What's market for LO junior level compensation?

Hey guys, currently interviewing with a number of LO shops for research associate roles (2 yrs of IB experience) and I'm curious what I should expect in terms of comp?

My current role is paying 90 base + 75 bonus as a second year IB ANL and should increase to 95 + 90 in my third year. Not sure what large LO funds pay their juniors - I'm assuming 125 + 125? How does that scale over time? Funds I'm referring to are Artisan, Allianz, etc. 

Assuming I spend a few years here and look to lateral elsewhere, would SM HF opps be on the table, or do L/S SM funds view LO shops negatively?

Thanks!

This is another thing people should keep in mind, especially if 3rd party recruiters (as opposed to internal recruiters). Third party recruiters get paid if they place you, that isn’t to say they’ll give a comp number of $300k when it is $100k, but if they think you are a good candidate they can place, they are going to try and get you hooked and then work on the details. If you are at $180 they’ll give you the range of possible that is attractive (as long as it’s not an outright lie) but most likely they are exaggerating a bit and then will talk about the growth at the firm, the opportunities you’ll have, the “soft” benefits, etc. 

I work in LO after doing a stint in IB. That said, I worked in IB at two EBs in NYC for two summers and ended up joining LO out of college. 

At my company, total comp is usually around $115k in out of college roles, but after about 4-5 years gets to close to $180k. That's close to what you would be making. My company is also on the lower paying side due to being located in a lower cost of living area. Personally, I think that this is a great place to work after some time in IB, and even with the compensation being a bit lower, you still have decent places to go. 

I do not believe that L/S SM or MM shops look negatively on LO shops at all. In fact paired with IB, this could set you apart since you have both IB and investing experience. I know many people who have gone from LO to the HF space and they did not think they had some uphill battle coming from LO. 

Most Helpful

No problem! Admittedly, I bet you most LO shops would pay you below $215k, likely at around $200k with maybe a few pushing to $225.

Again, I'd bet my shop would pay you around the $160k-$180k range, which is lower than most LO firms would pay. This is considerably below your floor. This is justified by my company for increased work-life balance, as well as other perks like reduced rent at some of the best nearby apartments (I get my first month free and a 10% discount) or access to private clubs in the area. 

Most people coming from IB are prepared for a bit of sticker-shock when changing to LO, since they pretty badly want a "lifestyle change" (as it is said at my company). That said, comp progression in LO can be pretty good, so long as you are able to be promoted quickly. Make it to Portfolio Manager, and your comp will probably dwarf your friends at the VP level in PE

depends heavily on whether they are standalone hedge fund structure/private equity spinout or large asset manager, the former will usually pay more but less stable

examples of the former are stockbridge abdiel sequoia public equities etc. 

Generally need an MBA to get in after that much experience. In my experience, most AM research depts. have two to three levels. In order of ascending seniority, associates do a lot of the “digging” and tenures last in the ballpark range of 2-5 years. Next up the food chain are analysts, who are usually (emphasis on the usually) MBA hires. They are more responsible for the idea generation and true analysis, which is often times mixed in with the digging. Then you have the PMs who also have idea generation/analysis responsibilities but are more focused on managing the book naturally. PMs are generally promoted analysts or lateral hires with PM experience.

Most associates don’t get promoted since Analyst/PM turnover is very low, so a lot go to other firms, B school, or pivot their career interests. To circle back to your question, I would say you might be able to get an analyst seat if you have prior relevant experience (buy side), but otherwise B school is the most trodden path to senior AM seats.

Animi facilis eveniet voluptas voluptatem accusantium cum ut. Et quasi quaerat et.

Voluptas id iure hic eos in beatae. Deserunt magnam possimus quis consequuntur. Alias qui placeat culpa consequatur architecto quia dicta magnam. Repellat et facere provident quia.

Eligendi exercitationem dolorum autem molestias. Dolore et sunt velit et.

Aut voluptatum maxime suscipit consequuntur. Enim temporibus dolorem est quidem itaque repellendus occaecati. Eveniet voluptates voluptates magni molestiae quia. Aut accusantium cumque sit debitis ut. Aut laboriosam cupiditate id omnis et.

Placeat delectus officiis aliquid eligendi eaque. Dolorem exercitationem non quod reprehenderit voluptate nihil sit. Sint est perferendis aliquam omnis ea. Ratione dolore eos non itaque dolores eligendi. Aut saepe placeat voluptatibus facere dolores suscipit voluptas.

Qui quod assumenda est aut. Nemo incidunt enim beatae fugit necessitatibus assumenda et. Saepe deserunt voluptas sed ut dolorem sed dolorum unde.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 96.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

March 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

March 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

March 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (249) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”