financial is mostly technical analysis...everything you need to know is on the price/volume chart. when i trade crude oil...i'm just using a chart and basic news feed for "risk events"...nothing else.

it takes time to learn all the technical patterns...doing it in realtime during the trading day is a learned skill that takes years

just google it...you're welcome

Most Helpful

Couldn’t disagree more about financial trading is all technical. For a gas trade you want to project what you think storage entry/exits are then run weather scenarios and see how that changes your storage balances then risk adjust your trades.

Very different thought process go into fundamental vs technical strategies. Taking a fundamental look at a commodities market involves primarily looking at supply and demand and identifying what factors will disrupt the current equilibrium and drive a change in the trading range. Technical strategies, you're looking to ride momentum and unload volume quickly

Balancing S/D factors? Can you explain? See, for me as a market maker... yes, fundamentals are important but for me, primarily when I'm quoting cal strips, I look for the value of the strips based on my pricing model and if I do see that I can make money and get flat to make a couple grand, great, that's what I want to do ideally. Do I want trade fundamentally? Of course and maybe I can put on prop trades but I was never the true fundamentals of NG market. So any explanation would be great. Looking at the EIA storage... wouldn't that be too delayed?

mswoonc:
Balancing S/D factors? Can you explain? See, for me as a market maker... yes, fundamentals are important but for me, primarily when I'm quoting cal strips, I look for the value of the strips based on my pricing model and if I do see that I can make money and get flat to make a couple grand, great, that's what I want to do ideally. Do I want trade fundamentally? Of course and maybe I can put on prop trades but I was never the true fundamentals of NG market. So any explanation would be great. Looking at the EIA storage... wouldn't that be too delayed?

You use the eia # to calibrate your model in semi real time. Based on my S/D I have an idea of what each # will be for the next 10 weeks. Now once the eia # comes out I compare it to my estimate. Was I off? If so which region? Why was it off? Was this a structural change or just noise? If structural you adjust your S/D. Where is my new storage balance, is it healthy ? If not how do I solve for this?

Every person/client that i know who traded anything leveraged using technical analysis lost their money, every one of them.

You killed the Greece spread goes up, spread goes down, from Wall Street they all play like a freak, Goldman Sachs 'o beat.

For physical the biggest trades are structured products for capacity and storage think open season from a pipeline , AMA from a utility. Capacity can be vanilla in that you can value it as an intrinsic spread between receipt (long) , and market (short). It’s really a basis spread that you can hedge financially. The issue is if your bidding on capacity your more than likely not going to win it if you bid in the futures spread (intrinsic) because of how competitive it is. Most people bid in intrinsic plus. Anything above the intrinsic value of the capacity is going to be extrinsic value that can’t be necessary hedged. That capacity now turns into an out of the money option. So what goes into the extrinsic value? For me when I look at extrinsic I see how it fits my portfolio , is there added synergies to my shorts (power load, retail load) or to my longs (producer services, storage). Can I segment the capacity and sell ancillary markets on top of the primary market I hedged? Finally is there optionality between other markets in the daily markets. I think Transco long haul is the best example of this, or even TETCO legacy capacity. Storage is whole beast in itself that is a out of the money option. You very rarely winning storage at intrinsic and your going to be wearing the extrinsic risk. Again storage you can hedge the summer , winter spread and set a optimal long / short schedule. From their your going to be trading cash to prompt/futures spreads. Moving around your futures trades via rolling intrinsic , or writing your own options by buying and selling months ie go long March / April spread. Some storages have optionality to deliver into different markets so you have that to trade as well. In my personal opinion any structured physical trade is just an option. A pure financial trade you have a lot more directional risk. Obviously it’s a commodity so supply and demand have most weight into price action. Summer will be storage report and CDDs forecast for power demand , and winter will be HDDs for utility weather sensitive demand. HDDs have a lot more weight into price since demand as a steeper slope. Also timing is important a cold forecast in the beginning of winter is different than a cold forecast later in winter think of that price rally back in the beginning of November. I use very basic technicals as a compliment to fundamentals to see when the market is over sold / bought but strong fundamentals will win every time. That Friday sell off after thanksgiving is a good example ... market was way over sold and bounced right back on Monday , than Tuesday colder forecast came in and propped up the market even more. Obviously other fundamental factors like production output, rig count goes into. The production output is what’s driving the bears right now keeping NG below $3.

Ut ut quia alias autem molestias. Necessitatibus mollitia ut iste quia eaque facere. Iusto in enim necessitatibus consectetur molestiae voluptatem autem. Ut dolorem rerum id qui quae unde. Praesentium commodi commodi et blanditiis.

Consequuntur pariatur unde praesentium adipisci sed temporibus libero. Quia est est sed at ut. Deserunt aut optio rerum. Eius qui tempore ullam sunt sit et dolorem. Quo nulla facilis magni saepe.

Accusantium autem odit mollitia aut voluptatem. Suscipit consequatur voluptas quis ea. Natus deleniti debitis odit sint.

Architecto eveniet adipisci omnis enim rerum repellat aliquam. Iste quaerat sed ut atque ad voluptas laborum. Qui iusto quo perferendis sunt quis iure pariatur. Et magnam architecto similique incidunt praesentium aspernatur. Qui asperiores et rerum est quibusdam sit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”