The GS Summer Insight Posts Are Killing Me

Title. The decision emails came out today and the absolute flood on my LinkedIn feed is killing me. God these kids make me want to throw myself off a cliff lol.

The program takes like 1k+ of 10k applications yet everyone is posting massive paragraphs about how honored they are and how much they're going to learn.

I did it last year... it was a couple of hours of zoom presentations spread over two months followed by s resume drop. Calm down.

Edit: especially the target kids who also put it as work experience on your LinkedIn. Aren't yall supposed to have more polish than this compared to the nontargets?

Edit2: congrats everyone, WSO posted about this thread lol.

Most Helpful

The fact that those posts are getting into your head doesn't make you any better than those kids lol

yea linked in has turned into a shitshow recently. I think by far the worst I have seen is the high school seniors posting all of their university application screenshots while announcing which uni they will attend SMHHHHH. I didn't even know what LinkedIn was when I was a senior so cringe

YESSSS THISSS I’m like bruh why how insecure are you. The worst I saw was:

“I’m humbled to announce I was accepted into Stanford early admission. I’ve decided I’m not going but I wanted to let you know I got in”

For real???

Yeah I mean it's not a huge time commitment. If you're a freshman just put it on in the background while you work your summer internship. If you're a sophomore just polish your resume for when the drop opens up at the end of the program.

It's an ok resume line item. Works well in your "skills, activities, and interests" section under a bullet point for like "exploratory programs" or "professional development." Don't be one of the kids who puts it as a whole thing under "work experience" on your resume or on LinkedIn lmao.

Edit: doesn't improve your chances, per se, but it does fast-track you to super day if your resume passes screening. Also, GS has an expanded definition of "diversity" (translated: includes Asians), so if you're Asian and you think you're not diverse but still got in, think again. But either way, I saw tons of plain white males in the zooms last summer (no idea if they were diverse in other ways like sexuality). Not selective at all and definitely not diversity exclusive.

If you go to my network-> following and make sure to filter by all you can unfollow your connections. Annoying because I was only able to figure out how to do it one person at a time but it is a bit faster because everyone is right there. Still well worth the time imo. After I did it I never have to read one of these annoying posts ever again.

Array

If you think this is annoying, I've been seeing a lot of posts from high schoolers posting about the college they got into and paragraphs thanking their friends and parents. They then change their header to "Incoming Freshman at The Wharton School". What's funnier is that the official accounts of the universities they got into end up posting something like: "Congrats! You deserve it."

Hmmm... that in my book is still better than the GS posts. At least Wharton is competitive and a real achievement. The flex posts where they show every school they applied/received offers from are a bit too much, but imo posting about being accepted as one of 1k+ from 10k is the rock bottom of Gen-Z levels of virtue signaling and desire for approval.

The worst is when they make a post about it specifically citing how there were "10,000 applicants" and then put it on there LinkedIn as a role and also in the header lmao

I don't want to riff on these kids who are just happy to share their achievements with their family and friends, but yes I notice they all mention "10,000 applicants" -- but not that 1,000 students got picked. Very convenient since, when I read "10,000 applicants", I think we're dealing with an acceptance rate of 1% or 0.1%, instead of the 10% acceptance rate it really is. 

I used to be pretty annoyed with these posts as well, but your perspective changes over time. Yes, some of these posts are stupid AF and written very poorly, and some are just frankly ridiculous, but there are some students who don't have that history of "success" in their family or are first-generation or are completely on their own, so I just give people the benefit of the doubt. 

"Markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."

Personally, I work for Goldman. Good for the kids that get invited, but it genuinely is nothing more than a glorified information session. If they’re smart, they wouldn’t post it as a position because they’re not currently or during that time period for the info session actually working there. I wouldn’t even put it as an internship, I’d put it under as a skillet/training. It makes you look like you don’t know what you’re doing if you put it under as a position.

Now the kids that actually get an internship, that’s a different story. But anything outside of that or a legit job offer/position, doesn’t need or I don’t think it should be listed as a position or anything like that but as a skill set/training. Just my thought on it.

Do you directly get a superday or hirevue if you do it?

Lol I also saw it and thought that it was so cringe.. and I didn't even know that they accept 1,000 applicants.. just lol

Now in Linkedin I only find cringe posts of ppl accepting offers or posts of ppl complaining at how companies demand 7 years of experience for entry position lol grow up, get a fking job and stop complaining you pieces of sh** sometimes I want to comment on those posts but I have to hold off

I personally can’t say if you get a HireVue or superday after. But my guess and anybody who genuinely has a brain and wouldn’t post an info session as a position or job, knows that they probably take your resume and build their candidate pool from there. I just still can’t get over kids and newbies posting about this, it’s not a bad opportunity or anything by all means, it’s just some of the grungiest and “did you review before hitting submit” kinda posts. I genuinely wish I could message them all and tell them to just stop. It’s all now for the glorification and recognition that they can use the company name loosely as if they work for them when they really don’t. I just don’t know what these kids or interns or whoever are taught in school these days, it’s social media 101, dont fabricate what you have or haven’t done.

What about a single line under skills and interests section and labeled as exploratory program?

It literally is an 8 week timeline of a few zoom calls, information sessions and overview of the company and where/when to submit your resumes to a pool. Not saying I’m against it or faulting any of them, I wish them all well. But c’mon, isn’t somebody or anybody telling them about Social Media 101? They’re posting these things public too so anybody can see them and then acting like they got a job offer.

imo i dont think it will do the wonders for me but coming from a non target having this experience is not harmful and i’ll definitely wont add it as work experience maybe i’ll put it with leadership&projects etc..

Nontarget who broke into GS IBD here. You're handling it the right way, the guy above you is just giving target kids more reasons to make fun of them.

Edit: admittedly, even targets have done this which is hilarious, but if you look on finmeme accounts it's the nontargets getting clowned on for doing this.

I found out that I was invited to this event, but did not think to post it on my LinkedIn. Is there any way that I can leverage this into any type of experience, as I am a community college freshman with no relevant experience?

Is it proven that 1000/10000 are accepted? I would say that's selective but not really selective.

Incoming insight commenter. Really looking forward to gaining experience commenting on one of the biggest forums in IB. A big thank you to WSO for the opportunity and for jump-starting what I hope will be a successful commenting career. #youcandoanythingyousetyourmindto

Dolores est reprehenderit atque eligendi ea aspernatur et. Id delectus quidem minima mollitia est deleniti.

Enim molestiae omnis qui qui. Iure dolorem ab aut ullam dolores earum eligendi. Ratione et nisi ex id impedit temporibus fuga. Et impedit assumenda ut enim eveniet. Quisquam sunt dolore eligendi maiores autem reiciendis id. Quisquam est aut libero et quia rem placeat.

Voluptates eligendi dolore ut enim. Et rem sint est rerum repellendus harum.

Maxime dignissimos qui vel quia eius voluptatem debitis ad. Aliquid autem nobis veritatis eaque. Magni commodi et quaerat praesentium voluptatem est.

Quis cumque deleniti eveniet dolorum dicta. Ut aliquid fugiat doloremque et tempora earum. Omnis ad expedita aut. Est dolorem facere deleniti vitae soluta nostrum.

Et dolore rerum ipsum officia consequatur voluptas. Eius eligendi numquam est et tempore. Voluptas qui quo nam aperiam velit vitae aut sed. Corrupti vitae autem non labore eaque quia. Nihil cumque voluptates qui assumenda debitis.

Et vel nihil occaecati ex. Maiores quia explicabo ipsum facere eligendi rem quisquam. Sed corporis eum vero aut. Fuga eveniet omnis mollitia. Qui vel adipisci voluptas omnis in.

Molestiae vel natus ea veniam ipsa sit odit. Et et cumque iusto nam unde et ratione ad. Architecto minus ipsa modi facere id magni tempora.

Eaque mollitia ipsum ut. Voluptatem qui fuga incidunt nam.

Voluptatem ullam cumque praesentium quaerat earum delectus quisquam animi. Eum reiciendis sunt tenetur in et. Iusto reiciendis veniam exercitationem amet omnis aut. At magnam aperiam nihil dolorum doloribus voluptatem.

Illum et ut commodi est. Dolor a provident et dignissimos. Doloribus asperiores sed omnis voluptate officia sit. Pariatur fuga eum nobis et necessitatibus et omnis et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”