The future of New York City: The 2021 NYC Mayoral Election and the comeback plan

Last year was tough especially for New York City. As someone who has always dreamed of living in NYC, it is depressing to see the city being run so poorly. It seems like everyday, another "New York City is dead" article appears on the internet as people and companies leave and move to other places like Florida and Texas.

With the 2021 Mayoral Election coming up, what are your thoughts on the candidates especially Andrew Yang (Favorite to win according to most sources) and Ray McGuire (Former Citigroup executive; I assume he will be the favorite among WSO users).

Also what policies would you implement to improve NYC?

Most Helpful

Just read this list of candidates: https://www.curbed.com/article/everyone-running-for-new-york-city-mayor…;

Mostly a bunch of radical leftists who want to run the Western world's capital of capitalism. If I had a vote, and knowing nothing at all of the candidates other than what is written in this list (except for Andrew Yang, who is somewhat famous), I'd vote for Eric Adams. Big machine city like NYC requires a long-time politician who understands how to run the day-to-day of the city. Adams is the current borough president of Brooklyn and appears to generally be a political insider. Despite being an elected NYC Democrat politician, it looks like he understands the importance of police and business, which (based on the list of candidates) is kind of an outlier. 

None of the Republicans has any chance at all, and Yang, while likely the most palatable candidate for national office, likely does not have the deep political knowledge to run a place like NYC. It doesn't just require competence (which I'm sure he has)--it requires that deep and abiding political insider knowledge. I just don't see it in him.

Array

Memberberries

Just read this list of candidates: https://www.curbed.com/article/everyone-running-for-new-york-city-mayor… 

Mostly a bunch of radical leftists who want to run the Western world's capital of capitalism. If I had a vote, and knowing nothing at all of the candidates other than what is written in this list (except for Andrew Yang, who is somewhat famous), I'd vote for Eric Adams. Big machine city like NYC requires a long-time politician who understands how to run the day-to-day of the city. Adams is the current borough president of Brooklyn and appears to generally be a political insider. Despite being an elected NYC Democrat politician, it looks like he understands the importance of police and business, which (based on the list of candidates) is kind of an outlier. 

None of the Republicans has any chance at all, and Yang, while likely the most palatable candidate for national office, likely does not have the deep political knowledge to run a place like NYC. It doesn't just require competence (which I'm sure he has)--it requires that deep and abiding political insider knowledge. I just don't see it in him.

Looked at the link but hadn't read what you wrote below and my pick among the list was Adams as well. 

Array

Memberberries

Just read this list of candidates: https://www.curbed.com/article/everyone-running-for-new-york-city-mayor… 

Actually what is on that site doesn’t seem to be the best description of these candidates ... see the other thread in

Array

Born and Raised in the UES (22 years old rn) with parents and grandparents who were also born and raised in NYC (Bayside, Woodside, Bed-Stuy, and LIC (pre gentrification) respectively) who hold the same views as me (as does pretty much everyone I know who is from here). The biggest misconception right now is that Yang is going to win or that most New Yorkers will vote for him. I don't have a problem with Yang. Think he is a great guy. But like AOC, it is plainly obvious he is utilizing this mayoral run as a way to jack up his national profile without actually caring about the people in NYC. Quite a few questions in this election, I will write my thoughts down here below.

This election raises a lot of questions about what it truly means to be a New Yorker. Being 3rd gen as my great grandparents all immigrated from Eastern Europe and Asia respectively, I have a deep appreciation for immigrants in this city. The common consensus is that a New Yorker is someone who either grew up here or in the case of the 4 million literally half the city immigrant population, how strong you tie yourself to this city. I have friends whose parents who are immigrants, some of whom absolutely hate everything about the city and others who love every single second of it as an example. The reasoning for this is generally that no matter how much you try, your core beliefs, values, behaviors, mannerisms are always just tied to the place where you grew up/are from. The New Yorker attitude resonates the most in people who either were raised in the boroughs or people whose american experience started with NYC. Yang is simply not a new yorker. He pushes that so hard and is constantly having to defend himself because of how much he is trying to portray himself as living the lives that people like my parents and grandparents lived. The bodega video was one of the cringiest things I and many other people have seen. He is trying way too hard to prove himself as a New Yorker and it simply is not coming off right. New Yorks most celebrated mayor, Ed Koch was not from here either but as my grandparents put it, he did not try to push himself as a New Yorker but rather what he could do and had done for the city. Yang has done absolutely nothing for NYC in his life thus far. 

Second thing, this election and polls are really overemphasizing social media presence. Yang has a massive platform due to having run for president. But the biggest thing that seperates NYC from other cities is that it is still very traditional with elections. Unions like the UFT, clergy leaders, local councilman,local org endorsements, and most importantly candidates they know have massive sway over voters in this city. In case most people forget, lower manhattan only has maybe 800-900k total people. Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn hold over 6.5 million people of which a large portion are working class who do listen to endorsements and unions etc. My personal prediction is that Yang will win most of lower manhattan with the (no offense) transplant NYC resident votes, but will get absolutely wiped out in three large boroughs as people will opt to vote for local candidates like Eric Adams, Stringer, Morales etc. 

Lastly, the local candidates have immensly strong bases and roots in NYC. Scott Stringer, born and raised in upper manhattan. Eric Adams, born and raised in Brooklyn, was a cop and Borough president. Diane Morales, daughter of immigrants, who went to Stuyvesant one of NYCs prized public high schools along with Bronx Science showing how great NYC schools are. These are people New Yorkers relate too. Not Andrew Yang who grew up in Westchester and went to Phillips Exeter Academy. This is just my two cents, but I will be very surprised if Yang wins and moreso just disappointed that someone so out of touch and who does not actually care about NYC is going to be leading my beloved city. 

Omnis est ullam corrupti a. Minus aut quo impedit et possimus. Nobis pariatur molestiae labore et. Laudantium eaque aliquam ab ipsa velit.

Quae sequi quia aut. Nulla perspiciatis blanditiis veritatis quia impedit ea dolores ab. Laborum eius iure delectus id. Placeat in molestias commodi ut nemo quae maiores nisi.

Tempora fugiat hic dolores. Enim ut totam reiciendis. Corporis omnis repellat blanditiis est et sequi delectus quo. Repellat aut sint ut nostrum omnis. Tempore sapiente amet autem hic qui minus ab.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”