Watches for ~$1000

Now that I'm making money, want to buy myself a decent watch. I'm not a huge watch guy, but some other analysts or Analyst2's have already received or bought themselves an omega speedmaster or rolex datejust. I'm not looking to spend that much. I'd rather max out my IRA and 401K and save as much as I can, but I worked hard to get the offer at a BB bank from a non-target and wanted to know suggestions of classy, well regarded and good quality watches for ~$1000.

Shinola is too preppy, I want something timeless and can keep for 10 years or more. Tag? Longines? 

Thanks

Thanks. I was thinking something more classy - I'd rather get the bottom range of a classy brand, then the most expensive of a cheaper brand.

Tissot is another brand. I have one, it's very solid looking and seems good quality, but it's really like a $300-$700 brand and I don't want to buy the most expensive watch of a cheaper brand

$1k is nowhere near the top of seiko (search grand seiko). Among watch fans they are highly regarded for their quality and precision (and considered a “top” brand)  

But it sounds like you want something that’ll be recognized by an everyday person. You’ll be hard pressed to get a “lower” watch of a recognizable brand for $1k. For $3k or so you can start getting into entry level omegas and pre owned JLC or IWC. At $1k you have nomos Glashuttte (really a bit more) but again not a highly recognizable brand. I would probably get whatever looks good to you from a “quality” entry level brand (nomos, Hamilton, etc) and save up for a higher quality piece if you end up getting into watches. 

If you think Seiko is a cheap brand, I wouldn’t bother buying a nice watch because you clearly do not know anything about watches and just want to flex and would not appreciate any watches in the 1k range.

As others have said the 3-5k range is where you really start getting into some of the real entry level luxury watches.

For my first months on the job, I bought one from the Longine Master Collection. One of my favorite watches.

Given your budget, I would recommend the Flagship or the Conquest.

Definitely go with an automatic, tag isn’t a bad option I have one that’s decent around the $1800 mark. I would suggest stepping up to something in the omega realm, they have really stepped up their quality and ADs will usually throw a pretty good discount. Was mentioned above, but grand seikos are incredibly legit and plenty in the 3-5k range and dollar for dollar you would be hard pressed to find a better watch.

Totally agree, I would also go vintage. Vintage Omegas in decent conditions go for a little more than OP's budget, but I think a vintage Zenith or Longines might do the trick ;)

You can also check out Tag Heuer. Really good and durable watches in my opinion. You should find some starting at €1,000

Most Helpful

I know that this probably not the answer you want to hear, but I would wait until you are comfortable expanding your budget. 

One thing I learned about having a nice watch is that it makes all your previous choices look like "toys". I'm almost embarrassed at the watches I had compared to now and it makes you realize that the money you spent on them (even a modest 1K) is just not worth it. There's just no substitute for the feeling a really nice watch gives you and image it projects.

Of course, I'm saying that being much later in my career compared to yours and my watch is a Rolex Daytona and you might not be ready for that (and that's OK). But I really think you'll be happier getting something that is more globally recognizable. 

Nesciunt corporis molestias corporis tempore expedita. Suscipit corporis fuga et delectus dolorum. Asperiores nihil corporis ipsam quia ut. Tempore vitae qui aspernatur cumque tempora quas quisquam fuga.

Consequatur vitae tenetur odit ea totam. Aut eos quasi numquam excepturi sint sapiente. Sint sed totam quasi temporibus. Ipsum corrupti dicta nihil.

Qui deserunt culpa hic. Facilis adipisci sed in qui. Quas itaque est saepe vel. Ut quia sed laudantium.

Velit sed quas aut. Hic at eveniet sit qui odit quaerat ducimus dolores. Itaque qui aut quas ut non ut expedita. Reprehenderit nisi aut reprehenderit culpa. Totam nihil molestias placeat et et voluptatem sed in. Est sit assumenda cupiditate aperiam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”