UBS Voyager Program 2012

Is anybody here applying to the UBS Voyager program this year?

Seems like the information about it on WSO is pretty vague (have already searched). Does anybody know if this will actually give attendees a leg up on the application process, or if it's just a glorified corporate presentation?

Don't overthink it. If you go, you're going to have a) demonstrated interest in the firm, b) met a number of bankers and had the opportunity to impress them and network heavily, c) learned some key bullet points about the firm you can regurgitate in interviews.

If you get the chance, go. If not, network anyway.

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

APAE:
Don't overthink it. If you go, you're going to have a) demonstrated interest in the firm, b) met a number of bankers and had the opportunity to impress them and network heavily, c) learned some key bullet points about the firm you can regurgitate in interviews.

If you get the chance, go. If not, network anyway.

Agreed. I'm going.

Haters gonna hate

APAE, you're certainly right. It can't hurt in terms of networking. However, there's a definite trade-off to it. They don't pay for you to go out to Chicago/NY, so travel expenses (fuel/place ticket, hotel, parking, etc.) are out of pocket. Additionally, you're basically sacrificing a weekend that could be spent on other causes (homework, partying, take your pick). Therefore the question: is it worth the time and monetary investment?

As far as I am aware, they did not rescind offers. I do know that they gathered all the IBD interns in a room during week 6 and told them that they would be unable to provide full-time offers until October due to headcount concerns and budget worries. They concurrently went and fired dozens of analysts two days before first-year bonuses were due.

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

Best Response
arguewithatree:
It was only due yesterday. From experience, UBS usually takes ~1 week to respond from the date app is due. Wait until this Friday
The UBS Voyager application for Chicago was due on the 10th (a little earlier than the NY application deadline). I know you guys will laugh -- "it's UBS Chicago" -- but it'd be fun to make a weekend of it, and there's no way I'm purchasing a plane ticket to fly out to New York to network with UBS when the advantages of attending the program are dubious to begin with.

Thanks for your thoughts! Hopefully we'll hear back soon.

arguewithatree:
Was the app just your resume? I heard there was also an essay but I didn't see an option to submit one..?

No, there was no essay, but an optional cover letter. I wrote a single paragraph explaining my desire to attend the program.

JamesHetfield:
arguewithatree:
Was the app just your resume? I heard there was also an essay but I didn't see an option to submit one..?

No, there was no essay, but an optional cover letter. I wrote a single paragraph explaining my desire to attend the program.

Iol I bet they won't read it...

Just got an invitation to the Chicago one as well. I have copied relevant sections from the email.

"Please Note: As indicated in the event posting, Voyager:Chicago was designed for those who will be in the Chicago area on October 26th. You will be responsible for providing your own travel."

Here is an agenda for the day.

10.45am Student Arrival 11.00am to 11.15am Campus Welcome and Recruiting Overview 11.15am to 12.00pm Junior Internship Panel 12.00pm to 12.45pm Key note Speaker 12.45pm to 1.00pm Q&A 1.00pm to 3.00pm Networking Session 3.00pm to 3.15pm Closing Remarks

Assuming this event is like any other event banks host in their offices, the networking session alone should be worth the trip.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

I am going to assume that I will not be attending this program. I wonder what I did wrong?

Stats: Non-target looking for Middle/Back Office junior internship at a BB. Currently interning as a Finance intern at a smaller firm. M&I Resume format. Near perfect GPA in Econ/Acc majors.

I feel slightly miffed.

Those of you who got the invite, what were your stats?

JamesHetfield:
I am going to assume that I will not be attending this program. I wonder what I did wrong?

Stats: Non-target looking for Middle/Back Office junior internship at a BB. Currently interning as a Finance intern at a smaller firm. M&I Resume format. Near perfect GPA in Econ/Acc majors.

I feel slightly miffed.

I'm pretty sure it's because you're from a non target. Same situation with me. If you think about it, this is just like the information sessions that they do at target schools. It's pretty obvious who they prefer attends the event, even if some non target applicants are as competitive, if not more competitive, than all of the target applicants. I guess all we can do is work harder and network harder in search of that lucky break.

nontarget kid:
JamesHetfield:

I feel slightly miffed.

I'm pretty sure it's because you're from a non target. Same situation with me. If you think about it, this is just like the information sessions that they do at target schools. It's pretty obvious who they prefer attends the event, even if some non target applicants are as competitive, if not more competitive, than all of the target applicants. I guess all we can do is work harder and network harder in search of that lucky break.

Sorry but this is just ridiculous. Are you trying to say you are more competitive than all target applicants? You are on one side lambasting the sweeping generalizations banks make in their recruitment process (which actually have some justification) and on another making sweeping generalizations about kids at targets.

nontarget kid:
For those of you who were invited, what were your stats? What do you think made you stand out amongst the other applicants? I'm just curious for future reference.

varsity sports, interesting experiences, not just a number cruncher

Haters gonna hate

advantageplayer:
nontarget kid:
For those of you who were invited, what were your stats? What do you think made you stand out amongst the other applicants? I'm just curious for future reference.

Target or non-target? Other stats?

advantageplayer:
nontarget kid:

You have a pretty good combination of a target school and sports. Just don't assume that only athletes are hired. When you arrive at UBS on the 2nd, I think you will find that some of the other students will not have any athletics, but will excel in other areas.

JamesHetfield:
UBS should have stated that this event is for target kids only. Would have saved me the trouble of the application.

Don't give up. You will find that every position at these banks is secretly for targets only. That's why we have to network hard to overcome it. Keep sending applications. If you haven't applied to the Barclays boot camp program, do it now. It takes five minutes and you might get a shot.

nontarget kid:
JamesHetfield:
UBS should have stated that this event is for target kids only. Would have saved me the trouble of the application.

Don't give up. You will find that every position at these banks is secretly for targets only. That's why we have to network hard to overcome it. Keep sending applications. If you haven't applied to the Barclays boot camp program, do it now. It takes five minutes and you might get a shot.

Hey nontarget kid, what Barclays boot camp are you referring to in your post?

Great advice, by the way.

I'm a non-target that got in. I have a business ventures internship where I am creating cost saving models, also have a key role in the investment club at my University, among other activities and interests that I noted.

Voluptatem earum ad debitis qui reiciendis adipisci repellat ut. Velit quis velit deleniti minus maxime ipsum.

Rerum minima perferendis sed modi sed. Quas id numquam a quia dolores. Omnis placeat libero voluptatum et. Perspiciatis natus natus laborum minus quia.

Est tempore aliquid quisquam veniam ducimus deserunt aliquid. Nemo a enim aut adipisci sunt. Tempore magnam recusandae unde laborum error.

Consequatur consequatur numquam temporibus non sapiente nihil. Molestias accusamus et veniam impedit ad excepturi iure. Illo minus sit veniam repellendus ipsam.

Ut ex nihil dolorem rerum ad voluptas totam. Aut maxime mollitia ex totam necessitatibus nesciunt. Voluptate dolorem sit consequatur ut neque. Nesciunt dolores aut vero ad. Necessitatibus accusantium corporis ipsam.

Libero sunt ut consequuntur ducimus quos. Ut ab maiores rerum corporis. Dolores cupiditate soluta recusandae ea. Deserunt et nihil qui.

Haters gonna hate

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”