What to do with $250k in savings?

If things pan out this year, I’ll have roughly $250k in savings total (in 401k, partly invested at my work which is a HF, etc.). I’m 25 years old and single, and live in a high COL city. What would you do with this? Part of me just wants to quit, buy a $200-$300k condo in SoCal, and never have to worry about rent/mortgages (aka never being homeless) for the rest of my life. I have no plans to do a MBA or anything like that.

See my previous thread “Sick of Being Beta”. A combination of no rent, no undergrad debt, and HF job out of undergrad (which has done well since I joined; albeit not in a linear fashion).

Most Helpful

250K is not nearly enough to "be fine in California", especially not if you account for CoL, taxes, and overall California lifestyle (lots of driving, going out, friends many miles away, having a family and some hobbies/activities cost more than elsewhere). If you are only looking at property in California as a safety net (not being homeless) and/or as an investment - I would consider it.

Otherwise - invest the money (not necessarily all of it, depending on investment) and keep your current gig. I know people who founded their own company, bought into successful franchises or laundromats in good locations, (..) while they were working and they made a profit. 250K is on the lower side for most commercial investments (I looked into QSR franchises a while ago and was shocked how much a McDonald's or Wienerschnitzel costs), but it should work out. Just make sure you do your research.

That makes sense. I am in RE so it may seem easier for me. One thing I do know is that RE returns can be improved significantly if one can self manage, organize their own management instead of paying for it. paying for management ensures two things:

1. your money is going somewhere else.
  2. they wont care about the business as much as an owner would.

People are enthralled by "passive" income, but you spend a lot of money for "passive" with just a little bit of "active", things get better... unless you have scale, then you are a big fish to the management companies who will take your properties seriously.

The other thing I will say about REIT investment is they dont care about the after tax returns to the investor. Part of the significance of real estate is writing off interest expense and depreciation, done correctly, the after tax returns are significant.

my 2 cents.

keep working...it takes 2mm to comfortable retire in the United states, and maintain a comfortable standard of living (buy and furnish an avg home, eat at normal restaurants, car lease payments, real estate taxes, utilities, pay for children's care, medical, education at a basic level, summer vacation for the family, etc... So, until you have 2mm saved, you are just not there yet. However, if you have 250k at 25, then you should be able to retire with 2mm in about 4-5 years assuming some avg earning progression ...which would put you in the top 1% of the population....so my advice is..go do that.

just google it...you're welcome

Being imprisoned in a 401k, it basically doesn't exist. You screwed up. Retirement accounts are basically a joke and do nothing more than hold your money hostage and restrict your investment choices for the dubious benefit of "tax-deferred" earnings, and possible employer contribution matching for 401ks. You only pay taxes on realized gains anyway, not paper gains, and the employer matching is not enough to justify not being able to access your own money whenever you want, so the whole concept is pretty worthless IMO.

Thus, the unfortunate answer to your question is: nothing (unless you want to take a massive "early withdrawal" loss).

401ks have a carrot and a stick. The carrot is that you get to defer taxes on the contribution and the growth from your peak earnings years until retirement when you have no income, and in the US, generally the more that you make in a given year, the bigger % of the total that you pay in taxes. (or get tax free growth in a Roth 401k) The stick is that you are locking up the money until 59.5+ in most cases or paying a significant penalty. Rarely does it make sense to pull money from a 401k early, presuming that you have enough liquidity to meet your daily needs. (and if you don't, then you have bigger problems)

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.

Cumque qui voluptatem doloribus dolorum ab fuga neque. Eveniet voluptatem impedit et sunt voluptatum minima dolor.

Delectus alias delectus et minima enim quia ab aut. Sed ut qui odit in. Placeat numquam enim dolore iste.

Animi labore nam delectus id voluptatem autem qui rerum. Consequatur ipsum est a ullam rem itaque illum.

Autem et consequatur est harum voluptas. Ut reiciendis modi mollitia blanditiis velit est. Ratione labore amet dolorem.

Sapiente sit illum dolorem quia. Nulla veritatis ut pariatur ea. Molestiae beatae nihil vel quis quae debitis. Odio deserunt est ea error expedita qui et excepturi. Quod officia est magnam. Voluptas est ullam tempore nihil unde commodi.

Eius doloribus atque sequi veniam. Saepe quo sint facere qui debitis natus in. Quam provident cum fuga. Enim iste a omnis commodi. Enim et aut vero architecto eius repellat. Eum sapiente minima dolores quam id perspiciatis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”