Umich Ross culture, competitiveness, and placement

I've been admitted into the University of Michigan's Ross school of business and am ecstatic. Lately though, I've been reading some concerning things:

Some posters are saying that despite its target status, most recruiting for BB's and EB's recruit through very selective clubs? I was kind of under the impression that once I had made it to a target I was set (Meaning - I am past the part of luck (some douche club frat not accepting me because of stupid things) determining my immediate future). I was looking to get into a BB or EB out of undergrad and being that Ross is a target how much do these clubs play a role.

I also would like to know abt any current or former Ross student's experience at the school in general and the vibe/culture of the university. I was reading that Ross is very competitive, and its cutthroat, which is one of the reasons why I avoided Stern. Is this the reality at Ross? Do people at UM view Ross as elitist? What is Ross's layman prestige?

Overall I really like the school and seem to like the architecture but once other decisions roll around (Upenn CAS, Georgetown McDonough, and ND Mendoza) these issues (Coupled with the outrageous OOS tuition) may all affect my ultimate decision.

The truth is no matter which college you go to you are not exactly set per say because assuming the school is known mainly for its IB placement naturally several students would be gunning for IB you need to understand that you are going up against several people with the same goal as you from now .Knowing that Umich is a great school and if you are able to set yourself apart early you should be able to get your foot in the door.

I had a great time at Ross. Class content is really easy compared to the difficulty of courses at the rest of UMich. Culture is what you make of it. Yes, banks recruit through clubs, but would imagine this is the case anywhere. You can still recruit without being in these clubs too, and all it takes is getting into one club to have the whole expanse of networking opportunities laid out for you.

Certain banks will skip OCR and email clubs directly (M Klein pretty much recruits off the resume books of a few of the clubs from what I remember). Club alumni tend to send emails about events/applications/etc directly to seniors that they know. Club alumni are more willing to hop on the phone with current members of their club, but that's not to say they don't talk to everyone else too. CDO office is open to everyone, but a lot of kids in finance clubs find the club network more helpful than career dev office. 

Would you say the majority of BB's and EB's do this? Like what % of banks are off limits if you don't get into these exclusive clubs?

Most Helpful
I was kind of under the impression that once I had made it to a target I was set (Meaning - I am past the part of luck (some douche club frat not accepting me because of stupid things) determining my immediate future). 

There is no point in your life at which you will be past the point of luck playing a part in determining your future, so if that's your expectation you should adjust it quickly or you will be in for a rude awakening.  

A lot of target schools, if not the vast majority, have a good amount of OCR run through the various finance clubs at the school. That's not to say you can't make it without being a member but it'll definitely require some more legwork. 

Doloremque voluptas in accusamus. Modi porro distinctio temporibus reprehenderit. Omnis assumenda alias delectus sit qui ducimus. Consequatur itaque eligendi neque et qui. Impedit omnis quam cum placeat sit. Provident blanditiis doloribus perspiciatis incidunt cumque. Non quis at ratione fugiat nesciunt qui.

Et dolorem quidem velit consectetur veritatis explicabo. Soluta in minima aut dicta distinctio odio assumenda. Aliquam recusandae ad vel iure perspiciatis. Totam eos ipsam est a.

Cumque quo molestiae vero. Ratione dolore architecto deserunt libero dolores quidem minima. Commodi earum qui quas ullam maiores. Ipsum et aut nihil accusantium est accusamus sed. Aut placeat ullam est qui aut quas.

"Truth is like poetry. And most people fucking hate poetry."

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”