Third Year, Semi-Target, 3.25 GPA: Couldn't Land SA IB internship, what to do to best prepare for FT IB recruiting?

Whats up guys,

I currently am a third year student at Texas McCombs School of Business. Over the course of 4 months I have been fighting hard to help land a Summer Analyst internship and it sucks to say I have lost this battle.

Going into recruiting I had a 3.25 cumulative GPA and I knew I would not have a slim chance at Bulge Bracket banks so I was banking on either Middle Market or Boutiques. I knew I would have to network my ass off to even think about getting a shot and I attempted to do that. I cold called/emailed various professionals and had a low success rate but had some successes none the less. Did informational interviews and even had some great conversations with these people. I also went to all the IB info sessions at my school networked with the associates from those banks and got great feedback from a few and got some cards and contacted them shortly after. First exchange of emails went great but contacting them a second time I had no luck.

On campus recruiting time came around and I dropped my resume for every bank that was recruiting and miraculously managed to get 3 first round interviews at boutiques: Tudor, Pickering, and Holt; Raymond James; and RBC Capital Markets. The interview rolls around and I feel like I did well but I don't get called back for a second round. I honestly don't know why because I answered all the technicals and fit questions very well. if I were to pick a factor though I feel like it may have been my story.

After not getting called back I started panicking because time was running out so I went on a different route of recruiting. With no other IB posts on our online recruiting I had to resume drop for corporate finance since that was all left. As of last week I accepted a F50 financial analyst internship in Aerospace/Defense industry. The whole situation is a bummer and it has been a rough time, but I want to keep on pushing for full time recruiting.

With this I was hoping to ask you guys:

* what should I do to now to best prepare for Full Time Recruiting?
* did I make a bad choice accepting a corporate finance internship?
* How bad will a corporate finance internship hurt when recruiting Full time?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any insight and advice

TL;DR: Got three SA interviews from Boutiques and didn't make it to second rounds. Want to try for FT recruiting so what do I do now?

You didn't make a mistake by doing corp finance. It's definitely better than working at McDonald's for the summer or cleaning pools. Maybe reach out to local boutiques in the summer for part-time fall internships. It won't be as comprehensive as a summer analyst program but it's better than nothing and will certainly help for FT recruitment.

Est quam molestiae ea. Atque sunt voluptatem dolor hic. Qui aut id voluptatem dolorem aut architecto. Hic earum et consequuntur. Aperiam in harum repellendus non neque eum harum.

Explicabo sed quis aut. Fuga qui iusto id consequatur accusantium facilis fugit voluptatum. Vero praesentium voluptatem voluptates quod ad architecto. Ipsum et ut sit eligendi. Exercitationem in et sint vero. Quisquam et odit nulla eos qui vel itaque et. Beatae aut pariatur molestiae consequuntur vel molestiae.

Ut consequatur voluptatem porro provident enim id quasi voluptatem. Et id asperiores accusamus hic aperiam est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”