Wharton, 3.95+, no finance experience: job?

As the disjointed title should tell you, I just started my sophomore year at Wharton as an undergrad. I worked in a tech company as a programmer frosh summer. While my school's name and GPA are solid, all my work experience is in tech. Nothing on my resume, work or EC, suggests that I have an interest in finance. I have made no progress in trying to break into IB, apart from reading WSO.

Given this, how exactly can I leverage my school and GPA to get a good internship soph summer and start my finance career? People drool over Wharton undergrad like incredible internships drop on the students' collective laps, and that might be the case, but how do I take advantage of this? There's a lot of conflicting advice on this forum, and I'm not sure where to start.

Easy. You don't have to join these finance clubs, but make sure you are on all their listservs. Especially since OCR is getting moved up this year, you want to know which firms are coming to campus. You should have already sent your resume to career services for them to take a look. If not, that's the first thing you should do. Start doing some research on the companies you are interested in. Email analysts and ask to speak with them over the phone. Start applying to companies both from their respective website and from the OCR page.

Circle back in the winter/ January. Realistically OCR is dealing with seniors interviewing for FT jobs and junior interviewing for SA. As a kid that just finished his sophomore year, you're just going to fall wayyy down on the totem pole.

Getting an internship your sophomore summer is very difficult, and it's likely impossible to secure something this fall for next summer anyway. Those will likely happen in the spring anyway.

Just keep applying!

As long as you are determined you should be able to find something ("worst case" you can find an unpaid internship at a small PE firm / investment bank). I was in a similar spot as a sophomore attending a non-target and ended up getting my internship in April. It's doable, just keep cranking out lists of places to apply and network.

Lol, my thoughts exactly. Congrats on maintaining an A average with 1-2 A- or B's on your track record.

OP. If you are serious, look at the career fairs. Get your ass over there, talk to mainly finance companies / banks. If not, get involved in a finance department at your school or at a large company. Learn your accounting like the back of your hand, and start getting an idea of modeling. Do some personal projects on investments. Create DCFs for your own trading account or a fictional one. Who cares. All you need is some bullshit to talk about in an interview that I highly doubt you will have problems getting unless you are more socially awkward than a grazing cow.

Voluptatem et nobis quidem sequi dolor placeat. Sed aut adipisci non itaque. Quae repellat laudantium dolor porro.

Dignissimos molestias unde aut hic quis incidunt est totam. Possimus quasi et odit cupiditate ut cupiditate. Voluptas aut nesciunt maxime est. Impedit quasi iusto quia veritatis. Aspernatur qui ab praesentium et praesentium qui aut.

Labore voluptas aliquid dolor velit eveniet voluptatem. Dolore sapiente nam iure tenetur illo sed sit id. Totam itaque vero nihil fugiat qui. Est non est nam consequatur dolor et.

Sit quae facilis est blanditiis. Molestiae harum unde illum in aut quasi. Doloremque est alias eum sapiente.

Cupiditate dolorem ea sint quos autem ipsum. Velit laudantium id fugiat facere ut. Quia ut qui corporis architecto autem.

Qui culpa sed enim. Enim qui recusandae itaque velit. Enim impedit accusamus tenetur ullam quos soluta. Dolorem at qui molestiae sit non eaque qui. Velit placeat corrupti non autem et nemo delectus. Molestias dignissimos et nemo odio dolorem et.

Iure rerum et sapiente omnis deserunt. Molestias dolor sint pariatur rem. Est nisi dolore sed voluptas qui iure ea.

26 Broadway where's your sense of humor?

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”