Want to Start a Master's to Move to the HF Space, but Earliest Chance is Fall of 2022; What to do Until Then?

Right now, I work in CRE, but I'm very underpaid and finding the work extremely mundane.  I'd like to move to a more quantitative sector in the hedge fund space and it seems like my only option in doing that is going back to school to get a master's in finance, but the earliest I could start that would be Fall of 2022.

Since I'm not looking to continue in CRE post-master's and since I'm quite underpaid now, I'm wondering what I should do in the time between now and fall of next year.  Should I start a new job for only a bit over a year? Should I just continue on at my current job that I dislike even though the extra experience won't help with anything?  Or is there a third option I'm not thinking of?

I should mention that I've been taking NYU and WorldQuant University Courses on the side for some extra knowledge, but obviously these aren't game changers and I can't quit my job to do something like that full-time.

Any advice would be appreciated!

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (1)

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

June 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (9) $911
  • Vice President (35) $364
  • Associates (202) $234
  • 2nd Year Analyst (115) $151
  • Intern/Summer Associate (97) $145
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (27) $145
  • 1st Year Analyst (420) $131
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (338) $82