Where are you doing your virtual 2021 SA?

Hello everyone,

As you guys know,  MS, UBS, DB, WF, RBC, and BMO have all confirmed that their 2021 SA's will be fully virtual, and I think that it is just a matter of time before other firms also confirm this. Where will you guys plan on living? Would renting a house in Florida be a good idea? How many hours are you expecting to work? Thanks

Most Helpful

1. New York - I want to see if I want to live their full time. My internship is also looking like it’s going to be at least partly in person, but it if isn’t then I won’t regret it. 

2. Yeah Florida will be fine if your internship is based in NY - no time difference is good. I would recommend not booking yet unless your bank has confirmed you’re virtual though.

3. I expect to be railed harder than my hot cousin on the average Wednesday night, except every night, and by my MD.

Will be at a NY BB. HR Hasn't given us any logistics related info yet but I am pretty sure it'll be virtual. I am planning to move to NY regardless (and so are many of my friends)!

Summer intern at a non-NYC MM bank. Still planning to be in the city of internship to interact with the team unofficially and experience living in the city to decide if I want to be there FT or no. Also, unlike many others, I will not be having the double cost of renting due to the way my current lease is structured.

In terms of work, I expect myself to have a lot of free time on my hand. Spoke to people who interned this previous summer, and most of them said it was pretty chilled with not a lot of work other than the proverbial logo assigning tasks. The gap between some tasks was as much as a day or 1.5 days. I just expect a longer version of the same. The group is probably too busy to handhold the interns through an internship when they themselves are getting staffed on a deal after another. 

I think the contingency that thinks that analysts or above will be in NYC during the summer are sadly mistaken. Under normal circumstances, people flee NYC every chance they have for the summer. I'm not sure you guys realize how many people prefer to not live in NYC

Not sure if this is true for all banks but my BB paid overtime for interns (which is every week lol). 

If you are working from CA (meaning you are living in CA, doesn't matter if you are working for the NYC office, for example) you fall under CA overtime labor laws. 

CA requires employees get paid 1.5x overtime, but NY and most other states allow 0.5x for overtime hours.

Assuming $40/hour base rate (what most BBs are), this means that an intern working for an NYC office from a non-CA state will earn $20 for each overtime hour while an intern for an NYC office working from CA will earn $60/hour for each OT hour... imagine how much that compounds.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to post up in LA or San Diego or something to maximize the geographical freedom of a remote internship while also maximizing your pay.

Keep in mind you probably need a CA mailing address to do this.

Occaecati minima occaecati voluptas ipsa. Quas atque necessitatibus blanditiis consequuntur molestiae illum fugiat.

Maxime molestiae provident quia vel quisquam harum blanditiis. Nam et natus suscipit velit. Ex suscipit recusandae ad.

Et impedit magni officiis distinctio. Aut enim sapiente odio. Nemo porro ut sit.

Nisi ipsam exercitationem et. Et iure ad sint consequatur sed non quisquam. Id nobis non sed blanditiis placeat et quaerat. Optio ut ducimus commodi similique cum quia aut. Aspernatur quasi delectus a eum perspiciatis possimus esse.

In facilis ratione necessitatibus repellendus. Ea amet eos autem ullam.

Velit voluptatum explicabo officia. Voluptatem et ut et est ipsa. Iste nulla perspiciatis nisi atque dolorem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”