Upcoming Movies 2013

I gotta say, I have high hopes for this year. I was going to point out things that stood out to me, but shit, I would've been mentioning 25 of those films. Take a look at this: http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=20855

I will mention: Ender's Game (finally, and with Harrison Ford, almost makes up for it); The Great Gatsby got an honorable mention... wtf?

Oh, and in case you hadn't seen it yet, the new Superman looks like they finally got something right with that franchise:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/T6DJcgm3wNY

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

What's the Great Gatsby about??? I can't understand the plot from the trailers, all I see is dramatic scenes that look cool, but can't piece together in my head. It does seem like a good movie, I just don't know what's it about.

Nabooru:
Yeah I'm really looking forward to some of the movies coming out. Actually really looking forward to Gatsby. I run into some people who say the movie looks too over the top and stylized but in my opinion it's kind of what the book is about. Plus DiCaprio is my man crush.

Lambie:
What's the Great Gatsby about??? I can't understand the plot from the trailers, all I see is dramatic scenes that look cool, but can't piece together in my head. It does seem like a good movie, I just don't know what's it about.

It's an American classic. One of the only books that truly captures the essence of the extravagant and prosperous lifestyles of the Roaring 20's.... you should definitely read it rather than look at summaries/ synopses. Can't wait to see Leo knock the ball out of the park with this one.

Yea, heard the same things about Gatsby and I was like wtf? I don't have a man crush on DiCaprio, but I like him a lot. Hated the shit out of him for a long time after Titanic.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

If Oldboy looks interesting to any of you, watch the original version (I think it's Japanese). Amazing movie.

I'm pretty sure they didn't include it, but Prototype is another that should be added to the list. Also, I can't believe they didn't even include The Place Beyond The Pines. Saw that last night, really really good. One of the best movies I have ever seen.

madman91:
If Oldboy looks interesting to any of you, watch the original version (I think it's Japanese). Amazing movie.

I'm pretty sure they didn't include it, but Prototype is another that should be added to the list. Also, I can't believe they didn't even include The Place Beyond The Pines. Saw that last night, really really good. One of the best movies I have ever seen.

Its Korean I believe, fantastic film..

Read The Great Gatsby, then you'll know.

How is one allowed to graduate high school without reading The Great Gatsby? It is mandatory reading even in Canada wtf...

That said, I think most of the hate about Gatsby being over the top is a bit much it is a baz luhrman film either you like his style or you do not. Leo was great in the aviator and this should be a similar role.

Ender's Game has the potential to be incredible (pretty accessible book). Wish it got a more high-profile director (heard that Wolverine movie was meh) though.

Not a fan of the "remake a foreign film for an American audience" trope. Kinda insulting to the original. Anyway, assume Hollywood sees The Departed potential with Oldboy.

triplectz:
Ender's Game has the potential to be incredible (pretty accessible book). Wish it got a more high-profile director (heard that Wolverine movie was meh) though.

Not a fan of the "remake a foreign film for an American audience" trope. Kinda insulting to the original. Anyway, assume Hollywood sees The Departed potential with Oldboy.

The Departed is a remake of Infernal Affairs. I'm pretty sure that few things coming out of Hollywood are original at all now...

And am I the only one excited for the new Star Trek? Not to be a total nerd but it does look pretty awesome. The new trailer spoiled the whole movie but I'm still stoked.

in it 2 win it

Kassad:
And am I the only one excited for the new Star Trek? Not to be a total nerd but it does look pretty awesome. The new trailer spoiled the whole movie but I'm still stoked.

I love tng and ds9, but star trek movies focused on being blockbusters retain little of the character of the TV shows. I think I'm skipping this one after seeing Abrams' first one in theaters.

Kassad:
triplectz:

The Departed is a remake of Infernal Affairs. I'm pretty sure that few things coming out of Hollywood are original at all now...

Yeah I know, that's why I brought it up. And Star Trek looks great. Loved the first one, outside of the excessive lens flare, but that's sorta JJ Abram's signature thing so whatever, guess I'll deal.

Not including sequels or superhero films (Man of Steel does look quite promising), these are all the movies which haven't been released yet that I'm looking forward to so far for 2013, for various reasons, roughly in ascending order by release date.

The Great Gatsby After Earth The Way, Way Back Pacific Rim Elysium Ender's Game Inside Llewyn Davis The Wolf of Wall Street The Counselor The Zero Theorem American Hustle Nebraska Serena The Prototype Her Gravity Transcendence

And so far in theaters for 2013, I've seen Side Effects and Oblivion, both of which were decent but flawed.

Going Concern:
The Great Gatsby Ender's Game

FTFY. Yea yea yea, personal preference. Just been waiting for this shit since like 2005. And HARRISON FORD

Going Concern:
And so far in theaters for 2013, I've seen Side Effects and Oblivion, both of which were decent but flawed.

Side Effects and Oblivion still worth the watch at least?

Going Concern:
Febreeze:

Great Gatsby looks horrendous.

Looks like you were right - reviews of Gatsby have started coming in and looks like it's a flop. Baz Luhrman is being compared to Michael Bay, the ultimate movie insult lol.

The guy directed Romeo + Juliet... There's a fucking plus sign in a Shakespearean title.

You could pretty much tell when he started using Jayz music in the trailer.

Best Response
Febreeze:
Going Concern:
Febreeze:

Great Gatsby looks horrendous.

Looks like you were right - reviews of Gatsby have started coming in and looks like it's a flop. Baz Luhrman is being compared to Michael Bay, the ultimate movie insult lol.

The guy directed Romeo + Juliet... There's a fucking plus sign in a Shakespearean title.

You could pretty much tell when he started using Jayz music in the trailer.

Lol, yeah, I guess I was hopeful because Mr. Dicaprio is in it...oh well.

Want to get around to seeing The Place Beyond The Pines and Oblivion.

Very excited about Man of Steel and Pacific Rim. Pretty excited for the new Star Trek and After Earth. Almost completely lost interest in The Great Gatsby, though I enjoyed the book.

Embarrassed about the existence of Fast Furious 6 (seriously, only considerable one was the first movie) and Hangover Repetition #2.

frozencheese:
Embarrassed about the existence of Fast Furious 6 (seriously, only considerable one was the first movie)
Actually, Fast Five was fairly well received by critics -- it holds a 78% on Rotten Tomatoes.

design:
frozencheese:
Embarrassed about the existence of Fast Furious 6 (seriously, only considerable one was the first movie)
Actually, Fast Five was fairly well received by critics -- it holds a 78% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I thought Fast Five was the best of all the movies. Definitely no guarantee that the newest will be as good, thoug. Far more likely that they'll just fuck it up

whatwhatwhat:
asking what the great gatsby is about is easily one of the most ignorant things i've read on this board

http://www.youtube.com/embed/BHqgHFcmAOc

AllDay_028:

Place beyond the pines was good, not great. Too disjointed. It's basically three distinct "acts" or parts. The third act is way underdeveloped and just doesn't seem to mesh well, be as believable, or even as enjoyable as the first two. They really should have lengthened the first two acts and left out the third.

I kind of agree. But, at the same time, I thought of the third act as really just an extension of the second. I don't think they needed to extend either of the acts - they both told everything that was needed to be told. The third act would have been better if it was more focused on the kid discovering who his father was, rather than his relationship with the other kid...

I hardly ever manage to "look forward" to films anymore. You can't watch every trailer and trailers invariably lie. Only film I can truly say I'm looking forward to is The Irishman. But it probably isn't going to release in 2013.

Interdvark:

I hardly ever manage to "look forward" to films anymore. You can't watch every trailer and trailers invariably lie. Only film I can truly say I'm looking forward to is The Irishman. But it probably isn't going to release in 2013.

I don't usually watch trailers until the once a year I come upon a list of upcoming movies. Then I watch like 10-20 in an hour. And then I hold off for a year.

Going Concern:

Did anyone else think Ironman 3 was super lame? Like, WTF is this shit. They need to just stop pumping out superhero films one after another, sequel after sequel. I liked Dark Knight and all, but enough is enough.

Just watched DKR again and I've gotta say it's one of my favorite superhero movies of all time. This new Superman better be siiiick. And I've heard mixed on I3. Fanboys didn't like it, most others did.

Voluptatem soluta exercitationem placeat. Voluptas quis vero non at quod optio minus harum. Maiores eveniet accusamus quod consequuntur rerum. Ad odio id facilis eum sed sunt. Quasi distinctio quia id repellat pariatur harum. Aut aut sint voluptates totam nisi ipsam rem.

Rerum molestiae qui magni nihil incidunt. Laboriosam quasi nihil esse nam quis omnis omnis minus. Iusto dicta aut voluptatum voluptatem consequatur iste qui. Nihil maiores omnis eum tempore aut veritatis.

Magni animi error ipsa mollitia dolorum et. Labore hic animi ducimus aut. Voluptas explicabo ut repellendus fuga.

Commodi enim nisi blanditiis quaerat soluta. Velit nemo et libero veniam et aliquam vel. Et quis aut ut qui amet rem.

Voluptatum est aut aut velit perspiciatis voluptate aut. Quod sit dignissimos nisi sed voluptas quia id. Nesciunt magnam id aut ut blanditiis. Est blanditiis non nulla. Quia officia numquam dicta vel. Autem est repellendus sit qui ad ab dolorem.

Itaque explicabo est illum nobis itaque est velit autem. Aut deserunt enim autem nemo vel ipsam. Aut sit vel culpa quidem. Et adipisci et in error magnam.

Incidunt eius velit quasi necessitatibus sapiente. Et maiores nulla explicabo et ad commodi. Delectus qui consectetur ea enim quaerat et. Asperiores nulla aut repellendus veritatis. Sit dolorum iusto similique alias cumque enim. Distinctio alias sunt vel enim necessitatibus blanditiis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”