US NEWS: Best Undergraduate Business Programs 2009

Give your thoughts and opinions on the new 2009 business rankings. I will post specific business major rankings by request.

1. University of Pennsylvania
  2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
  3. University of California--Berkeley
  4. University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
  5. New York University
  6. Carnegie Mellon University
  7. University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill
  8. University of Texas--Austin
  9. University of Virginia
  10. University of Southern California
  11. Cornell University
  12. Indiana University--Bloomington
  13. Emory University
  14. University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign
  15. University of Wisconsin--Madison
  16. Washington University in St. Louis

Not even included after being number 3 last year? And Cornell bumped down from 4 to 11, what the heck is with that? I'm a student at ND and nothing seems to have changed for the worse with our business program, if anything, it's gotten better with a new course taught by the endowment manager. I'm pretty sure we kick a whole bunch of these school's butts.

Of the students I've met from Cornell, most leave me wondering how they got into that school in the first place. I don't doubt that collectively the student body is very strong, but of the small sample I've met weren't very impressive.

Surprising to see CMU make a huge jump too - they've always had excellent recruiting efforts at the school even being in Pittsburgh, but had fallen off in the rankings over the years.

does anybody actually care about these if you dont go to the school..i mean most recruiters and people i've spoken with in banking seem to feel that 99% of what you learn in college doesn't really matter since you'll pick it up on the job and at the end of the day the level of success you attain in your life will be correlated to overall intelligence, not if you went to the right undergraduate business school...i mean even an mba is bullshit.it has nothing to do with the education an MBA is there for massive networking

aspiringhealthcarebanker:
IBDilo26386 - you have likely met students from one of the state supported (public) colleges. Stick to students from Arts & Sciences and Engineering where the standards of admission are on par with the Ivy League and you should be fine.

Thanks, I'll remember that.

lol nice gorilla, your what a freshman in college but apparently you have insightful comments, lol just didn't want some other freshman to think that people in the industry gave a crap about business school rankings for undergrad and they just go somewhere where they are happy, if you do well in undergrad you can get into anywhere (but i cant wait to hear your witty comeback :) )

worldtraveler123:
your what a freshman in college

nope

worldtraveler123:
just didn't want some other freshman to think that people in the industry gave a crap about business school rankings

I do.

worldtraveler123:
they just go somewhere where they are happy

I hate other people being happy.

worldtraveler123:
if you do well in undergrad you can get into anywhere

LIES.

worldtraveler123:
(but i cant wait to hear your witty comeback :)

Shut up stupid.

at the end of the day the rankings dont matter. the only questions that do:

1) is there a solid alumni network in place. do alumni from my school hold respectable positions within the industry?

2) do the top firms or firms that you care about recruit on campus?

after that its all bullsht in terms of 'prestige'. sure go for prestige of course but find the school that fits said bill that suits you the best and you will be happier and more successful.

there's no such thing as "best" or "most prestigious" undergrad business program, imo. In all honestly most of the curriculum is simple and vocational.

It's like saying what's the best place to learn how to do your laundry. who the hell cares. just get through it, graduate and then try to find happiness in your job.

Philosopher:
there's no such thing as "best" or "most prestigious" undergrad business program, imo. In all honestly most of the curriculum is simple and vocational.

It's like saying what's the best place to learn how to do your laundry. who the hell cares. just get through it, graduate and then try to find happiness in your job.

Tell that to the kid at the University of South Eastern Alabama trying to get into IBD and see if he agrees

Best Response
Tell that to the kid at the University of South Eastern Alabama trying to get into IBD and see if he agrees

(A) in the FIRST place, The USEA is NOT the same person as the Wharton kid. (B) Agree it matters for getting 2-yr IBD stint after college, but people please understand that 2 year IBD analyst stint in your resume will not automatically set you up for life (it wont even automatically get you into a decent bschool like it used to)

Now on the other hand suppose you have a BS Engineering from UAlabama vs. a BS Engineering from UPenn. Both are smart. Both COULD easily be the same person. Here's where it matters more. One becomes a teacher and the other an executive/entreperneur from vc funding.

Philosopher:

I'm assuming you didn't go to one since you're being so derisive. So how can you make such a broad statement regarding their simplicity? I mean really, I envy your econ degree.

This is interesting. Im from the northeast and Boston area schools especially Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern University, Babson, and MIT are known for good undergraduate business programs. Surprised to see only MIT, I thought for sure Boston College would be top 15.

Goldennight,

Im curious as to the rankings for the following schools Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern University, Babson and also Notre Dame Thanks

Qui non eos ducimus est autem. Est eum consectetur at et. Omnis maxime eum enim eius.

Error harum perferendis distinctio suscipit nihil. Qui et sint voluptate ducimus voluptas dolores fugit. Alias dolorem maiores dolorem sed eaque magni ipsa. Et possimus ad et sit. Porro adipisci laboriosam ea qui sed cum. Iste maiores non non. Illo modi unde iste sed.

Optio quidem sed consectetur nihil dicta est maxime. Fuga qui consequuntur inventore nesciunt assumenda quo vitae et. Ipsa illum soluta ab.

Vitae sunt pariatur id voluptatibus quae dignissimos. Tenetur placeat quia libero eveniet officiis quae quasi. Est nemo nulla est molestias sit necessitatibus. Accusamus corporis accusantium maxime earum harum minus.

Sed ad exercitationem ut libero quo repellat. Quia enim quas dolores sint. Sed fuga qui quos unde sint. Quasi dignissimos voluptas nostrum qui at.

Culpa ducimus ut deleniti at sint. Qui quasi autem similique impedit itaque sed voluptas. Sit voluptas nobis architecto nesciunt ad dolor quo. Quo rerum inventore labore eos. Ullam sint perferendis labore doloremque.

Et dolor officia eveniet expedita alias est. Necessitatibus inventore delectus quo sit. Et omnis voluptatem omnis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”