Thanks to IB long hours, I officially have angina

Well all these allnighters have overworked my cardiovascular system to a point I have chronic chest pain now. Fuck me. I was stupid to cut down low enough sleeping hours to lift weights, what a retard move.

Even spicy food that raises my heart rate could induce acute angina and set off horrible pain now. My heart is in constant state of craving more oxygen and tortures me with this shitty squeezing pain. 

Advice: Stay the fuck away from alcohol during your IB years, and smoking, and don't work out intensely during your IB years. Light push up + crunch + jogging should be enough. 

Have healthy diet, every spare minutes you got, you need to spend on SLEEP so your body can have a rest. Once you're out of IB, you can pick up intense training to shred off the body fat and gain muscle later. 

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (41)

Oct 17, 2021 - 7:01pm

+1 for taking a rip in great fashion haha hard to see that in general these days

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
Oct 8, 2021 - 7:42pm

I am sorry to hear about this. Don't give yourself a hard time. It's good that you are aware of your condition early on. I hope that you are now able to work more reasonable hours and focus on your health. If not, please try to push back and prioritize yourself. Happy to chat if needed!

• Associate 1 in HF - Event
Oct 9, 2021 - 5:45am

Thanks, much appreciated for the support. Yeah I have better hours now so will prioritise my health going forward. 

• PM in HF - Other
Oct 8, 2021 - 10:52pm

A lot of these things are genetic as well man. Do not beat yourself up, its not like you could have gone before doing banking to get a super indepth physical. You did what you enjoy and pushed yourself hard for a few years, while its chronic its something than can be helped with lifestyle change, like gout. 
You nailed all the key things, a keto/whole30 diet for a while, a trainer possibly that gets you to do all sorts of exercise and not just heavy lifting. Cut back on alcohol and other vices. All hope is not lost trust.

Oct 9, 2021 - 5:44am

Thanks man, on buyside now, better hours, have dropped alcohol and smoking.

Have more sleep now, and start pick up light training again. 

Gotta let my body rest post-IB, hope I can somewhat reverse it. 

Oct 8, 2021 - 10:56pm

Sorry to hear OP, hope it all turns out okay. Make sure to follow up with your PCP more often too. I often get lazy with the annual checkups but know I shouldn't.

Also aware of an IB guy who lifted extremely heavy and had an acute stroke. Near-death experience. His PCP is concerned that having this history at such a young age may come back to effect him later in life. Ended up taking a more laid back job with less pay (still 6 figs).

Oct 9, 2021 - 5:42am

Ironically, cant have that for now as sex makes my heart inflame.

But if I'm too horny, gotta take nitrates and some beta blockers before smashing. Gotta take some meds to pre-empt the pain.  

Oct 12, 2021 - 4:48pm

If you really have angina pectoris, that implies coronary artery disease, and at your age that is a disaster. Get under care immediately, and stop kidding around! I hope for your sake it is heartburn or some other more benign condition. But go see a cardiologist ASAP. If you really have symptomatic coronary disease at this age, then a Finance career is the least of your worries! 

Oct 10, 2021 - 1:06am

I was consistently getting less than 5 hours per night, and train heavily no less than 4 times per week. Plus heavy drinking on Friday/Saturday and a lot of smoking. 

• Analyst 1 in IB - Gen
Oct 10, 2021 - 1:44am

sounds like something I'm doing right now.. though I have been cutting intense heavy lifting to Saturday / Sundays only and try to get 1 light workout during weekdays which has helped

Fuck i miss WFH could get 2 extra hours of sleep from not having to commute and all that shit

• Analyst 1 in IB - Cov
Oct 10, 2021 - 12:38pm

Ohhhhhh shit. As someone who jst started and have been sleeping 5ish hours and been gymming 6 days a week, your story now scares me.

Oct 10, 2021 - 1:07am

Pre-intercouse meds, to expand vessel and improve flow to my heart prior to having sex.

I tried sex without meds once, got an attack mid session and collapsed. 

Oct 10, 2021 - 3:55pm

OP - have you done a full stress test with a cardiologist? If not please do and get a full scan done.  Are you not on a beta blocker daily? I would imagine you should be and at a reasonably high milligram dosage. 

Sorry to hear but you are young and hopefully this can be managed and reduced over time. 

Oct 11, 2021 - 11:49pm

Yeah mate and it's horrible. Been on stack of daily meds, hope with lifestyle change I can be less reliant on those things and finally off meds.

Exercising now is just long walks and jogging, with nitrates and beta blockers protecting my heart.

Haha I was always joking that this was because of my ex-fiance 'broke my heart' last Christmas, she was banging a number of dudes when we were together and left me for a tattoo artist guy. Was somewhat overusing alcohol for a few months after that event to survive the infidelity. But yeah definitely not the main cause though, it was IB overworking my cardiovascular system. 

Oct 11, 2021 - 7:08pm

Stress from IB is real and brings out crazy symptoms that you wouldn't think are related.  With every second you have off, focus on what gets your mind right, whether it be more sleep / napping, watching tv, boozing, hanging with friends.  Weekend work is a great excuse.

Oct 14, 2021 - 2:48pm

Anonymous Monkey

Well all these allnighters have overworked my cardiovascular system to a point I have chronic chest pain now. Fuck me. I was stupid to cut down low enough sleeping hours to lift weights, what a retard move.

Even spicy food that raises my heart rate could induce acute angina and set off horrible pain now. My heart is in constant state of craving more oxygen and tortures me with this shitty squeezing pain. 

Advice: Stay the fuck away from alcohol during your IB years, and smoking, and don't work out intensely during your IB years. Light push up + crunch + jogging should be enough. 

Have healthy diet, every spare minutes you got, you need to spend on SLEEP so your body can have a rest. Once you're out of IB, you can pick up intense training to shred off the body fat and gain muscle later. 

Thanks for sharing, people have to realize that making a living does not equate to running themselves into the ground.

SafariJoe, wins again!
  • Associate 1 in IB - Restr
Oct 14, 2021 - 6:24pm

Been out of banking for ~2 weeks now and got a physical for the first time since I started today.  My blood pressure was 180/120 at 9am before having any caffeine.  Turns out that the severe headaches and random nosebleeds I've been getting for the better part of 18 months were instances of hypertensive crisis, which has significantly elevated my risk of heart attack & stroke, and I'm being tested to see if it fucked up my kidneys.  

Am legitimately considering quitting my new job to focus on my health for the next 6 months.  Although I'm currently not allowed to exercise, I gained 80+ pounds during my IB stint, so hoping that I can reverse this w/ weight loss rather than being on blood pressure medication.  Although I don't have any axe to grind w/ my old bank/group/IB in general, this cements my decision not to repay any of my unvested bonuses.  Throw that shit off into collections and ding my credit

Oct 15, 2021 - 11:25am

Take care of your health.  It is the only thing a lot of people take for granted.  This includes all - physical, mental.  You don't want to be on those medications forever, they do a lot of harm to your body (really, anything we take medicine wise).  Feel free to PM me if you need some starting exercises for recovery.  

I did the mistake and ignored my exercises when I got back into the office grind and everything came back to me.  So I have to restart my program + healing my torn rotator cuff injury.  

No pain no game.

• Managing Director in PE - Other
Oct 16, 2021 - 10:38am

I hope you find a path to recovery. Praying for you. Either way, fewer hours and more rest should be beneficial. 

Oct 14, 2021 - 6:28pm

I had to go through a physical therapist before. I have had to get rehab in terms of physical fitness.

If you need help with anything - PM me.

No pain no game.

Oct 15, 2021 - 9:04pm

I feel so terrible for you. I started having a series of palpitations and nightmares for months on end. Got diagnosed with panic disorder and anxiety. Never had these issues pre lockdown. Got put on anxiety meds. Shit sucks.

Oct 16, 2021 - 2:58pm

Quis ab assumenda quia neque laborum quia facilis. Est sit illo tempora fugit consequatur nemo dolorem. Quae dignissimos dolores sunt veniam nemo omnis. Maxime rem dolores dolores vitae ea odio.

Autem aperiam in voluptatum explicabo id corporis repellendus modi. Fugiat aliquid enim suscipit voluptas quae.

Oct 17, 2021 - 4:01pm

Officia eum voluptas illo a. Velit corrupti natus et laboriosam aut quis.

Voluptas nostrum quo consequatur cumque fugit distinctio sit. Quibusdam qui aperiam dolores eligendi ut nihil consequatur. Dolores autem praesentium libero quibusdam.

Eveniet aut et incidunt fugit dolorem et. Beatae nobis consequuntur corporis quis. Dolores est facilis labore veniam et. Aliquid dolorum beatae consequatur aliquid culpa laudantium. Accusamus nam non neque.

Nov 1, 2021 - 2:35pm

Error sapiente iusto explicabo iusto tempore quia sed facere. Quidem illum odio maxime nemo architecto mollitia iusto. Vel eum repudiandae facilis repellat est aliquid quibusdam. Deserunt et dolores occaecati qui nesciunt ut.

Sit voluptas id voluptatem quis aut. Assumenda quo quisquam sit animi quisquam. Sed ducimus facilis quo dolores.

Id voluptas pariatur voluptatem quo qui velit quo. Quod modi nihil assumenda quo. Sed vel ipsam adipisci et iure magnam.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

November 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (10) $853
  • Vice President (40) $360
  • Associates (234) $234
  • 2nd Year Analyst (144) $156
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (34) $154
  • Intern/Summer Associate (107) $146
  • 1st Year Analyst (513) $136
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (393) $83