Wearing sneakers for the morning commute

This really only applies if your office is business casual, but what are your thoughts on wearing sneakers with dress pants/chinos.

I've been noticing the younger crowd on the busses and subways opting for backpacks over briefcases, and wearing sneakers (which I assume they change into more professional shoes at the office)?

Anyone else do this? I've always thought sneakers and slacks look odd, but I'm intrigued.

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (23)

Aug 7, 2017 - 9:23am

Dont care how it looks, for my commute I have to walk to the train station (which is about a 15-20 min walk), so ill opt for trainers and swap out into my formal shoes after (since I have little walking after this point). Trainers go into my bag.

Aug 7, 2017 - 9:34am

Ah, should have clarified. I swap as soon as I get to the station, from there total sitting/standing journey is around 50mins with about 5mins total walking (in between tube/platforms and station->office).

Aug 7, 2017 - 8:44pm
<span><a href=http://tinyurl.com/3ho2nmo rel=nofollow>Draper</a></span> Specter and Co.:

I have a 2 mile walk to work. I'm not really trying to wear down my Ferragamo loafers doing that...

Agreed. I am partial to Ferragamo and Gucci loafers and long walks in a concrete jungle are not particularly kind to them..

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
Best Response
Aug 15, 2017 - 10:23am

Yeezys all the way. No changing.

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing.

See my Blog & AMA

Aug 28, 2017 - 1:47pm

If the ride was long, or one where you would get sweaty, would it be frowned upon if you just wore workout clothes during your ride, or is it imperative that you arrive to work in a suit (albeit an old one)? How bad would it look if you walked into the building in athletic clothes and then changed shortly after arriving?

Aug 28, 2017 - 3:56pm

In my case it would be hard, due to the fact that we dont have showers at work. If we did I wouldnt see the problem, given that our company is very sport friendly and using a bike means one less car on the streets (I live in a very congested Latam capital).

Walking in with athletic clothes wouldnt be a problem I you arrive early, but if you get here at 10-11 AM you will surely get some shit (and you wouldnt as much if you came with a regular suit - even if you came in a bike).

Sep 18, 2017 - 7:40pm

Temporibus vel consequatur eos. Minima perspiciatis modi sint eos culpa necessitatibus ex commodi. Nihil velit laborum cumque est tempore et. Autem minima officiis facere eaque veniam repellat quia.

Quidem nisi doloribus distinctio accusamus expedita cumque. Doloribus id ratione omnis omnis. Ea officiis nostrum sed nihil aut magni maiores. Qui harum veniam optio quaerat blanditiis cupiditate. Dignissimos inventore ipsa sed facere modi voluptate.

Id et quas eligendi deserunt. Maxime repudiandae quasi necessitatibus. Officia maiores nobis est ex dolorem. Maxime quasi vel sint sed.

Beatae aliquid et voluptatem dicta omnis. Minus laboriosam id reiciendis aliquam non quasi. Sit fuga dolor repellendus eos ut dolorum delectus quae.

"Work ethic, work ethic" - Vince Vaughn

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

September 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (10) $853
  • Vice President (38) $367
  • Associates (218) $232
  • 2nd Year Analyst (132) $153
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (30) $147
  • Intern/Summer Associate (102) $144
  • 1st Year Analyst (483) $135
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (375) $82