What to do with a 640 GMAT ?

Palomafin's picture

Hi guys,

I'd appreciate some help in evaluating my profile. I would like to land a job in IBD, but it's pretty difficult if you come from french universities, this is why I am applying to top universities in Europe.

• Undergrad degree : Bsc in Business/Management at La Sorbonne University in Paris, GPA of 14/20 (2:1 equivalent I guess), good ranking (top 5%)
  • Just started my 1st year of Master (out of 2) in Financial Engineering.
  • GMAT : 630 and 640 last year
  • 3 month internship in a very small M&A boutique
  • Multicultural background (speak 4 languages + lived in many countries)

Got rejected last year at Bocconi for Msc Finance. I would like to apply this year to the following programmes :

• Bocconi : MiM and maybe MiF again
  • LSE : MiM or MiF, but I know they have other masters like Strategy, Private Equity (maybe less selective?)
  • ESSEC MiM : difficult to get in since I have a french undergrad degree

I will also try Imperial, Warwick, UCL since they do not require GMAT.

Do you guys think I have a chance in one of these programmes? I know I should retake the GMAT but I have 1-2 months left and I believe it's too short to improve my score.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Comments (4)

Sep 23, 2018

Hi Palomafin, any of these topics helpful:

• 2019 Internship #finance #recruiting #university #career ... DELETEXXCXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx #accounting ...
  • The Zero Stress Life? their own stress/quality of living? Thanks!!! #accounting #finance #recruiting #university #career ... program (nowhere near HYP, but Big 4 firms heavily recruit here). I'm an accounting major with ... two summers). I'm just curious, what is the best career path for me to achieve the best quality ..
  • Summer After Sophomore Year 2018 you all would be able to give me. #accounting #finance #recruiting #university #career #advisements ... a sports team if that will help my case. I just need some help figuring out what to do with the rest of my ... a decent gpa majoring in finance and mathematics. I had a tough time adjustin
  • Investment Banking Recruiting and Feeling Hopeless energy to something else? I want this so badly. Please help. #accounting #finance #recruiting #university ... #career #advisements o to Wednesday, September 5, 2018- 11:00am ... I don't know what to do other than keep sending emails to people in IB and never getting replied back.
  • Job market for finance majors? #finance #recruiting #university #career #advisements ... I just want to hear from some of guys how long did it take you to get a job out of college? #accounting ... under financial management, I was thinking about doing accounting my aunt is a CPA and I find it boring. ...
  • Service Academy Grad Career- Non Commission #recruiting #university #career #advisements ... I have put on my resume. Any advice or recommendations from this forum? Thanks! #accounting #finance ... Consulting but do not know the right way to go about doing so as an applicant with no prior applicable ...
  • Am I too late?? #finance #recruiting #university #career ... an offer in the fall anymore. Am I too late? Or do banks do two rounds of recruiting too? #accounting ... recruiting to a ridiculously early time this year and i don't know if there's hope for me to land ...
  • More suggestions...

No promises, but maybe one of our professional members will share their wisdom: @Nauyaaa @Hawks2016 @gunjanjain19496

I hope those threads give you a bit more insight.

Most Helpful
Sep 26, 2018

Sorry. I recommend you retake. Even if that means you apply later.

Linda Abraham
President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

Sep 26, 2018

If the goal is IB, go to a school that sends large numbers of students into IB every year. Period. You can apply now if you want, but be prepared to retake the GMAT and reapply next year.

Sep 27, 2018
Comment