wharton, duke, columbia,stanford Ugrad worth 250k?

I'm thinking about applying to wharton, stanford, columbia, duke but I'm wondering if it's worth the almost 250k debt hence getting in with financial aid is almost impossible for me (international).
Especially compared to schools like Amherest or Bocconi.

I'm guessing that wharton and stanford are probably worth it...

I think the way for you would be to go to bocconi and crush it there. Get a decent job out of undergrad and spend that money on an mba.

For me personally, I would take on the debt for stanford, wharton and columbia but only if I could borrow through my family at a cheap rate.

If you are german (what your name indicates) it is only worth it if you are prepared to walk away from Germany. Germans hate fancy education and you will never earn that money back compared to going to a public in Germany and be decent there.

I'm definatly going to sell the house, I'm just not sure if 250k is a good choice.

Here's my situation: I know that I will get into a target in germany which would cost me 40k, and it's pretty easy getting an IB job from there. I could pay 40k for a semi-target in UK (durham,nottingham) I could pay 40-60k for a continental target. (HSG,Bocconi,ESSEC) I could pay 60k for gtown,amherest,northwestern etc. I could pay 250k for Wharton/duke/stanford

I'm just wondering what's the best decision in the long run, I'm not really interested in germany but I would love to work in the US.

Best Response

All I wanted to do when I was growing up was to "drop the mic" and NEVER return home... I understand where you're coming from. IB is extremely competitive in the US, and it'll be more difficult as an international student requiring a Visa. I'd go to that German target, try to break-in and in the interim rent out your house. Being a young professional with a good education, excellent work experience and an income producing asset... Is a position of power. You'd also have a lot more flexibility for future opportunities. For example, you could try to move to the US after a few years of IB experience, move to a different office within your bank or move to the buyside outside of Germany. Maybe try going through a top MBA program in the US and then sell your house to finance it.

Planning on compensating for your cheaper undergrad by going to B school is idiotic. That's an extra $200k right there to learn essentially nothing. Obviously if you end up in PE where you need the MBA stamp that is one thing, but you'll be able to afford that when you come to it if need be. If I were you I would spend the extra money on Wharton, maybe Duke/Stanford, but otherwise just go to Amherst or Gtown. I would say all offer the same opportunities with Wharton an obvious step above in my opinion.

Why would you say debt and then say sell family house? In that case I would do wharton if you get in. If you are talking about WHU/Frankfurt School/EBS in Germany i would stay away. experience is not comparable with your other choices. If you get into HSG/Bocconi that should be your one end of the spectrum. Don't to the german privates and don't do the british 3rd tier stuff.

Although I also don't understand the 60k 250k spread, I would seriously consider GTown and Northwestern.

Also keep in mind that you might not be willing to do IB or other high stress/ high salary jobs and then wharton put you in a big hole financially.

I was talking about them 3 haha, Well I'm pretty sure that I get into Bocconi hence they have the "direct offer if you achieve 12 points" (which I have), St gallen is my first choice for europe though. The thing with wharton basiclly is that they're "need-sensitive" and therefore my chance getting in is almost 0 if I apply for financial aid. Amherest, Gtown and cornell however are "need-blind" and I would probably get a nice "financial aid" package.

Since I'm curious now, which school would offer me better chances in their respective market (ldn/nyc)? Bocconi/HSG or Amherest/Cornell/Gtown?

What makes you think you would get a nice "financial aid" package from those schools? I'd seriously reconsider how you think that they would be giving you any money let alone a significant chunk.

Consequuntur tempora labore labore sed. Quis et minus qui illum et ipsam. A aut rerum perspiciatis quibusdam velit. Ipsam quia ut doloremque corrupti.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”