Thanks to IB long hours, I officially have angina

Well all these allnighters have overworked my cardiovascular system to a point I have chronic chest pain now. Fuck me. I was stupid to cut down low enough sleeping hours to lift weights, what a retard move.

Even spicy food that raises my heart rate could induce acute angina and set off horrible pain now. My heart is in constant state of craving more oxygen and tortures me with this shitty squeezing pain. 

Advice: Stay the fuck away from alcohol during your IB years, and smoking, and don't work out intensely during your IB years. Light push up + crunch + jogging should be enough. 

Have healthy diet, every spare minutes you got, you need to spend on SLEEP so your body can have a rest. Once you're out of IB, you can pick up intense training to shred off the body fat and gain muscle later. 

I am sorry to hear about this. Don't give yourself a hard time. It's good that you are aware of your condition early on. I hope that you are now able to work more reasonable hours and focus on your health. If not, please try to push back and prioritize yourself. Happy to chat if needed!

A lot of these things are genetic as well man. Do not beat yourself up, its not like you could have gone before doing banking to get a super indepth physical. You did what you enjoy and pushed yourself hard for a few years, while its chronic its something than can be helped with lifestyle change, like gout. 
You nailed all the key things, a keto/whole30 diet for a while, a trainer possibly that gets you to do all sorts of exercise and not just heavy lifting. Cut back on alcohol and other vices. All hope is not lost trust.

Ironically, cant have that for now as sex makes my heart inflame.

But if I'm too horny, gotta take nitrates and some beta blockers before smashing. Gotta take some meds to pre-empt the pain.  

If you really have angina pectoris, that implies coronary artery disease, and at your age that is a disaster. Get under care immediately, and stop kidding around! I hope for your sake it is heartburn or some other more benign condition. But go see a cardiologist ASAP. If you really have symptomatic coronary disease at this age, then a Finance career is the least of your worries! 

I was consistently getting less than 5 hours per night, and train heavily no less than 4 times per week. Plus heavy drinking on Friday/Saturday and a lot of smoking. 

Pre-intercouse meds, to expand vessel and improve flow to my heart prior to having sex.

I tried sex without meds once, got an attack mid session and collapsed. 

OP - have you done a full stress test with a cardiologist? If not please do and get a full scan done.  Are you not on a beta blocker daily? I would imagine you should be and at a reasonably high milligram dosage. 

Sorry to hear but you are young and hopefully this can be managed and reduced over time. 

Yeah mate and it's horrible. Been on stack of daily meds, hope with lifestyle change I can be less reliant on those things and finally off meds.

Exercising now is just long walks and jogging, with nitrates and beta blockers protecting my heart.

Haha I was always joking that this was because of my ex-fiance 'broke my heart' last Christmas, she was banging a number of dudes when we were together and left me for a tattoo artist guy. Was somewhat overusing alcohol for a few months after that event to survive the infidelity. But yeah definitely not the main cause though, it was IB overworking my cardiovascular system. 

Anonymous Monkey

Well all these allnighters have overworked my cardiovascular system to a point I have chronic chest pain now. Fuck me. I was stupid to cut down low enough sleeping hours to lift weights, what a retard move.

Even spicy food that raises my heart rate could induce acute angina and set off horrible pain now. My heart is in constant state of craving more oxygen and tortures me with this shitty squeezing pain. 

Advice: Stay the fuck away from alcohol during your IB years, and smoking, and don't work out intensely during your IB years. Light push up + crunch + jogging should be enough. 

Have healthy diet, every spare minutes you got, you need to spend on SLEEP so your body can have a rest. Once you're out of IB, you can pick up intense training to shred off the body fat and gain muscle later. 

Thanks for sharing, people have to realize that making a living does not equate to running themselves into the ground.

SafariJoe, wins again!

Been out of banking for ~2 weeks now and got a physical for the first time since I started today.  My blood pressure was 180/120 at 9am before having any caffeine.  Turns out that the severe headaches and random nosebleeds I've been getting for the better part of 18 months were instances of hypertensive crisis, which has significantly elevated my risk of heart attack & stroke, and I'm being tested to see if it fucked up my kidneys.  

Am legitimately considering quitting my new job to focus on my health for the next 6 months.  Although I'm currently not allowed to exercise, I gained 80+ pounds during my IB stint, so hoping that I can reverse this w/ weight loss rather than being on blood pressure medication.  Although I don't have any axe to grind w/ my old bank/group/IB in general, this cements my decision not to repay any of my unvested bonuses.  Throw that shit off into collections and ding my credit

Take care of your health.  It is the only thing a lot of people take for granted.  This includes all - physical, mental.  You don't want to be on those medications forever, they do a lot of harm to your body (really, anything we take medicine wise).  Feel free to PM me if you need some starting exercises for recovery.  

I did the mistake and ignored my exercises when I got back into the office grind and everything came back to me.  So I have to restart my program + healing my torn rotator cuff injury.  

No pain no game.

I hope you find a path to recovery. Praying for you. Either way, fewer hours and more rest should be beneficial. 

I also feel the lockdown has upped the shit out of my anxiety levels, just going to a restaurant has been weird and giving me issues. Crazy

Why is the title “Thanks to IB…” when heavily drinking twice a week and smoking may be a bigger factor here? Isn’t career irrelevant when one lives this type of lifestyle?

Well...Go heavily drink on a beach island for 3 months, I bet you will still not have these problems because you will not be paranoid as hell the whole time with epinephrine supercharging you’re heart at all hours 

Iusto voluptatibus et expedita magnam dolor consequuntur dolorem sit. Delectus ullam labore harum nam dolore in omnis.

Occaecati quia eos fugiat ut sit. In voluptatem ipsam necessitatibus saepe ipsa dolores.

Non ipsam tenetur commodi fugit repudiandae iste ullam. Maiores minus rerum voluptatem aut quo accusamus facere. Ipsa voluptate sit beatae ullam eius. Voluptatem quisquam voluptas sit illo at eum fugit.

Sit dolorem et voluptatem inventore ea perspiciatis a est. Esse qui sed ut animi. Consequatur non reprehenderit aut et est dolor aut. Dolorem quia rerum quia dolorum quidem molestias recusandae. Sequi occaecati eos odio quas aperiam necessitatibus nobis maxime. Adipisci voluptate ipsam aut. Natus harum possimus non recusandae ea illum itaque vel.

Optio dolores nisi dignissimos assumenda itaque. Maxime aliquam facilis commodi inventore suscipit accusantium distinctio placeat. Pariatur nihil dolor ea odit eius.

Ut doloribus qui sit quia praesentium dicta est. Qui labore vel cupiditate et odio tempora. Sunt molestiae necessitatibus atque non provident aliquam hic.

Corporis ratione deserunt ut qui alias aut. Tempore et asperiores explicabo aliquam porro animi. Et soluta et sit magni repellat consequatur. Velit possimus distinctio velit doloribus. Quibusdam quod voluptatum unde nostrum dignissimos quis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”