US News 2012 Rankings

What do you guys think of the new 2012 US News rankings?

Nothing really changed much, but Chicago certainly seems to be making strong inroads and is doing very well. I am surprised with the huge tie for number 5 (Stanford, MIT, Caltech, Chicago, and Penn).

Wash U got pushed back to 14, and Dartmouth lost a spot and is now below Duke. JHU stayed solid and Brown / Cornell are at 15.

Harvard/Princeton tied for 1.

Few things that surprised me:
-Chicago's strength (although it is justified- a fantastic school)
-Dartmouth moving below Duke
-Cornell/Brown staying where they are.
-Stanford/MIT ranked the same as Penn/Chicago

All in all, looks pretty well put together, although I do disagree with a few things (Stanford, MIT rankings etc.) and I don't think a huge tie for 5th is a very good way to deal with things.

"I don't think a huge tie for 5th is a very good way to deal with things."

So true- rankings become kinda meaningless if there's a lack of, you know, actual ranking.

And without actually checking too deeply into the methodology, I'm pretty sure USNWR puts a pretty big emphasis on admissions rate; UChi recently switched to the common app (after previously using its own "uncommon application" for many years), and that probably explains a lot of how UChi has moved on up, without any real substantive changes (yeah they've had some high profile hires recently, but I think those were for graduate programs).

I definitely remember checking the admit rate for EA a couple years ago, and it was really high, like 40%+, and the overall acceptance rate last year was 19% so there's some figures for you. Take from it what you will.

Best Response

Wow... someone already decided to post on the USNWR rankings. Looks like it's about that time we start having another dick measuring contest. Who the fuck cares how the schools rank. Once you finally start wherever you go, whatever ranking your school has does not matter. All that matters is how well you do and, if you opt to transfer, where you get your degree from. College is what you get out of it, not just the name on your resume.

Plus, I'm quite suspect on the USNWR rankings. If the Law School ranking that USNWR publishes is a fraudulent joke, who is to say that their other ratings are free of any sort of errors and problems.

Frieds:
Wow... someone already decided to post on the USNWR rankings. Looks like it's about that time we start having another dick measuring contest. Who the fuck cares how the schools rank. Once you finally start wherever you go, whatever ranking your school has does not matter. All that matters is how well you do and, if you opt to transfer, where you get your degree from. College is what you get out of it, not just the name on your resume.

Plus, I'm quite suspect on the USNWR rankings. If the Law School ranking that USNWR publishes is a fraudulent joke, who is to say that their other ratings are free of any sort of errors and problems.

It really doesn't matter to most people where/if you went to school at some place on this list. Off all the people I have met from these schools, the ones who really flaunted their alma mater were not destined to be much more than middle management assholes anyway (I am pointing the finger at Ivy Leaguers and elite liberal (con)artists here). There are more than an outlier's worth of people who went to these schools, memorized their economics textbooks, pounded their head into spreadsheets for two years, went to some other b-school on this list, and continued to pursue the middle management lifestyle.

There is nothing special about paying $60k/yr for a piece of paper. I could probably train a retired NFL offensive lineman to change periods into commas in a pitchbook. I don't mean to knock everyone on this board, but you can't memorize common sense out a Paul Samuelson textbook, and unless you do something a little different from your peers, there is no chance that you have a lifestyle that is marginally better than the rest of the herd.

In case anyone is wondering what this has to do with the list, it is that these institutions put no emphasis on actually learning anything, life lessons or academic training. As long as the students can shove useless facts for tests into their brains, crush addys, and get at least a B+, it has secured a lifetime of above average wealth. Have fun with your IKEA kitchen set.

Now go drink before we all get laid off in a fire storm of European bank failures.

charmander:
lol, is your life's ambition to attend college or something?

I'm already in college at a decent school. I could care less about rankings, but it does matter to many on this board as Wall Street is probably the biggest prestige based industry out there, especially for entry level jobs (the kid from Harvard will get hired over the kid from Ohio State any day if they are remotely similar and the interview goes well.)

Voluptas vel nihil et tempora praesentium. Exercitationem dolor eveniet consequatur. Soluta ipsum accusamus temporibus laborum deleniti. Beatae et et voluptatem expedita dolores rerum atque.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”