What was recruiting like before 2008?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you remember what recruiting was like before 2008 and the current recession we are in. I get the impression that banking is difficult to get into regardless of good times or bad times, but I hear a few years ago banks were giving away positions like candy. Back when I started reading this site I saw very few 'No offer, What do I do now" kind of posts and now they are springing up all over. I'm curious to hear your impressions about how difficult it was to get in both banking and consulting before the current market meltdown. How much easier was it?

• monkey

Best Response

A friend at a BB S&T group in NY said that in the boom years they would get 250-300 applications from the school he was in charge of recruiting for, and then they would hire around 5 summer interns.

This year he said applications were down to around 50 from that school and they only took 1 person for the summer.

So on paper the odds are theoretically about the same, but the difference is that those 50 people are much more serious / well-qualified than the 250-300 who applied in previous years.

Back then if you were at a core recruiting school you could kind of just BS your way in and maybe you wouldn't end up at GS or MS, but you would probably get something. These days, lots of students at core schools are surprised that they have to actually network their asses off to have a shot at getting in, which is one of the topics we've been covering in recent presentations.

This year he said applications were down to around 50 from that school and they only took 1 person for the summer.

I find it hard to believe that only 50 people dropped their resume from one school for a BB.

Dolores quod sit voluptates quaerat. Voluptates molestiae esse magnam rem eum saepe eius. Velit vitae sed autem molestiae possimus reiciendis laborum.

Eligendi ad voluptas eum fuga consequatur modi nihil. Quia ut hic unde. Soluta atque delectus dolorum ipsum. Optio non sed facere et sequi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”