Virtual SA 2021 Chances

The title pretty much speaks for itself. Given the current state of the pandemic, what do guys think of the chances that the 2021 banking internships will be virtual again? Mainly thinking of NY/Bay Area/Chicago (no disrespect to my regional office fellas!)

I've heard good (and of course bad) things about last year's virtual internships, and I think a lot of banks are kinda getting used to remote working at this point. But again, who doesn't want to get back to normal again, right?

>who doesn't want to get back to normal again, right?

I dont want it to go back to normal. Commuting, no naps/working out during downtime, expensive rent, no jerking off whenever. I wonder what the senior guys think. 

Hard as fuck to get new analysts up to speed (especially one's that came on FT during WFH that didn't intern).

If you're an associate, this means you're having to either:

(a) spend way more time showing a new analyst how to do something over zoom vs just having them bobsled at your desk / going to his or her cube to hop on the sticks

(b) you'd like to save yourself the extra 3 - 5 hours it would take to show the analyst how to do some model edit, wait for them to do it, have them turn the mistakes you found (e.g. more zoom instructional videos in excel), and check it again by just saying "fuck it, I'm just going to do this myself"

Hitting me with MS won’t increase your chances of being in-person for SA. Being in the office provides a much better learning experience, but the fact is we’re still in the middle of a pandemic with cases continuing to rise and vaccine distribution has been anything but efficient (in the US at least). I’m hating WFH too, but it’s not up to me

Most Helpful

I think it’s logistically impossible for BB. There are going to be so many committees, “health experts” and others involved. Look at the upside/downside...if someone in the office tests positive (highly likely) the office will need to go remote for at least a week. If that happens a few times the internship is a wash. They’ve invested the money into virtual already. It’s a really tall order for BBs to say the least. Maybe boutiques are more likely? 

Sometimes the responses to these threads seem to be from people who don’t understand the speed at which some of these places move. Banks love red tape and drawn out processes. Additionally, the full service banks with a ton of locations are going to need to role out at least somewhat uniform policy across the bank. Be aware that the entire focus of the organization is not making sure SA is in person. The COO and other relevant parties will be juggling a lot. Plus it’s en vogue for employers to be really cautious. To me, the above says virtual...just my opinion though. 

I think it will be remote for many reasons: - Vaccines aren’t going to be fully out to everybody by this summer -Someone already mentioned about a covid outbreak in the office if someone tests positive in which they would shut down the entire office. - Even with vaccines, there are government issues as to how many people can be in a single space. Packing everybody in the office isn’t ideal and firms won’t take chances for legal reasons. not to mention NYC doesn’t even allow indoor dining

My guess is firms will soon confirm this bc they don’t want to discourage students so early that it will be remote again. I could be wrong and I hope I am bc working from home sucks.

I’m not trying to sound negative and I know I’ll get monkey shit bc people want to go back to the office to work and so I do. But if you look at it realistically, we won’t go back to the office till next summer of 2022.

My personal opinion is SA 2021 will be relied on how fast vaccines can be out by May. What are the upcoming issues with people refusing the vaccines? Can major cities go back to normal by May? as most of them are in lockdowns with most businesses closed/barely getting by. Is 3 months enough for all these issues to be resolved ? Highly unlikely.

My say is that HR will tell students it will be virtual by April to give enough time if things have changed/progressed from right now.

Many universities are now in-person or hybrid, or have now opened up dormitories for their students. If they can do it, I dont see why firms cant

Any chance you could elaborate?  As in for all divisions and offices?  Just trying to gauge what the BBs are starting to do since I'll be at one this summer and I assume they'll probably follow in each others footsteps.  Thanks!

UBS just sent an email out stating that 2021 SA will be virtual for all US divisions.

Higher chances than the last time this was asked, an hour ago

GS just said they are still trying to get us in the office for at least part of it...honestly pretty surprised

Ad eligendi consectetur atque. Molestias rerum minus atque rerum dignissimos et. Nemo assumenda sunt sequi sit aut. Dolores maiores deleniti velit ipsum quidem non quidem. Quibusdam laborum veritatis ratione ut non consequatur.

Et eaque eos facere ea. Aliquid rerum ipsam dolore est repudiandae. Id doloremque culpa pariatur esse aspernatur nemo. Placeat placeat omnis alias aut.

Fugit deleniti quia ratione quos cupiditate incidunt. Excepturi veritatis quam et assumenda necessitatibus expedita dolorem. Similique autem aperiam architecto ut a voluptas. Ut eius et perspiciatis.

Excepturi culpa id totam. Eum voluptas natus ducimus voluptas adipisci.

Atque veritatis eveniet cupiditate dolorem dolorem quis. Eligendi cupiditate veritatis ratione velit et.

Quos dicta quidem quo. Tempore laudantium enim omnis ex error quia. Libero molestiae quia vitae culpa nulla eligendi. Voluptas architecto aspernatur aspernatur eos iusto. Magni eaque reiciendis explicabo fuga iste. Harum aut atque sit officiis omnis omnis rerum.

Eum quam saepe harum ut accusamus alias. A accusamus dolorem suscipit iste. Iste possimus ab et corporis. Saepe commodi qui repellat natus rerum eligendi minima.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”