Wells Fargo - Offer for a 2011 SA position

Hey guys,

I have an offer with Wells Fargo for a 2011 SA position. I am trying to decide between these groups:

Industrials (NY or Charlotte)

TMT (NY, SF or Charlotte)

M&A ( Charlotte)

Which of these groups/locations will have the best exit opportunities?

Thanks

TMT has a bad rap, M&A isn't as strong a group as industrials. I met with the industrials guys during full time placement and was really impressed. I also have a few classmates that are in the group and they think it is great.

bblooms:
TMT has a bad rap, M&A isn't as strong a group as industrials. I met with the industrials guys during full time placement and was really impressed. I also have a few classmates that are in the group and they think it is great.

Is this the Industrials team in NY or Charlotte?

ledger123:
actually just read that it's a SA position. work in NY for the summer. have fun. then get an offer FT at a bank that will actually get you somewhere

What group/location would give me the best opportunity to get a FT offer at another BB?

TheKid1:
When did you get the offer? and when did you apply, was it through school and if so did they call after the deadline for app and how many days after?

I got the offer in late February and it was through my school.

I worked on one M&A deal with Wells Fargo (joint advisors), and it was their M&A team that ran everything. There was an analyst, associate, VP and MD from M&A. Only one other senior guy was from coverage. The impressions I got was most of the heavy modeling is done by the M&A group. That's my only experience with them so take it for what it's worth.

My opinion is that while their M&A group is probably not as strong as MS or JPM - since they probably don't get on deals that are as high-profile - analysts in any pure M&A group will still get looks for exit opps. Can't say the same for a less reputable coverage group...

Wells Fargo gets shit on a lot on this website, but literally every guy I know from Wells ended up in PE (some in the South, one in CT, a few in NY). They are growing and several reputable sources have said WF has a lot of potential that will be realized in the next few years. They also had a great work experience. Definitely can't say that for my friends at GS.

You would be fine with any of those groups - the most important thing for SA is fit. Go with the people who you will learn from and get along with. I would honestly recommend staying in Charlotte. Unless you really want to go to NY or you really hit it off with one of the NY-based groups, the IBD HQ is in Charlotte and the NY/SF offices are VERY small and will not expose you to as many people or deals. When do you have to decide?

juniorcalifornian99:
Wells Fargo gets shit on a lot on this website, but literally every guy I know from Wells ended up in PE (some in the South, one in CT, a few in NY). They are growing and several reputable sources have said WF has a lot of potential that will be realized in the next few years. They also had a great work experience. Definitely can't say that for my friends at GS.

You would be fine with any of those groups - the most important thing for SA is fit. Go with the people who you will learn from and get along with. I would honestly recommend staying in Charlotte. Unless you really want to go to NY or you really hit it off with one of the NY-based groups, the IBD HQ is in Charlotte and the NY/SF offices are VERY small and will not expose you to as many people or deals. When do you have to decide?

Next weekend.

ekudekud sounds a lot like dukeofduke. i guess he has no life but to just troll on online forums.

Either way, juniorcalifornian99 is right. I hear Wells is moving a lot of their groups to Charlotte and are trying to establish a good trading floor there as well. I don't think CLT would be a bad idea but if you are trying to network into another BB, I would go with NY.

oldmansacks:
Go with Charlotte M&A for exit opps. Go to NY Industrials for networking,

This is actually pretty good advice...

That being said, don't listen to those in this thread who are bashing WF... it's a great place to start out and many on this board can only dream of getting an offer from a bank like WF. Sure, you can aim for a FT offer at GS or MS or wherever (especially if you want to be in NY), but Wells is a pretty good place to start out, and if you're good, opportunities will come.

Best Response

You will be raped in the TMT group...I can almost promise that. Obviously being raped isn't great since you will likely be in the bottom but it's still sexual experience, lol.

But seriously. If you are willing to sacrifice your summer to bust your ass, TMT (in Charlotte) might be the place to get the most (not necessarily the 'best') experience. Personally I'm partial to the southeast because I've lived here most of my life. My friends that live in Charlotte love it (some at Wells).

Anyways, like someone said before, pick the group that you fit in best with, because that will likely be a larger impact on whether you get a FT offer going forward than anything else.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

boutiquebank4life:
i think 30k and a free wagon

A stagecoach bonus would be epic, lol.

My buddy does have a deal toy that is this pretty awesome, hand crafted stagecoach replica. It's probably about a 10-12 inches high and just over a foot long (roughly).

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

booga086:
before I get shit on, how is WF TMT?

It's a sweatshop from a work stand point. As far as league tables are concerned, I'm not sure.

Regards

WestCoastChimp30:
Industrials in Charlotte. Your comp will go a lot further down there and you'll be seeing more deals. DCM or LevFin if you can get it.

Yeah, I would love to work in their LevFin group. I interviewed with them a few months back for an offcycle position...seemed to have placed 2nd, lol.

Regards

Qui dolor numquam ea inventore omnis dolores sed repellendus. Adipisci magni dignissimos amet dolore ex suscipit voluptatem. Ex quis et voluptatum est qui est illum. Rerum cumque rerum odit eum ut. Ad atque repellat sint aut molestiae modi nostrum. Tempora et unde cumque ea consectetur.

Esse facere ducimus delectus accusamus. Maxime aliquid praesentium ipsa beatae aut dolor doloribus.

Quae velit amet labore ea repellendus quibusdam eius. Atque nobis sunt eaque alias magnam quis consequatur. Et quidem sint ipsum expedita. Adipisci necessitatibus corporis a sint cupiditate ratione quidem.

Aut et commodi adipisci sit ipsum incidunt magnam. Magni dignissimos optio architecto optio fuga adipisci placeat. Qui deserunt ut dolorem quo minima eos. Autem maxime ut sint hic. Consectetur dignissimos deleniti dolorum delectus itaque rerum et. Qui consequatur neque explicabo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”