What are my chances for internship at top firm?

3.8
Target school
No prior experience in banking or S&T, but good extracurriculars
Please chance me to elite boutiques (evercore, bx, greenhill, moelis, lazard) and top 10 BB banks (big 4/5) ONLY! None of that jeffries or hlhz bullcrap.

would you say >50%? All in all i'm looking at around 15 banks total, ALL TOP LEAGUE (the top 10 big banks and 5 elite boutiques). Chance me with this in mind please. crappy MM and boutique is NOT an option!

Comments (21)

Nov 4, 2009

you'll probably land an interview with 75% of the banks if you have some decent work experience with that. you should still consider all banks like piper jaffray and thomas weisel in this type of environment...

Nov 4, 2009

So let me get it straight, you want your first finance internship to be at Lazard/Moelis/MS/GS front-office banking positions?

Nov 4, 2009

Something like that yea, I mean 15 banks is a lot of variety even if some only hire 5-10 or others hire 20 or 50 or even 80. What are the chances? i'm not saying i'm 100% but i'm wondering if i'm above 50% or have a good chance.

hey thanks monkey.. so i might get 1st round with 10 or so out of the 15 on my list? how hard are first rounds, seconds, and superdays? seems pretty hard to strike out imo, iunno how kids don't have jobs. and NO don't bother chancing me for piper/wiesel. i am pretty sure i will get at least 1 offer from the 15...i'm at a target with a high gpa.

Nov 4, 2009

you have no chance

Nov 4, 2009

Surely this is a wind-up...

Learn More

Side-by-side comparison of top modeling training courses + exclusive discount through WSO here.

Nov 4, 2009

monkeynumber.. why not?

and what's a windup?

guys if u think about it... there's probably like 400-800 spots total at the top 10 big banks and like a total of 50 or so spots with the 5 boutiques. How many 3.8 target kids are there who want banking? not that many. most of those on this site are from nontargets and my peers at my school dont have as good gpa and some are clueless about banking.

Nov 4, 2009

How many 3.8 target kids are there who want banking?

TONS

They all come out of the woodwork during recruiting season, like a swarm of angry bees to honey

Nov 4, 2009

I wouldn't really call Uni of Texas 'target', Jeffrey. Certainly not by "elite boutiques (evercore, bx, greenhill, moelis, lazard) and top 10 BB banks (big 4/5) ONLY!" standards.

Just my 2c.

Nov 4, 2009

there are tons of 3.8 target kids who want banking.

you shouldn't think that just because you can get tons of interviews that you are guaranteed a job by the pure chance. It doesn't work that way.

gotta network and sharpen up your interview skills.

You might get 7 superdays without one offer.

Nov 4, 2009

lol this is certainly a troll.

in the slim chance it isnt, OP: you are clearly underestimating the competition. There will be PLENTY of kids with previous banking experience at targets and I hate to break it to you, but:

3.5 w/ banking experience > 3.8 w/out any banking experience

And that is not even considering all the kids who have 3.8 and relevant banking experience.

Its not the case that you have 75% chance at each individual bank and that translates to you getting interviews at 75% of the banks. You do not seem like a good candidate and you might get a couple first round interviews (dont hold your breath), but nothing else.

Nov 4, 2009
mm2:

3.5 w/ FINANCE experience > 3.8 w/out any banking experience

Fixed

Nov 4, 2009

The Duke interview process is ridiculous, without a previous finance internship I would give you a 25% chance of a decent internship and a 75% chance of a good one.

However, 3.8 + any finance experience will get you a job full time next year out of Duke. Believe it or not, internships are harder to get than full-time offers. This is because internships ARE essentially full time offers, but everyone is less mature and has less experience.

Get an internship and leverage it next year.

Nov 4, 2009

i am pretty confident in my interviewing skills and besides, i think i'll have an advantage since i hear that even bb's like citi and boa have a lot of state kids there which im' sure i'll be able to beat. kids like umiami and rutgers and penn state.

Nov 4, 2009
ultratrader89:

i am pretty confident in my interviewing skills and besides, i think i'll have an advantage since i hear that even bb's like citi and boa have a lot of state kids there which im' sure i'll be able to beat. kids like umiami and rutgers and penn state.

Well... you are right... but at least we don't suck our own dicks.

Nov 4, 2009

Evercore, BX, Greenhill, and Moelis really only take kids who are majoring in finance or have an IB background/ very relevant experience. So unless you know someone there, I'd say your chances are 0%.

I'm from a target private school and I hate it when I hear other people who are far too up on themselves because of the school they go to.

Every BB has state school kids in them, why? Because the majority of them don't feel entitled to an IB job like the kids from private schools.

I suggest you humble yourself before your interviews.

Nov 4, 2009

Ok fine, I didn't really want to work at a boutique anyways. So I guess just rank my chances at the top 10 banks and BB's? Am I a pretty good shot of getting an offer with at least 1 out of 10 aka 10%.

Nov 5, 2009
ultratrader89:

at least 1 out of 10 aka 10%.

After taking upper division combinatorics and probability I must say that you are correct:

P(at least 1 elite offer) = 10%. In other words, you have 90% chance of not getting anything. LOOOOOL

Nov 4, 2009

Well, probably not. You see... it's pretty easy for an interviewer to tell what kind of person you are. Aside from the fact that you may have missed the required English courses, you come across as an arrogant moron. No one wants to hire a kid who thinks he's God's gift to the world. Interviewers will see right through your BS. You're an absolute clown. And your 3.8 at Duke isn't very impressive.

Nov 7, 2009

.

Dec 27, 2012
Comment
Dec 27, 2012
Comment