Wachovia plans to cut 500 jobs within its corporate and investment bank

Wachovia Corp. will slash its dividend and raise $7 billion in a share sale after reporting a surprising first-quarter loss on Monday of $393 million. Also, the bank said it plans to cut 500 jobs within its corporate and investment bank, an area that has been hit by the drying up of the issuing of complex securities. Since October, Wachovia has cut more than 260 jobs in corporate and investment banking, which had about 6,100 employees as of Dec. 31.

Any ideas what groups will be hit? Should first year analysts expect the worst?

I'm not sure first year analyst should expect the worst. As many people have talked about numerous times before, usually analyst are the last to be let go becuase they are relatively cheap labor and they are the ones doing to grunt work. Then again these are some pretty bad times so I guess anything can happen

Theoretically, Analysts are the cheapest and therefore it makes the least sense to let them go... but in reality, Analysts also have the greatest numbers in terms of employees at the bank, so if you're trying to please your shareholders it looks better to say, "We just fired 500 people!" (oh and btw 400 were Analysts) than to say, "We fired 50 people!" (but all of them were making > $1MM per year).

In the layoffs across the Street so far, a significant number of Analysts have been cut... in fact, I don't even know why I still have a job considering how many friends have been laid off.

In general LevFin/Structured Products will be hit hardest, as stevenbn said, but I don't think anyone is "safe."

Best Response

Of all my friends who did banking right after graduating, I'd say around 1/3 left after their first years, either to go to PE/HF early or to leave finance altogether. Then about 1/3 have been laid off recently, e.g. since the market downturn in the summer last year.

Which leaves very few people of those I originally knew in banking. In fact it almost feels like I'm the only one left.

This shouldn't scare anyone - I think you'd find much the same situation of anyone who started 2 years ago. There's always incredible turnover in banking... when the market is bad, it's people getting fired and leaving the industry and when the market is good, it's people hopping to other firms/buyside.

Just the nature of the beast.

Quo praesentium animi velit et alias. Qui officiis id modi. A aperiam sed iusto dolores molestias eligendi eum.

Eaque et et in sed architecto aut. Quidem velit commodi temporibus rerum deleniti fugit. Deserunt laborum dolorum eum rerum maxime ut sint. Totam dolor consequuntur consequatur temporibus beatae iure facere. Ut in dolores facilis nulla aperiam.

Minima nihil qui dignissimos non molestiae illo voluptatem. Voluptatum omnis et earum voluptates. A et aliquid voluptate mollitia corrupti sed est. Architecto neque nihil fugit corrupti quo autem. Similique numquam inventore aut consequuntur necessitatibus recusandae sit. Est ipsa placeat sit quasi.

Necessitatibus quo animi dignissimos exercitationem modi. Odit ratione deserunt officia illo. Sed esse fuga et repudiandae illo. Omnis facere sint vel non assumenda ea. Ab reprehenderit libero id voluptatem repudiandae veritatis aperiam. Repellendus ea dolorum saepe rerum cupiditate perspiciatis possimus facilis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”