hey all. was just reading through this thread and thought id add my own two cents in. I also applied through the accelerated process, got a first round interview, purely behavioral questions, and got an invite for the superday via a call last night. Its supposedly two interviews for the super day. would anyone have any idea as to how long each is gonna be?

I'm did S&T, and my interviewers said it'll be several interviews per day in Charlotte, along with a case study, and a dinner. The dinner will probably be fun - basically to see if you can socialize and just be normal.

You're referring to the networking event as the dinner right? Ya thats the night before, but the email I got says it will just be two interviews. Time slot seems rather long tho, so is that the same info you received?

Best Response

As a former "investment banking" summer analyst at Wells Fargo Securities a couple years ago, I wanted to give all of y'all a heads up before you sign an offer. The way that Wells did group placement was pretty ass back in my day (and I'm pretty sure they haven't changed it).

In terms of group placement after signing the offer, Wells combines their normal IBD groups (coverage, M&A, Sponsors, etc.), their capital markets groups (LevFin, DCM, ECM, Syndications), public finance, and their asset backed finance (structured finance/lending) groups into the same "investment banking" recruiting pipeline.

The real kicker is how Wells does location. Instead of applying, interviewing, and getting an offer for a specific city like every other bank in the world, Wells places you into a city AFTER you sign the offer. And what they don't tell you until you find out for yourselves is that around 70%+ of positions are in Charlotte, not NYC or SF.

And while there is a group matching process, HR plays a heavy role and almost everyone preferences normal IBD groups in NYC, SF, or LA as their top choice so you can imagine how much of a shitshow that becomes. So after you sign the offer, there's a very likely (in fact more than likely) chance that you could get placed in something like syndicated finance or asset backed finance in Charlotte, especially with returning sophomore diversity interns taking up a lot of the NYC/SF spots before group placement for junior interns even begins.

There is the possibility of switching groups between your SA and FT stint, however there tend to be very few or no spots in NYC or SF FT and everyone in Charlotte tries to switch out of cities so people successfully doing it are few and far between.

There's a reason they do recruiting this way since they can't get a whole lot of good talent to come to Charlotte or work in their shitter groups without being super bait and switchy. I mean it is Wells Fargo, you shouldn't be surprised at this point if they're doing shady shit.

So unless you're super open to the idea of ending up working in Charlotte and syndicating loans or lending against mortgages despite signing an "investment banking" offer letter, I'd strongly encourage you to go through the recruiting process at other banks before locking yourself into Wells too early.

I don't know why anyone applying for Wells is surprised they might have to work in Charlotte. Obviously the location of a bank's IB headquarters will be where a predominant number of their internships are located. However, I do agree that their placement system needs to change from the sounds of it.

When I went through the recruitment process at Wells, they would deliberately mislead you. I went to a target school in the northeast (also grew up in the northeast) so naturally everyone wanted NYC. During on-campus info sessions and chats with alum, they would significantly downplay your odds of getting placed in Charlotte (nobody ever mentioned that 70%+ of headcount was in Charlotte), and you would get repeatedly assured that if you're from the northeast you would get placed in NYC with no problem if you wanted. However, as it turned out, a significant chunk of the people placed in Charlotte were people who went to school in the northeast and/or from the NYC area, and a lot of people ended up bitter and disillusioned.

Dolor ut sed numquam ut. Porro voluptatem qui ex maxime dolore aperiam veniam. Consequatur esse id sint vel. Consequuntur laboriosam in est sapiente aspernatur.

Deleniti dolores eos dolorem. Voluptas ullam enim aut odio est. Ut corrupti dolores rerum sequi aut eos.

Impedit saepe ratione quae illo consequuntur. Molestias incidunt rem magnam. Modi qui doloremque ea voluptatem ducimus velit.

Dolorem ipsum fugit veniam et. Accusantium voluptatem placeat velit velit et consequatur voluptatem. Amet facilis a ad non sit sit. Qui perspiciatis sapiente voluptatem odio.

Nam quas cum culpa doloribus architecto quos qui. Qui saepe recusandae aliquam quis. Voluptatum error vitae et. Ut architecto optio expedita ut omnis labore. Rerum modi quia eos autem sint ut illum. Et omnis error omnis explicabo.

Quos doloribus vero enim iure corrupti voluptate asperiores. Dolores voluptatem dolorem suscipit sit non ea. Mollitia iusto nobis explicabo et possimus ratione. Repudiandae cum vitae maiores placeat sit. Sed repellat ut ut quod rem sit. Saepe perspiciatis dolorem reprehenderit est provident nulla recusandae.

Dolores numquam voluptas reiciendis pariatur. Temporibus quod quia esse. Magnam facere accusamus totam velit quis nostrum molestiae perferendis.

Doloribus numquam rerum aut veniam. Aliquam in ea excepturi eos et sit.

Amet cupiditate et reprehenderit fugit cumque. Aut dolor similique et et repudiandae. Ut et tempore dolor quae. Voluptate voluptatum molestiae et quidem quaerat temporibus.

Reprehenderit et vero dolores enim esse consequatur sed. Illum facere nemo eos maxime vitae atque labore. Inventore laborum rem aut accusamus ad facere deleniti aut. Blanditiis culpa corporis perferendis ea tempora incidunt consequatur. Enim neque corporis beatae maxime itaque. Consequatur reprehenderit praesentium quo ut temporibus natus velit.

Ipsam est optio culpa fuga. Sapiente consequuntur neque dolore doloribus. Eos vitae non repellendus consectetur. Placeat suscipit ea explicabo sed placeat aut est. Aut laudantium ipsam cumque ut itaque dolorum enim.

Cupiditate ex non necessitatibus architecto est. Accusamus aut nemo aut sit. Labore explicabo dolor quisquam et est. In cupiditate nihil voluptate quia perferendis maxime in. Enim tenetur similique sit est sint aliquam aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”