US Airlines and the A380

A question to all frequent flyers who know a bit about aviation or travel enough to, from or within the US:

Why did none of the 3 large US airlines (AA, United or Delta) order any A380s?

I know the base answer would be something about demand, but wouldn't it have made economic sense on some high demand routes like NYC-London or NYC-Hong Kong?

Pure size because it is huge. They seat 525 passengers and the minimum runway length for takeoff is just over 9,000 ft.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

As an absolute number, all of them have 100+ airbus planes. In terms of %, they all have a much larger percentage of Boeing but that is partly due to bulk discounts they get from the larger order they place. I agree that airbus planes are more common in Europe, but I was looking at it more from a demand standpoint. If the A380 provided a huge plane which can be filled on popular routes then why not buy it? Irrelevant of who makes it.

EDIT: It's a mixed bag. The Big 3 mainly have Boeing, Southwest has all Boeing, Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines have about a 50:50 split and Spirit Airlines, JetBlue and Virgin America have an all Airbus fleet.

Agreed. But seeing as air passenger numbers are projected to grow, wouldn't it make sense to see it on some routes? Granted, most of the A380 operators didn't leverage it to their full potential and it's been a loss for them (Air France, British Airways, Korean Air) but some have used it much better (Emirates, Qantas and Etihad).

Also, why would new entrants come along now for the A380 if it sucks e.g ANA who ordered 3?

Most Helpful

I think it has some to do with where they're flying. A ton of people fly to Paris and London, there's probably 10 different airlines that fly there throughout the US and I'd ballpark it at 50+ airports with direct flights. You'd think it would make sense to put an A380 on a LAX-LHR or JFK-CDG but there are so many flights throughout the day on 757s, 767s, 777s, 787s, A330s, A340s, now A350s to those places that the operator would have to combined something like a 330PM and a 5PM into one to run it on an A380 but another operator will just adjust their timing and now American is stealing 50 passengers that would've otherwise flown BA because the departure times are better.

It works for the ME airlines since they're flying to probably 15 total airports and they're probably only running A380s on large volume routes (out of JFK, LAX, IAH, SFO, maybe DC), max two routes a day (and probably 2 out of NYC only). And it really only works because you can really only get to Dubai direct on Emirates, Abu Dhabi on Etihad, and Doha/Saudi on Qatar as well as US airlines don't fly to the ME period.

No clue on why ANA did other than they can probably fill them going to the West Coast. I'm sure there's some interesting A380 profitability studies out there but I don't have time to look them up,

CRE:
Delta is too busy getting every last mile out of their MD-88's

Unfortunately very accurate. Just checked and they still have 106 of those and 65 MD-90's. Boeing 757-200 - 100 Boeing 757-300 - 16

EnergyHOU:
CRE:
Delta is too busy getting every last mile out of their MD-88's

That is nuts... how many total hours do some of those have? Legitimately curious

Dunno on hours but the average age of their MD88 is 27.7 years old.

This same exact question could be asked for why the three major US airlines aren't buying the new 747-8 (that has actually been a complete flop worldwide). Overall, the market for super-jumbos has not been nearly as high as Airbus experts thought 10-15 years ago. However, just a few thoughts in regard to the major US based airlines...

• The three major US airlines utilize several major hubs. AA alone operates major international hubs out of DFW, JFK, ORD, PHL, and MIA. Almost all other airlines (and i think substantially all of the A380 operator airlines) typically operate one huge hub. Emirates - Dubai, BA - LHR, Singapore - Singapore, Etihad - Abu Dhabi, etc... This makes the viability of purchasing A380's much better in my opinion.
  • airline routes aren't necessarily consistent year-round. it might be easy to fill a fleet of A380's on a few routes to Europe in the summer but not so much in the winter.
  • some airlines (Qantas being one) actually bought the A380 for it's range moreso than it's size (the A380 had a better range than the 747-400).
  • Emirates owns roughly half of all A380 orders. A huge chunk of the share of US->Far East travel has been replaced from US/European airlines by the Middle Eastern giants.

Old article on DL using all those MD-88/90s. It works pretty well in those 2-3 hours routes when oil is cheap https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970203406404578072960852910072

A380 is a proven failure at this point. It only works for a very specific set of high volume routes and most people and airline would prefer flights every 2 hour vs. 2 a day as mentioned by someone else. Works for Emirates cause they are picking up people from Asia / Africa countries in smaller planes, combining them in Dubai and putting them in an A380 to JFK or IAD. Mostly low cost vacation travelers or immigrants, who don't mind the 9 hour layover in Dubai and getting put on a ~400 seat economy class (which is how most Emirates A380 are configured). Price matters for them and the consolidated hub strategy works for all the middle east guys given proximity to initial country.

There are lot of articles around why this didn't work out - basically they got the thesis wrong. Airbus went for Hub and Spoke with A380 and Boeing went with point to point with 787. Then Airbus figured out they made a mistake and refocused on A350 and A320Neo. A380s don't make money for them and most airlines don't want to buy a 550 seat plane and not be able to fill half the seats where the frame itself burns a lot of fuel.

The A380 has a perverse issue of being too efficient. The airline model is getting turned on its head right now with the huge improvements in efficiency the aircraft have achieved over the past 20 years. You can fly a 787 nonstop from LA to Sydney, the problem is that makes it easy to skip airports and thus cuts down the ability of airlines service smaller markets. This is increasing the demand for planes from airlines and lowering their ROI per aircraft. The demand for super large aircraft is falling because of the ability of aircraft to fly direct.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

G-I the pharma guy:
A question to all frequent flyers who know a bit about aviation or travel enough to, from or within the US:

Why did none of the 3 large US airlines (AA, United or Delta) order any A380s?

I know the base answer would be something about demand, but wouldn't it have made economic sense on some high demand routes like NYC-London or NYC-Hong Kong?

http://www.businessinsider.com/united-airlines-cfo-airbus-a380-superjum…

United Airlines CFO: Airbus A380 superjumbo 'doesn't work' for us

Benjamin Zhang
Jun. 8, 2015

As Airbus continues its search for new A380 customers, one carrier that won't be joining the select club of superjumbo owners is United Airlines. In an interview with Flightglobal's Edward Russell, United Airlines CFO John Rainey said the mammoth Airbus jet "doesn't work" for the airline's network.

Instead of the A380, United has concentrated its resources on cheaper and smaller wide-body jets, such as the Boeing 787 Dreamliner and the Airbus A350XWB. According to Rainey, the A380's higher trip costs make the plane less competitive against smaller rivals such as the Dreamliner. This is despite the fact that the superjumbo returns similar per-seat costs as the smaller jets.

The A380 may offer great value to those who are looking to move huge numbers of people to and from their global hubs — carriers such as Emirates, Singapore, and Etihad. But for United, the preference is to offer as many flights as possible throughout the day.

Instead of "one flight a day and fill up an A380, we'd rather serve [a market] with a couple widebodies if the demand was there, because business passengers certainly like that," Rainey told Flightglobal. According to Rainey, high frequency is the name of the game for important moneymaking routes, such as New York to London.

United's long-haul fleet is one the world's largest operators of the Boeing 777 and will depend on the Boeing Dreamliner and the Airbus XWB for the bulk of its future operations. Airbus is in middle of a sales push for the A380. The double-decker airliner is used by a dozen or so carriers around the world, but the manufacturer has struggled to find new customers willing to take on the aircraft.

Of the 317 A380s ever ordered, 140 have been ordered by Emirates.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

This actually makes a lot of sense. But the 2 things that I still can get my head around are 1. demand for certain routes which are often oversubscribed; NYC-London could probably fill 4-5 A380s a day. 2. even considering the point to point model, couldn't US carriers bring people on an A380 from NYC to London, then bring UK people and European from London to Hong Kong all with the same A380?

1. NYC-LHR isn’t exactly over subscribed. There are like 8 airlines doing those and you also have Gatwick and low cost guys. Also it doesn’t make sense to buy 3 A380 do one route only. Maintenance is a key cost component and having only 3 aircraft doesn’t work favorably (vs. having 140 of the same). You need to invest in support staff, technicians, spare parts and also redundancy in case one is out. You’d literally spend $300mm for the back up plane for your 3 plane fleet.

2. LHR isn’t a DL/UA/AA hub. They’re not going to fly people from LHR to Mozambique or Florence. British Airways would do that with their hub there. So for US guys, doesn’t make sense to disperse people from LHR on their own. They could do code share or partnerships , which they already do. Eg. AA/British/Iberia, DL/AF/KLM, UA/Lufthansa

Amet quas dolores nihil illum temporibus ut omnis. Est qui excepturi rem nobis consequatur. Qui error dolor soluta qui reiciendis asperiores atque. Ea sint et explicabo. Eum distinctio neque doloremque quidem. Cumque quis officia asperiores enim.

Ea ut repellat modi amet est rerum id minima. Et in sint harum odit animi deleniti maxime. Voluptas dolores ipsa fuga.

Perferendis consequatur molestiae est porro occaecati. Cumque quod veritatis repudiandae modi ipsa quia.

Cupiditate accusamus praesentium consequatur sed incidunt sit nobis. Nobis rerum repellat voluptatem rerum non. Error numquam velit sit qui facilis ut qui. Non adipisci rerum possimus sit corrupti quis. Rerum in laborum consequatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”