True 2BR in West Village for $3,000-A Success Story

I stand here today as living proof that it is possible to find a true 2 bedroom in West Village for $3,000/month total. Before you go freaking out and telling me there's a dead person being eaten by NYC's giant rats in my basement, everything checked out. Did I get absolutely violated by broker's fees? Yes (roughly 15%). But did I lock in an absolutely perfect location, renovated 3rd floor walk-up with true queen sized bedrooms and room for a couch and tv in the living room? Also yes. Here's my advice for anybody looking for the same:

I spent about the past month searching every "no-fee" website, management companies, buildings, craigslist, personal connections, etc. You name it and I've been on there looking for places. From my experience, nearly every post you see on the internet during the months of May-September, regardless of whether or not it lists as "no-fee" will have a broker attached to it. Most of these people are extremely shady and will drag you all over the city seeing properties you have no interest in only to demand 15% fee at the end of the day. Their goal is to show you as many places as possible so that when (and if) you sign an agreement with them, they've locked in the fees. Many of the listings they show you will be ones you can find on your own online and are in no way their exclusives.

Avoiding broker's fees entirely during the summer months, in my opinion, is near impossible. You can, however, negotiate down to roughly 8.3%-12% if you're willing to be patient. I tried to work with one broker exclusively who was recommended to me but that just gets to be a nightmare. These properties go too fast and too many people are looking for you to tie yourself to one person and their listings. The best method for finding a place: be on craigslist, padmapper, streeteasy, etc. first thing in the morning and crank out as many calls to places as you're interested and go see them ASAP. Continue checking and calling throughout the day and be prepared to be all over the city. Have all your paperwork ready to go, bring your computer and charger to dip into Starbucks to re-search, and absolutely do not pass up on a place you like to see others. The first place you see, put in an app and the worst case is you lose the $100 fee (some also make you put in a deposit you lose if accepted and turn it down).

Bottom line, the rental market is absolutely crazy right now. Many of the places I'd call already had 10-20 people ahead of me and most had others looking at the place while I was there. It's not easy and it is certainly frustrating, but the good news is it's possible. Many people on this site tout being able to avoid broker's fees altogether, but in my experience, as outrageous as they are, it ended up being worth it.

A $3000 apartment with no elevator? I live in Houston and that would get you this.

http://www.7riverway.com/

One of our IBD analysts lives here. I go to his place every now and then to chill. He is overlooking Houston. He has an awesome balcony. The complex offers a personal trainer as part of your rent. Valet service. There is free wine tasting on Tuesdays/Thursdays. Bathrooms have granite/marble and stainless steel decorated in a roman style with columns in the middle. His includes a spa. Keep in mind this is located in Houston's richest area, where there is Saks and Aston Martins are common.

Array

Best Response
TeddyTheBear:

A $3000 apartment with no elevator? I live in Houston and that would get you this.

One of our IBD analysts lives here. I go to his place every now and then to chill. He is overlooking Houston. He has an awesome balcony. The complex offers a personal trainer as part of your rent. Valet service. There is free wine tasting on Tuesdays/Thursdays. Bathrooms have granite/marble and stainless steel decorated in a roman style with columns in the middle. His includes a spa. Keep in mind this is located in Houston's richest area, where there is Saks and Aston Martins are common.

Nice building, would definitely be the type of place I'd go if I lived in Houston. NYC is so ridiculous and these fellow monkeys are so blind. I live in a luxury high-rise (1BR condo, 850 sq ft) in Center City Philadelphia and my mortgage (~$1,800) plus HOA fees (~$500) is ~$2,300 a month (taxes are negligible, and if you consider the mortgage interest deduction plus the fact that some of the mortgage goes to principal, it's even less than $2,300 a month). This is my building:

http://www.themuranocondominium.com

How much would a similar place be in Manhattan? At least $4,000 a month (probably closer to $5,000); and that's to RENT.

alexpasch:
TeddyTheBear:

Nice building, would definitely be the type of place I'd go if I lived in Houston. NYC is so ridiculous and these fellow monkeys are so blind. I live in a luxury high-rise (1BR condo, 850 sq ft) in Center City Philadelphia and my mortgage (~$1,800) plus HOA fees (~$500) is ~$2,300 a month (taxes are negligible, and if you consider the mortgage interest deduction plus the fact that some of the mortgage goes to principal, it's even less than $2,300 a month). This is my building:

http://www.themuranocondominium.com

How much would a similar place be in Manhattan? At least $4,000 a month (probably closer to $5,000); and that's to RENT.

Sweet place. What do you do in Philadelphia?

shorttheworld:

That ain't shit I was paying 3500 for 1300 sq ft two bed two and a half bath two story two living room with washing machine room and Porsche design kitchen with Viking sub zero appliances in Columbus circle

1,300 sq ft for 2BR, 2.5Bath, and two living rooms and a (presumably, given sub zero does not make small appliances) large kitchen? Doesn't sound right. So you're telling me you have an extra living room, 1.5 bath, and extra bedroom in an additional 500 sq ft? I guess it's possible. But 1,300 sq. ft. is not a ton of space. I had a 1,300 sq. ft. ONE bedroom apt back when I lived in Nashville.

Btw, the proper term is "laundry room". I know they are rare up in NYC but let's use the proper terminology here.

Lastly, I just don't believe you. Please provide us a comparable listing that shows you can get a 2-story, 2-bedroom ~1,300 sq. ft. apartment in columbus circle for 3,500 a month. Rent control doesn't count...

JENS88:

I stand here today as living proof that it is possible to find a true 2 bedroom in West Village for $3,000/month total. Before you go freaking out and telling me there's a dead person being eaten by NYC's giant rats in my basement, everything checked out. Did I get absolutely violated by broker's fees? Yes (roughly 15%). But did I lock in an absolutely perfect location, renovated 3rd floor walk-up with true queen sized bedrooms and room for a couch and tv in the living room? Also yes. Here's my advice for anybody looking for the same:

I spent about the past month searching every "no-fee" website, management companies, buildings, craigslist, personal connections, etc. You name it and I've been on there looking for places. From my experience, nearly every post you see on the internet during the months of May-September, regardless of whether or not it lists as "no-fee" will have a broker attached to it. Most of these people are extremely shady and will drag you all over the city seeing properties you have no interest in only to demand 15% fee at the end of the day. Their goal is to show you as many places as possible so that when (and if) you sign an agreement with them, they've locked in the fees. Many of the listings they show you will be ones you can find on your own online and are in no way their exclusives.

Avoiding broker's fees entirely during the summer months, in my opinion, is near impossible. You can, however, negotiate down to roughly 8.3%-12% if you're willing to be patient. I tried to work with one broker exclusively who was recommended to me but that just gets to be a nightmare. These properties go too fast and too many people are looking for you to tie yourself to one person and their listings. The best method for finding a place: be on craigslist, padmapper, streeteasy, etc. first thing in the morning and crank out as many calls to places as you're interested and go see them ASAP. Continue checking and calling throughout the day and be prepared to be all over the city. Have all your paperwork ready to go, bring your computer and charger to dip into Starbucks to re-search, and absolutely do not pass up on a place you like to see others. The first place you see, put in an app and the worst case is you lose the $100 fee (some also make you put in a deposit you lose if accepted and turn it down).

Bottom line, the rental market is absolutely crazy right now. Many of the places I'd call already had 10-20 people ahead of me and most had others looking at the place while I was there. It's not easy and it is certainly frustrating, but the good news is it's possible. Many people on this site tout being able to avoid broker's fees altogether, but in my experience, as outrageous as they are, it ended up being worth it.

I'm sorry but what was impressive about this? You live in a walk up and paid a 15% brokers fee.

Renovations are the "new" thing - they renovate and repaint/make some minor changes and sell it to you at a 20% premium - great job that you fell for it, these kind of "renovated" apartments are everwhere in the east/west village.

If this offends you, get used to it. Welcome to NYC apartment hunting.

UFOinsider:

LOL the commute from JC waterfront is shorter UES and WV....and much cheaper.

Hard to understand your sentence but regardless.... are you saying commuting from Jersey is shorter than West Village? Are you high?

It takes me 10-15 minutes to Midtown and 10-15 minutes to Fin. District. from my apartment. I've made it to work in Midtown in 9 minutes from West Village if the subway comes right when I get there.

Frank Sinatra - "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy."

yeahright:
UFOinsider:

LOL the commute from JC waterfront is shorter UES and WV....and much cheaper.

Hard to understand your sentence but regardless.... are you saying commuting from Jersey is shorter than West Village? Are you high?

It takes me 10-15 minutes to Midtown and 10-15 minutes to Fin. District. from my apartment. I've made it to work in Midtown in 9 minutes from West Village if the subway comes right when I get there.

Whoops, meant EAST Village, WV is definitely better. JC is still 50% cheaper and I make it door to door in 20 mins. Still beats UES -> downtown commute
Get busy living

@JSonDx paperwork was pretty standard: past two pay stubs, letter of employment, last year's tax return, last two bank statements. The entire process from viewing the apartment to approval took less than 6 hours, they are mainly looking for good credit and steady income.

@DaisukiDaYo nothing particularly impressive, just offering an experience because many people are looking for similar apartments right now. I got killed by broker's fees and expenses just like everybody else.

Rem blanditiis dolor reiciendis in fugit voluptatem magni numquam. Officiis deserunt nemo error ad. Ut voluptatem quisquam molestiae eos reiciendis nostrum. Earum eligendi aut reprehenderit ipsam quo et laboriosam minus.

Mollitia omnis ratione facere corrupti minima. Quia quam alias corporis iure necessitatibus expedita ratione. Aut veritatis sequi quisquam minima voluptatem.

Qui reiciendis velit aliquam ut perspiciatis. Aliquid asperiores officiis est praesentium sit voluptatem.

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis - when I was dead broke man I couldn't picture this

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”