Top Business School Changed the Offer After My Acceptance

TNU's picture
Rank: Chimp | 9

Update

Thanks for everyone in this thread. The school decided to waive the condition from the offer so I don't have to go down the nasty way.

I also have consulted legal professionals and they believe in this situation, I will build a very strong case, because:
- The offer (an unilateral contract) very clearly and explicitly stated what are the acceptance conditions
- I have met all of the conditions which indicates I have accepted the contract. It is legally binded between me and the school
- Changing the offer condition means breach of contract and there will be legal/financial concequences
- I should not pay any price or cost for their unilatral mistakes

In case anyone faces the similar situation to this, I hope this will help you** if you are in the UK**.

=================================

Original

I have received an offer from my dream business school a little more than a week ago. I then immediately shared this good news with my friends and family and started to plan my future - quit my job, turned down other interviews, booked my holidays, paid my summer school, looking for new accommodation near the school and prepare for my CFA exam in June. For me, it was like a dream came true, and I've dreamed for this moment for a long time.

I paid the reservation fee 7500GBP, signed the term and agreement and every other document the offer requested and sent it to the admission office. You'd think everything is settled right?

I then got told, there was a "technical issue" which omitted the condition (an improvement on GMAT) from the original offer. And they've only found out this because I sent an inquiry email regarding my login details - meaning they wouldn't realise this otherwise. All of this means, I will pay a huge cost, not only financially, for the admission team's mistake, in which they have so much time and so many opportunities to rectify it. And my cost for their mistake is going to be life-changing.

To my knowledge of contract law, I have accepted the offer - meaning it is legally binding now and each party should fulfil its legal obligation. Therefore the school can either honour the offer or withdraw/change the offer(breach of contract). And I can't think of any reason for the school to risk its reputation.

What should I do? Your advice and comment are very much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (5)

May 12, 2018

Consult a lawyer

May 12, 2018

Sounds incredible mate sorry to hear that. Best thing you could do is to consult a lawyer or a specialist

May 15, 2018

Thank you and thanks for everyone else in this thread. The school decided to waive the condition from the offer so I don't have to go down the nasty way.

I also have consulted legal professionals and they believe in this situation, I will build a very strong case, because:
- The offer (an unilateral contract) very clearly and explicitly stated what are the acceptance conditions
- I have met all of the conditions which indicates I have accepted the contract. It is legally binded between me and the school
- Changing the offer condition means breach of contract and there will be legal/financial concequences
- I should not pay any price or cost for their unilatral mistakes

In case anyone faces the similar situation to this, I hope this will help you** if you are in the UK**.

May 14, 2018

This sucks man, I would be careful pushing to rejoin though, it may be too risky with future haters even if lawyers get you through. Get a copy of the original you signed because it may appear you did nothing wrong for the injury

Maybe a good time to call your backup acceptances and reboot interviews

May 15, 2018
Comment