I currently work in CF and love it.

I work in the aerospace and defense industry for one of the largest international government contractors. I live in FL (no state income tax). My base is comparable to top firm analyst pay (bonus is lower but equals out due to no state income tax). I live on the beach and typically only put in about 45-55 hours a week. 60 hours if we are working on something big.

I am mainly involved in FP&A with FO contracting type work so I do work with the government a lot on a day to day basis. We do have a corp dev m&a type division that I could move into down the line assuming I want to leave FL and stay with the company.

My company is going to finance my MBA when I choose to start it.

You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

Nefarious-:

I work in the aerospace and defense industry for one of the largest international government contractors. I live in FL (no state income tax). My base is comparable to top firm analyst pay (bonus is lower but equals out due to no state income tax). I live on the beach and typically only put in about 45-55 hours a week. 60 hours if we are working on something big.

I am mainly involved in FP&A with FO contracting type work so I do work with the government a lot on a day to day basis. We do have a corp dev m&a type division that I could move into down the line assuming I want to leave FL and stay with the company.

Are you thinking about staying for the long run or exiting to something else? What kind of mba programs seem possible?

Best Response
bears1208:
Nefarious-:

Are you thinking about staying for the long run or exiting to something else? What kind of mba programs seem possible?

Right now I was one of two people put on a team as "team leads/managers" to build a finance department for a division we recently acquired. It is a pretty unique experience and one that will shine on my resume for future experiences.

As far as staying with the company, obviously that is my ace in the hole. The company is going to be paying for my MBA so I will be staying with them until that is complete. I love my company so I would stick around and see what would happen. The only thing I would consider leaving it for is if an interesting position opened up in an area I want to live in for a job in the A&D division with some sort of banking firm.

As far as MBA program, CorpFin isn't like banking where you leave to get your MBA. They pay for your MBA so you take classes while you continue to work. I would look near my region and also at online programs like MBA@UNC (UNC Chapel Hill's online MBA).

You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

spartan119:
Raytheon?

Boeing/LM/Northrop/Raytheon

SECfinance:
Nefarious it sounds like you have a great job. Was CF always what you wanted to do? I'm assuming no since you're on WSO but you never know.

When I graduated college it was right as shit was hitting the fan with the economy. I was initially going to go to law school, but that idea went out the window when I realized there weren't good opportunities in that during the time. I took a job with a small tech firm doing Financial Analysis and Business Development. During that time I decided I wanted to get into banking and starting networking/interviewing/stumbled across WSO. I ended up going to a few superdays, one for a LevFin group at Wells in Charlotte. I ended up realizing I didn't want to work the 100 hour weeks as I have responsibilities outside of work (dog, fiance, etc). Plus I love my personal life (lifting, homebrew, being a badass) too much to become a banking slave.

I ended up reconnecting with a guy whose son went to school with me and is good friends with my family. We ended up talking and it turned out he was a big wig at my company. That didn't mean a free pass by any means, it just meant he had the keys to get me into one hell of a gauntlet to get my current job.

Who knows, like I said above, if an interesting opp at a bank for A&D came up, I might seriously consider it, but I think it would be after my company helped me through my MBA.

Nefarious, I'm currently a senior looking very closely at a career in FP&A. Would you mind if I PM you for a few questions about the field?

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer.

Al Bundy:
Nefarious, I'm currently a senior looking very closely at a career in FP&A. Would you mind if I PM you for a few questions about the field?

No problem at all; however, I apologize if I do not get to the PMs in a timely fashion.

Illum sunt temporibus facilis doloremque occaecati. Sint eos dolorum dolor eligendi quia quidem.

Rerum quaerat sit aut voluptatem omnis vel reprehenderit. Beatae deserunt nesciunt voluptas enim ullam qui sunt. Explicabo vel iusto dignissimos. Illum aspernatur voluptatem quos.

There's a closer meaning to my user name. Try reading it quickly. Perhaps you will then understand ;P

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”