Actually it makes it more likely there would be one, according to simple macroeconomics. Low consumer sentiment means less spending, lowering GDP, etc. Downward spiral. That’s why people care so much when the Fed provides an outlook - consumers end up adjusting their savings based on future expectations. The economy is very intertwined.

Most Helpful

Being worried about recession is not something unique to banking. Most high paying jobs on the corporate side are discretionary positions tied to growth. That's why they warrant salaries higher than the masses working in direct operations. With regards to banks, these are similar high paying positions because the expectation is you will create this non-core revenue stream.

So don't worry about recession. With regards to an actual financial crisis like in 2008, no one knows what the fall out will be. Some like to say banks are safer because of Basel III and other regulations, so that a financial crisis would be much less severe.

But I do think the financial sector will remain on shaky ground, as long as they're raping kids of their lives, charging excessive 6-8% rates on student loans. I think a framework needs to be found to either relieve the interest/debt burden (i.e., allow students to repay when they actually have money in the bank), stop charging rates so lenders can profit (definitely reduce the spread by a lot), and they need to provide more assistance/more information to resources helping students pay more out of pocket.

This should be a bi-partisan effort because everyone has this issue. When it comes to who is voting, it's the kids now with all the debt. And if they keep seeing their bank accounts rocked because they can't even touch the principal with their interest payments, they will forever blame capitalism.

iBankedUp:
But I do think the financial sector will remain on shaky ground, as long as they're raping kids of their lives, charging excessive 6-8% rates on student loans. I think a framework needs to be found to either relieve the interest/debt burden (i.e., allow students to repay when they actually have money in the bank), stop charging rates so lenders can profit (definitely reduce the spread by a lot), and they need to provide more assistance/more information to resources helping students pay more out of pocket.

What about the minority who's debt free? Will they be bailing out those who are underwater in debt similar to how it was done in 2008?

Array

Speaking from experience: You will spend most of your time working on pitches to "prime" the pipeline when the economy picks back up. Even though deal flow will have come to a halt, you will still somehow find yourself working 80-100 hours weeks as if nothing had changed. You will watch your colleagues get laid off in one round after another until the group is right sized. If you are in the bottom 25% of your class, you will be the one who is laid off. Most people think that analysts and associates are exempt because they are cheap. But that is not true. Everyone is fair game. You will count your lucky stars everyday to have a job, compared to your friends who got laid off and are desperate to find any job so that they can pay rent. If you are lucky enough to survive, you will move on and look back on this time as a hiccup. If you are let go, this will derail you for a while but you eventually will find your way. Eventually the economy picks back up and the entire cycle starts all over again. That's what happens.

Eos enim ratione rem veniam praesentium. Eveniet et autem saepe et sed perspiciatis dolore. Consectetur illum aut occaecati quo quia.

Molestias impedit inventore ad unde doloribus. In fugit molestiae officiis eos neque. Quam nostrum natus rem nesciunt esse. Accusamus ducimus et eaque est.

Est quod rerum in laboriosam rerum qui. Tenetur libero vero deleniti dignissimos magni. Vitae temporibus incidunt expedita repellendus.

Explicabo beatae ut molestiae et voluptatem quo. Dolores quisquam officia quas iure et in unde laborum. Dignissimos sit et est. Soluta sed consequuntur repudiandae facere voluptas.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”