Top 20 Groups on the Street 2013

In terms of exit opps to the buyside/PE/HF, the following are the top 20 groups on the street. Dropped GS rankings because GS analysts get fired if they get caught recruiting.

1) Blackstone Restructuring / M&A
2) MS M&A
3) GS TMT
4) GS FIG
5) Lazard
6) Evercore / Moelis
7) GS Healthcare
8) MS TMT
9) CS Lev Fin
10) JPM Sponsors
11) GS Consumer & Retail
12) MS Sponsors
13) JPM FIG / TMT / HC
14) Barclays Natural Resources
15) CS Sponsors
16) Citi M&A / JPM M&A
17) BAML M&A and Lev Fin
18) Deutsche Lev Fin/Sponsors
19) CS M&A / Greenhill
20) Perella Weinberg Partners / Centerview / Qatalyst Partners

Thoughts?

How many times is this list going to be updated? Why don't you just make it a top 22 list if there is a 3-way tie for last? Where did PJ go?

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

LMAO he even changed his name from GoldmanOrBust to now PJorBust....how piper jaffrayish of you

whats your agenda here? you never had Perella til i brought it up, or jefferies until someone else brought it up, or centerview...and then you take out Piper which shouldnt have been in the first place.

I don't throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought- GG

UBS M&A is almost nonexistent now as they decided to make a move towards the GS/BarCap model. Their best groups would be FSLF (has been combined again / placed this year's class into a MF PE firm, a distressed firm and several upper MM PE shops), TMT (placed one into a MF PE firm and one into an upper MM PE shop among other solid outs) and GIG (get solid interviews).

UBS sucks in general so would stay away if you have the chance but those are the group rankings.

PiperJaffrayOrBust:

SOLELY IN TERMS OF EXIT OPPS TO PE, the following are the top 20 groups on the street. Restructuring not included since they mostly exit to distressed funds.

1) GS TMT
2) GS FIG
3) Blackstone M&A
4) MS M&A
5) JPM M&A, Sponsors
6) CS Sponsors
7) MS TMT
8) Lazard M&A
9) GS Healthcare
10) MS Sponsors
11) GS Consumer & Retail
12) CS M&A
13) JPM FIG
14) Barclays Natural Resources
15) Greenhill
16) Citi M&A / Evercore M&A
17) BAML M&A and Lev Fin
18) Deutsche M&A and Sponsors
19) UBS M&A
20) Jefferies Healthcare / Perella Weinberg Partners / Centerview

Thoughts?

This list is so Piper Jaffray-ish of you

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Best Response
chak:

See: http://dealbreaker.com/2012/05/goldman-sachs-does-...

I would like to point out how dated that is.

MS had a similar policy in effect, yet mere months (something like 3-5 after the original announcement) later they repealed it due to massive pushback from the analyst and (surprisingly) associate levels. GS tried to flat-out ban it, but many people got around that. First years with HF offers still leave days after their first bonus clears, rising second years magically announce that they have a MF offer (which could only have been obtained months earlier), and people still send around impromptu "leaving the Firm, I am grateful and humbled to have worked here" messages at random points through the year when they get the job they want.

If you work at GS, people will come knocking on your door to lure you away. That hasn't changed, and I think it is unlikely to change in the near future. The only question will be the mental process you go through to evaluate whether you want to stay within the firm or not: the money, access, perks, and responsibilities of your position in the firm vs. what is dangled in front of your nose elsewhere.

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

APAE:

I would like to point out how dated that is.

MS had a similar policy in effect, yet mere months (something like 3-5 after the original announcement) later they repealed it due to massive pushback from the analyst and (surprisingly) associate levels. GS tried to flat-out ban it, but many people got around that. First years with HF offers still leave days after their first bonus clears, rising second years magically announce that they have a MF offer (which could only have been obtained months earlier), and people still send around impromptu "leaving the Firm, I am grateful and humbled to have worked here" messages at random points through the year when they get the job they want.

If you work at GS, people will come knocking on your door to lure you away. That hasn't changed, and I think it is unlikely to change in the near future. The only question will be the mental process you go through to evaluate whether you want to stay within the firm or not: the money, access, perks, and responsibilities of your position in the firm vs. what is dangled in front of your nose elsewhere.

Dated? It's one recruiting cycle old...

Yes, MS repealed their program, for the better.

1 GS analyst that I know personally got fired a few months ago for recruiting for the buy-side while he was a first-year (and then lying about it...but nonetheless). Yes, GS still sends people to buy-side -- people have learned to navigate around the system. But that's besides the point. The discussion centers around the fact that if a ranking is based on "buy side exit opps" then those criteria are much better met by firms that not only enable but encourage analysts to recruit for PE. The barriers GS put in place do not eliminate PE recruiting but make it harder.

chak:
Unfortunately I cannot post too much more without revealing identifying information. I'm sorry your friend was fired, if that's the case, but I certainly have not heard so and I feel like I'm in a position where I would have.

chak:
people have learned to navigate around the system.

Any idea how?

BTW, did Qatalyst ever send anyone to the buyside besides that one guy who went to KKR Accel?

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. See my Blog & AMA

Some PE results from the last two years at CS Tech -KKR -H&F -SLP -Onex

Given that maybe 3 analysts a year actually wanted PE (rest going VC, corporate shit at tech companies, staying for associate, etc), I'd say that's pretty dece. Post-Boutros/Quattrone taking off too. Take WSO "Top 20" lists with a grain of salt. Especially for west coast shit.

I don't think CS sponsors has sent anyone to a MF since 2009 (I heard that from a very smart friend tho...so not 100% sure if its true). However, I don't see them on any of the team pages of PE funds.

And trust me, JPM M&A and Sponsors are not better than Lazard or GS HC. Sponsors definitely places NOTABLY better than M&A there; however, JPM is now a 3 year program and while the M&A guys will still leave normally (lots of them leave for HFs after the first year), those sponsors guys are really locked in for 3 years. After all, they recruit basically through their MDs who I doubt will facilitate them breaking their contract with JPM to help them leave at the 2 year mark.

GS HC actually this last year had placement that I would argue rivals BX M&A and their culture is good. However, I have some friends there who claim they stay later than their peers in TMT frequently. Admittedly, they do have saturdays off...not sure if HR is changing that back, but I hear the program was well received.

Finally, really? EVR and Citi M&A are on the same level? EVR belongs up there with Lazard. The guys I know there go to places like KKR, WP, Mercado, etc.

I definitely wouldn't rank a lot of the other firms where you did, but that's some of the biggies for me.

List is arbitrary, clearly.

Bucketing, on the other hand, starts to approach some measure of rationality and hopefully still satisfies the ranking circle jerk.

Bucket 1: GS TMT/FIG/HC, BX M&A/RR, MS Bucket 2: Rest of GS, MS, JPM, most Elite Boutiques (EVR, GHL, Moelis, etc.) Bucket 3: Most other BB's Bucket 4: MM's (Jefferies, WB, etc.) and UBS Bucket 5: Regional Boutiques

dreamer1992:

2. Sigh I ll never understand why BX M&A is the top group on the Street. Can anyone name any memorable deals they advised on? They are sponging off the BX PE and RX prestige

It isn't considered the top group on the street, but you're correct, a huge portion of it has to do with association. On top of that, the firm's recruiting mechanism is so strict that the caliber of professional getting hired into the group at any level (from analyst on up) is on par with those in R&R and PE. Getting into R&R is harder because the analyst class is smaller, but the filtering is exactly the same for M&A: top school, great grades, very solid prior experience, tremendously strong interview performance.

Because of that, their analysts have the profile every buy-side shop wants + the Blackstone brand + recommendations (and often proactive calls and assistance) from seniors in the group. Yes, the group doesn't get mandates for landmark deals. Yes, it's largely buy-sides done out of the group. Yes, there isn't the same capital markets exposure you're going to get at a bulge bracket.

Despite all of that, however, the placement is routinely top-notch. MS M&A, GS TMT, and GS FIG don't send >50% of their analyst class to MFs, stellar HFs, and the top-notch MM shops that many people pick over MFs.

APAE:
dreamer1992:

2. Sigh I ll never understand why BX M&A is the top group on the Street. Can anyone name any memorable deals they advised on? They are sponging off the BX PE and RX prestige

It isn't considered the top group on the street, but you're correct, a huge portion of it has to do with association. On top of that, the firm's recruiting mechanism is so strict that the caliber of professional getting hired into the group at any level (from analyst on up) is on par with those in R&R and PE. Getting into R&R is harder because the analyst class is smaller, but the filtering is exactly the same for M&A: top school, great grades, very solid prior experience, tremendously strong interview performance.

Because of that, their analysts have the profile every buy-side shop wants + the Blackstone brand + recommendations (and often proactive calls and assistance) from seniors in the group. Yes, the group doesn't get mandates for landmark deals. Yes, it's largely buy-sides done out of the group. Yes, there isn't the same capital markets exposure you're going to get at a bulge bracket.

Despite all of that, however, the placement is routinely top-notch. MS M&A, GS TMT, and GS FIG don't send >50% of their analyst class to MFs, stellar HFs, and the top-notch MM shops that many people pick over MFs.

This. I don't think a PE shop cares about the size of the fee on the deal or the "prestige" of said deal. They care about recruiting smart people.

Itaque in harum sapiente eos. Accusantium excepturi adipisci totam rem esse. Quaerat esse in quia aspernatur veniam. Harum voluptatem quasi quae voluptas.

Ut tempore nemo ea ea minus. Rerum veniam autem molestiae accusantium aut sunt perspiciatis rerum. Ab qui consequuntur culpa.

Eos vel delectus molestiae quia distinctio. Labore dolorum deleniti excepturi in numquam id. Voluptatem at dolorem labore. Est pariatur atque quam est aut illum. Amet pariatur molestiae eius exercitationem non eos.

Fugiat nulla est quisquam voluptas culpa. Et rerum quis dolor libero qui. Qui et labore magnam maiores atque et impedit id. Tempora perferendis voluptatum rerum.

Vero id in dignissimos assumenda eaque est. Provident sunt voluptatem aut ab. Nostrum quasi et eaque ad. Dolorum ratione sequi ipsum perferendis ut. Optio aut fuga velit deleniti et earum alias esse.

Consequatur incidunt expedita consequatur veniam reiciendis ipsum. Tempora dolores labore vero perspiciatis officiis et est atque. Sapiente natus quam tempora sequi voluptatem et. Repellat nihil quia debitis.

Dignissimos nesciunt voluptatibus omnis qui beatae consequuntur et cumque. Architecto voluptatum dolor deleniti quidem quos. Non explicabo autem aut optio aliquam. Quisquam unde nesciunt beatae dolorum voluptas omnis.

Eveniet sunt beatae quod ea est saepe omnis. Deleniti rerum sed ut est amet voluptatem vero eos. Qui ratione reprehenderit illum dolorum.

Earum porro quis qui optio totam. Excepturi beatae nemo error quisquam illum. Et explicabo quisquam omnis consequatur dolorem. Nisi deserunt temporibus quasi quis quo ex.

Voluptate aliquid quae quod et dolorem. Asperiores magnam ut a velit et. Perferendis cumque nesciunt explicabo et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (85) $262
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (65) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (198) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (143) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”