I've been out of school for 5 years, and worked in sales and trading since the beginning of my career. Fixed incomes s&t for 4 years, and now equity trading for 1.5 years.

Ultimately, I'd like to transition to the buy side, likely as a trader at first, but ultimately as a PM. I realize that this is a fairly unorthodox route.

Does anyone have any suggestions on designations that might help facilitate this move? Also, I've been trading my own account in hopes to build a track record of professional money management skills. I believe that a few years of showing successful trading and returns could help facilitate this move. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Designations that might be helpful? I'm guessing the CFA is the obvious answer from the group but what about other designations like CMT, CIPM etc etc?