Turning down FT IB offer to recruit MBB?
Please forgive the copy-pasta, but posting here in the consulting section in case anyone else might have some suggestions :) Thanks so much!
Let me preface this by saying how I realize how fortunate I am to be in this situation at all. I know there are scores of kids who would think I'm being a fool for even considering this, especially during COVID, but as this is a big decision I figured it'd be worth asking here.
I recently interned at a "top" BB this summer in a product group. While I liked the people I worked with, I generally found the work less interesting than I had expected and the hours a bit more brutal than expected (staffed on live deals, working 90-110 hours a few weeks). Previously, I had been interested in consulting because I imagine based on my interests that the work would appeal to me slightly more, but had elected to focus my recruiting efforts on IB due to the early deadlines and pervasive groupthink that exists at the school I attend, which could be considered a target for both consulting and IB. To boot, from conversations with people in the industry I gather that the work life balance is generally better (traveling sounds brutal and hours are still tough but weekends sound generally more protected), which I believe I'd value a lot. Also for what it's worth, I believe traveling wouldn't be a huge consideration considering I genuinely love traveling and bumping shoulders with new people.
In short: as someone who cherishes time with family and friends, I really could see myself enjoying the slightly reduced workload of consulting. However, with COVID making recruiting a virtual nightmare and with many consulting firms giving auto-offers to their summer interns, I'm not sure how likely it would be to receive an offer from an "equal" firm in the consulting space as where I interned this summer. On paper at least, I feel as though I would only really be happy with my decision to switch roles if I was able to land a FT offer at MBB. Though I realize how privileged this sounds, I feel as though this would be the only type of trade-off worth the risk and uncertainty of rejecting my current offer.
Any advice or opinions would really be appreciated. Thanks!