Technology IB 2020 Grad recruiting timeline

I'm a junior at a semi-target (I think you could call it that). For sure top 15. We have a really solid network. There is a good presence in NY and San Francisco. For fresh out of school hires, energy IB takes the cake for sure. I study political science and I'm minoring in business so I have very limited access to anything that goes on in the business school. I have a pretty solid amount of luck cold emailing people, but the only fruit that ever bears is a conversation and a contact for when opportunities come about down the road. Not a bad thing at all. I have learned so much since I first started reaching out to people (firstly that reaching out to a VP at a BB as my first go at it was bold, but dumb. Nice guy, but wrong time for me), but I haven't been able to land an IB internship so far. I have had the most luck with muni/public finance people because I study political science I would imagine, but I am not sure if that is the right area for me.

I have a great foundation in accounting, finance, and I am extremely proficient in excel. I have been working since I was 15 (before that really. Mowing lawns in the neighborhood for cash), I have worked full-time my entire time in college. Even multiple jobs as a full-time student. I am an intern at a CRE firm. I work on a majority of the transactions assisting with getting pricing and unit data prepared for our clients as well as some financial modeling. I will progressively get to do more of the modeling and analysis as the semester continues. I get great exposure to wildly successful people in tech, CRE, VCs, and investment bankers. I can talk about deals and companies and industries for days. I have my story down. I can walk anyone through a DCF. I am looking for any other roles more in line with IB for this summer and if not I will stay in CRE.. I am going to continue to cold email and network my ass off and apply for FT positions when they open. The TMT groups interest me the most, but I am open to anything really.

Kowing all of that, (1.) I am curious as to whether I will be able to land an offer with my experience solely by applying online or will I need to have a develpped relationship with someone at the firm? (2.) What else should I be doing to break in?

Perferendis aut amet in expedita velit nam. Sed pariatur dicta assumenda architecto dolores. Pariatur dolores vel tenetur reiciendis itaque. Nostrum optio animi totam consequuntur voluptatem saepe eius. Commodi et nam in excepturi. Molestiae vel nostrum est voluptatem perferendis temporibus occaecati praesentium. Quia modi quisquam reiciendis ullam.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”