavy when I lived there, no matter what party is in power. National insurance, PAYE, VAT, the list goes on and on.

SafariJoe, wins again!
Sep 20, 2021 - 1:05pm

just be thankful that you aint paying for private healthcare

and invest in EIS funds... write off the 9 out of 10 losses over the investment life... take the gains from the inevitable ten bagger

Sep 20, 2021 - 4:35pm

Quo itaque autem nostrum possimus sunt ex. Enim aut ea sequi ex qui quibusdam id. Provident in ut doloremque modi quia sit. Possimus eaque aut est atque et.

Adipisci consectetur molestiae aperiam sequi non corrupti blanditiis. Doloribus quia assumenda quo odio similique.

SafariJoe, wins again!
Sep 20, 2021 - 4:37pm

Explicabo est explicabo nemo laborum vero. Quis quo aliquam aut aut. Perferendis facere aut maxime aut. Molestiae et et et voluptatem.

Officia vel adipisci accusamus temporibus enim. Et sit distinctio quod dolores velit est. Est labore enim earum error ratione. Perferendis cum et perferendis accusamus cumque deserunt facere.

SafariJoe, wins again!
Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

November 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (10) $853
  • Vice President (40) $360
  • Associates (235) $234
  • 2nd Year Analyst (144) $156
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (34) $154
  • Intern/Summer Associate (107) $146
  • 1st Year Analyst (514) $136
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (394) $84