What are your personal and career goals for the next decade (2020-2030)

Anyone have a 5-10 year plan on what you would like to ideally accomplish?

Where do you see yourself by the year 2030? What would you like to learn more about in the real estate sector and what steps do you need to take in order to accomplish your dreams/goals?

Most Helpful

Great thread idea.

Professionally, over the next 5-10 years I want to gain additional product type experience (primarily in office development), improve on my team management skills, and get to the point where in 2030 I'm doing my own deals full time. Ideally, I hope to accomplish that somewhere between 2025/2030, but you never know where life will take you. I want to deepen my relationships with my mentors and find ways to give back to them for all they've done for me. I also want to continue to mentor people coming out of school, which is something that gives me tremendous joy. Finally, I want to find a way to be an advocate for better urbanism as a private sector voice.

Personally, this decade will be a big one. I'm getting married this year, so buying a place instead of renting, paying off all of my student loans, having ideally two kids, and then probably buying another place toward the end of the decade are all in the cards. Some overarching personal goals are to be in better shape at 40 than I was at 30, read more every year than the year before, remember to take vacations, and to give back as much as I can - particularly to my mom.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Professionally, I want to contribute to the continued growth of the FO I work for. I am currently the only acquisitions employee vs 12 or so in AM. I'd like to position myself to build up the transaction team and take a more active leadership role.

Personally, I would like to start having kids in 2-3 years (currently married for 1). I hope to start some RE investments (vanilla multifam) now that all the other personal finances are an auto pilot (maxing retirement contributions, fat emergency fund, etc.). I'd like to get out hunting/fishing at least 50 times a year and take at least one two week vacation a year. I'd also like to drop 40lbs and compete in my first powerlifting meet this year.

2020: Break into CRE industry from Big 4 as an analyst in Boston or NYC market. Anyone willing to share their own story/offer pieces of advice, please PM 2021-2024: Invest in 1-3 properties (condo/single family/multi) 2021 & 2030: Grind. Learn as much as possible across product types and markets. Grow network. Hold leadership positions and give back 2030-?: Go out on my own/Partner with solid people to start Investment/Development firm

Fuck bitches; get money. Simple in theory but tougher in practice.

• Have another kid
  • Get rid of my student loan debt
  • Work overseas for a year or two (preferably Europe but Latin America would be dope)
  • Start working for myself
  • Become a millionaire (related to working for myself)
  • Help my brothers and sisters become successful in any way I can
  • Help my parents financially as they head towards retirement

Agreed with CRE. This decade is massive for me. f I find myself meaningfully far from any of these goals (other than having another kid and loan debt) by the end of the decade, I'm afraid I might never achieve them.

Array

maineiac42:
Not sure how old you are but a lot of successful companies, particularly in legacy industries like real estate, are founded by people in their 40s and 50s.

I will be 40 by the end of the decade. And I am not in RE and my career goals are not necessarily RE-related.

Array

BobTheBaker:
- Work overseas for a year or two (preferably Europe but Latin America would be dope)

That is definitely a pie in the sky goal of mine as well, I'm just not sure how likely it is that I accomplish that one in the next decade. I think it would be cool to raise kids in a foreign country for a year or two once they're old enough to remember it in order to expand their world view a bit.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

I agree this would be cool but I can't imagine just uprooting my whole life. The only way I can see it happening is if my wife gets offered a temporary role in another country by her company where there are additional stipends for housing and schooling. Even then, kids would have to be the right age, probably elementary or middle school.

2030 puts me in my mid-30s, so career-wise... 1. Live/Work outside of NA (Europe, Aus/New Zealand, LatAm) for minimum 1 year 2. Either start own RE-related business or switch to different industry 3. Pursue some higher education 4. Write something substantial (probably a screenplay, but really anything)

Personally, get married and have at least 1 kid by then. Most important stuff for me is staying close with family and friends, and helping them whenever / however I can. Parents aren't getting any younger, so trying to enjoy having them around while they still are is important.

Goals for 2020-2030 Professional: I am starting my first job in CRE as a development analyst in July, have several goals in regards to that

• Gain construction knowledge. Currently know nothing about construction, only real estate finance. Also want to learn about architecture and carrying out the entitlement process.

• Be the most charismatic person in my office. Always be friendly to coworkers, even the assholes. Build relationships with my coworkers in and out of the office, become genuinely interested in them.

• Build my professional network. Join my local ULI, connect with alumns in CRE, constantly meet new people in the real estate industry.

• Start building my real estate business on the side in 2-4 years

Personal

• Get in better shape. Working out has always been in phases, never consistently got into it.

• Make more of an effort to spend time with family.

• Travel internationally once per year. Do frequent weekend trips.

• Learn how to wakeboard and snowboard. Improve my surfing.

• Meet my future wife.

Here we go. - Add 10 million square feet of new product to the REIT's portfolio with my new local regional team - Become a leading development executive in my own right - Due to our success, large Capital partners start to throw money at us and we split off and go private - Hit some big promotes and start to save a serious nest egg Non RE: - Get married ,start a family - Take care of my parents - Own a couple homes - Get healthier physically, mentally - Continue to expand my knowledge, read read read

Nemo repudiandae reiciendis nisi ex inventore. Est maiores ullam unde et quam. Autem et aut ipsum quis voluptate minus recusandae. Est aliquam a dolor tempora placeat minus.

Affar Baksh is top Real Estate Attorney in Queens, New York. Most 5-star ratings in New York city area demonstrate his qualifications and skills.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”