Telling S&T Recruiter of Grad School Plan before starting S&T SA

Hey everyone. I'm a second bachelor's students who secured a S&T SA analyst position. During that time I also applied and was admitted to two top-tier MFE programs. Should I finish the second bachelors at my current non-target school, tell them about the Master's and hope that I can extend my FT start date to Winter '19, or not say anything until I receive a FT offer?

Investment Banking Interview Course

  • 7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. Crowdsourced from over 500,000 members.
  • Technical, behavioral, networking, case videos, templates. All included.
  • Most comprehensive IB interview course in the world.

Comments (11)

Mar 28, 2018

First, give yourself some props for securing a S&T SA program coming from a non-target. Next, why do you want to get a MFE? If you have a FT offer after your internship, I don't see a need to get your MFE.

MFE is generally the route for someone who couldn't get into S&T in their undergrad. Unless your goal is to be a quant for a hedge fund or what not, then by all means, get a MFE.

Finally, whatever your purpose is, don't tell them until you get the offer. That's for sure. Good luck!

Mar 28, 2018

I'm coming from the military and considered the MFE to not only strengthen my technical skill set but become an alumnus for a more prestigious school. I thought it would also help me start as something other than a first-year analyst.

I have to make a decision regarding grad school before I even start the internship. And for one of the schools (CMU) I would have to cut the internship short 10 days. Unfortunately, neither program has part-time options. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Mar 28, 2018

if you get a FT position at a BB, the BB will usually pay for you to get the MFE (evening/weekend classes). This seems like a no brainer.

just google it...you're welcome

Mar 28, 2018

I did look at NYU MFE which offers a part-time program, but it's not as prestigious as CMU or Columbia. And the government will cover my expenses at any of these programs so cost isn't necessarily an issue.

Mar 28, 2018

that makes a big difference...if the govt pays...then go ahead and take the education. however, don't tell the recruiter that you have to leave the program early. save that for halfway thru the summer, and then tell the trading desk that you have the best relationship with. In the end, recruiters don't make hiring decisions...trading desks make the hires directly.

just google it...you're welcome

Learn More

Side-by-side comparison of top modeling training courses + exclusive discount through WSO here.

Mar 28, 2018

Thank you for the advice. So if my understanding is correct, the best course of action is to tell them about everything(masters, possible 10 days) halfway through the summer.

Mar 29, 2018

@CavQuant - Nicely done! Have you decided on the program? CMU or Columbia would be nice. I have noticed that a lot of universities are offering distanced education on MFE (USC included, I keep in touch with people in engineering/STEM).

Did you say that you were completing the 2nd Bachelors when you applied into the program?

No pain no game.

Mar 28, 2018

Thank you! I told the programs the purpose of the 2nd bachelors was to get the necessary mathematics and programming background. If I choose the Masters route I'll withdraw from my current program. I wish CMU still had there online program.

Mar 29, 2018

I think you will have a better experience with an on-campus program, overall. This provides also some leverage to network and build up more on your lists of people to keep in touch with.

So, admission into the Masters route is not contingent that you complete your 2nd Bachelors?

No pain no game.