SC911:
I just got the Black steel Gucci GChrono with diamonds forming the G.. pretty sick if someone tells me how to post pics i'll post it up.

Slow down, 50 cent

"Jesus, he's like a gremlin; comes with instructions and shit"

Connor][quote=djfiii]Movado Fiero.</p> <p><a href=http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/movado-watch-mens-swiss-fiero-tungsten-carbide-bracelet-32mm-0605621?ID=462936&amp;cm_mmc=Google_Feed_pla_pe-_-adtype-pla-_-target-19586772875-_-kw-&amp;gclid=CMni2oGVxK8CFWHptgodTFX7bA[/quote rel=nofollow>http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/movado-watch-mens-swiss-fiero-tungst…</a>:
I hope this is a joke.

don't hate on Movado. Far and away the best watch being discussed in this thread.

TheKing:
Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't get the idea of spending thousands on a watch. You can get a nice looking one for a couple hundred bucks.

Unless you get one of those crazy skeleton patek watches, there's just no point.

Agree
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

ST Monkey:
Omega Speedmaster

Speedmaster is solid, but be warned, if you get the NASA one the the dial is Hesalite crystal. Scuffs a lot.

It is also a tad out of the 3K price range. Get a Sea Master. Great weight, automatic, looks sharp. I've had mine for like 8 years now and love it. You can get one for ~2K

For $3k I'd go for a non-chrono IWC or something from one of the small German manufacturers like Stowa http://www.stowa.de I like their understated look.

Alternatives would be the Omega Speedmaster Professional (the Moon watch). I think you should be able to get one used for that amount (others can correct me of I'm wrong).

I'd say away from the fashion designer watches at this price range. That's just brand extension for them.

But for $3k, I'd rather buy a $50 timex and spend the balance on track days, auto racing training, buying a rotax kart, or take a long weekend trip.

Relinquis:
For $3k I'd go for a non-chrono IWC or something from one of the small German manufacturers like Stowa http://www.stowa.de I like their understated look.

Alternatives would be the Omega Speedmaster Professional (the Moon watch). I think you should be able to get one used for that amount (others can correct me of I'm wrong).

I'd say away from the fashion designer watches at this price range. That's just brand extension for them.

But for $3k, I'd rather buy a $50 timex and spend the balance on track days, auto racing training, buying a rotax kart, or take a long weekend trip.

Are you The Stig?

Best Response
RagnarDanneskjold:
Relinquis:

Are you The Stig?

I'm one of The Stigs... there is more than one of us... haha!

Seriously though, I get a lot more kicks out of experiences than out of owning stuff. You can have a lot of fun for $3k and if I'm not mistaken the OP has recently bought a bike so maybe some track training and such would be good fun?

RagnarDanneskjold:
Relinquis:

Are you The Stig?

Some say his droppings have been found as far north as Wales. Some say he has a full-sized tattoo of his face...on his face. All we know is he's called the Stig.

I recommend IWC Mark XV/XVI or Sinn (German brand).

Man made money, money never made the man

getting a watch is important for men but watches like tag and movado or gucci are a waste of money, they don't hold value. if you just want a watch get a timex. if you want an investment get a breitling, rolex, patek philippe, Panerai etc. or limited edition watches.

Never ever buy those diamond encrusted ones that claim to be 5 carat. For a diamond to be worth money they have to be at least 1 carat per diamond. 6 pieces of half carat is worth shit.

blahwoop:
getting a watch is important for men but watches like tag and movado or gucci are a waste of money, they don't hold value. if you just want a watch get a timex. if you want an investment get a breitling, rolex, patek philippe, Panerai etc. or limited edition watches.

Never ever buy those diamond encrusted ones that claim to be 5 carat. For a diamond to be worth money they have to be at least 1 carat per diamond. 6 pieces of half carat is worth shit.

very good point, yes I would like to see my watch as an investment...does anyone know if Omega holds its value?? Rolex is cool..but i think the submariner look has been copied by EVERYONE

Whiskey5:
Omega holds NO value. Rolex, if you buy a used one hold its value very well.

If you want a nice watch, go for a Rolex.

As for someone who posted about his vintage 1680 Submariner... Don't bother, it has replacement hands. If original, I can see 5k out of that one.

hmm interesting point...i think i should save and buy a Rolex..i don't feel wearing a second hand watch. Thanks for the input bro

Whiskey5:

As for someone who posted about his vintage 1680 Submariner... Don't bother, it has replacement hands. If original, I can see 5k out of that one.

This is one of the dumbest posts I have seen. Rolex is a fine watch, but they are nothing special. I've see all 3 of the Omega's I own actually increase in value on the used market.

Whenever a watch thread pops up the clowns come out.

TNA:
Whiskey5:

This is one of the dumbest posts I have seen. Rolex is a fine watch, but they are nothing special. I've see all 3 of the Omega's I own actually increase in value on the used market.

Whenever a watch thread pops up the clowns come out.

Read what I said, you CLOWN. Omega when bought new has NEVER increased in price and is CERTAINLY never known to hold its value when bought new. This is the general consensus among watch enthusiasts.

Rolex and PP has the best resale value. Learn about your watches before you start talking shit.

go.with.the.flow:
Anyone know which rolex in the most prestigious ?

lol

which rolex would have the best resale value?

Resale? 1)Sea dweller 2)Sub

and none of that two-tone shit.

SD is out of the price range, and on a used Sub you're cutting it close. It's prob going to be over 10 yrs. old and in good condition. However, there aren't too many changes on the Sub. The biggest change in a while was the ceramic bezel on the newest one. Not a big deal.

RagnarDanneskjold:
go.with.the.flow:
Anyone know which rolex in the most prestigious ?

lol

which rolex would have the best resale value?

Resale? 1)Sea dweller 2)Sub

and none of that two-tone shit.

SD is out of the price range, and on a used Sub you're cutting it close. It's prob going to be over 10 yrs. old and in good condition. However, there aren't too many changes on the Sub. The biggest change in a while was the ceramic bezel on the newest one. Not a big deal.

lol at the two tone comment. I did some research and I really like the 50th anniversary submariner. I like the ceramic bezel to the coke bezel.

The other cool thing is that you can always change the bezel.

It is a waste of money unless you are on a managing director budget. Assuming you're an analyst, why would you spend half or a little under half of your money pay check on a watch. If you're hell bent on getting a watch, get something on deep discount like this: http://www.thewatchery.com/detail.asp?bo_products_variance_id=119564 But hey to each his own.

madmoney15:
It is a waste of money unless you are on a managing director budget. Assuming you're an analyst, why would you spend half or a little under half of your money pay check on a watch. If you're hell bent on getting a watch, get something on deep discount like this: http://www.thewatchery.com/detail.asp?bo_products_variance_id=119564 But hey to each his own.

I think to each their own on what is considered a waste and what is considered a good or important purchase. Personally I think buying a car, unless you're in a city that requires it, is a frivolous purchase, but to another it's a sign that they have come to some point in their lives or a treat for themselves.

I think if he were an analyst buying a watch over $10K, that would be a bit ridiculous, but a $3000 watch for some can be reasonable, so long as you do the research and be sure to buy a proper watch and not buy something that you can easily get for much cheaper.

And to highlight that such things are 'to each their own'. I've met MDs and Directors with really expensive watches, and I've met ones content on wearing something like a g-shock.

Kanon:
madmoney15:

I think to each their own on what is considered a waste and what is considered a good or important purchase. Personally I think buying a car, unless you're in a city that requires it, is a frivolous purchase, but to another it's a sign that they have come to some point in their lives or a treat for themselves.

I think if he were an analyst buying a watch over $10K, that would be a bit ridiculous, but a $3000 watch for some can be reasonable, so long as you do the research and be sure to buy a proper watch and not buy something that you can easily get for much cheaper.

And to highlight that such things are 'to each their own'. I've met MDs and Directors with really expensive watches, and I've met ones content on wearing something like a g-shock.

Exactly, people buy expensive stuff for status. If someone could buy the exact same quality without the name brand, many people would pass on it and the demand would be close to nil, decreasing the price even more. Personally, I get more happy on saving money and getting quality stuff (clearance and ebay) than just buying the top notch available. But you're right about the car, people like to pretend their rich and buy BMW's and Benz's even when they can barely afford their mortgage payment. Something I never really understood. And 3000 can be reasonable now, but maybe saving for a rainy day could be even more reasonable. And if he wanted a watch too, he could spend 500 for a classic watch and put the rest away and get some kind of return out of it. Bottom line, status shouldn't be attached to the amount you paid for it. For example, you could get a pair of gucci sunglasses 300 dollars without being polarized but at the same time I can get a pair of sunglasses with polarization at half that price. I would be saving (in essence making) 150 dollars in a matter of an hour of shopping around.

design:
You can get a nice Frederique Constant on a $3k budget. Maybe something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Frederique-Constant-FC-720RM6B6-Runabout-Automati…

and then you can replace the leather band with band with a steel band of your choice. For Frederique Constant, stick to model numbers FC-7XX and FC-9XX -- those are the models with movements made in-house.

Good call on the Frederique Constant. A real up and comer and you get great value for the in-house models... where similar-quality watches with longer histories go for several thousand more. Great quality and you can get a really good one for 3K.

Otherwise, agreed with the Stowa suggestions (classy minimalist looks), IWC mark xv or other intro-IWC watches, Sinn, and you can also try and take a look to see if you can get a Nomos for 3K. I think it might be possible.

If you don't mind getting used, there are tons of options on getting brands you otherwise wouldn't get for 3K. And vintage watches are interesting - just whether you know how to properly shop for one.

You could check out B&M for 3K as well... but I personally think they are a bit overpriced for the quality. Some makes do look nice though.

Kanon:
design:
You can get a nice Frederique Constant on a $3k budget. Maybe something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Frederique-Constant-FC-720RM6B6-Runabout-Automati…

and then you can replace the leather band with band with a steel band of your choice. For Frederique Constant, stick to model numbers FC-7XX and FC-9XX -- those are the models with movements made in-house.

Good call on the Frederique Constant. A real up and comer and you get great value for the in-house models... where similar-quality watches with longer histories go for several thousand more. Great quality and you can get a really good one for 3K.

Otherwise, agreed with the Stowa suggestions (classy minimalist looks), IWC mark xv or other intro-IWC watches, Sinn, and you can also try and take a look to see if you can get a Nomos for 3K. I think it might be possible.

If you don't mind getting used, there are tons of options on getting brands you otherwise wouldn't get for 3K. And vintage watches are interesting - just whether you know how to properly shop for one.

You could check out B&M for 3K as well... but I personally think they are a bit overpriced for the quality. Some makes do look nice though.

These guys are all over it!

My preference is http://www.frederique-constant.com/en/collections/55/fc-303s6b6.html

Youre first watch should be classic. No bling, TAG, Roladex or Omega

The number of day traders on the Forbes Rich List is…zero

All 3 watches that I have bought new could be sold on the used market for more than I paid.

I don't know where you are getting your stats, but you might want to change sources.

Kids on this site, Ugg.

TNA:
All 3 watches that I have bought new could be sold on the used market for more than I paid.

I don't know where you are getting your stats, but you might want to change sources.

Kids on this site, Ugg.

Go into Tourneau, or some place like that, and ask what types of watches they pay cash for. They'll laugh at you if you roll in there with an Omega. For they record, for Tourneau - it's only Rolex or Patek. You can argue quality/function all you want, but when it comes to preserving value, Rolex cannot be beaten.

RagnarDanneskjold:
TNA:

Kids on this site, Ugg.

Go into Tourneau, or some place like that, and ask what types of watches they pay cash for. They'll laugh at you if you roll in there with an Omega. For they record, for Tourneau - it's only Rolex or Patek. You can argue quality/function all you want, but when it comes to preserving value, Rolex cannot be beaten.

Why on earth would you want to see your watch at Tourneau? That is your first problem.

Rolex is a fine watch, but among watch enthusiasts it isn't anything special. Nor is Omega for that fact, but Rolex is riding off their name brand and very little else.

I've been collecting watches for about a decade now. Not saying I am an expert, just saying Tourneau isn't a good reference point.

http://shop.raymondleejewelers.net/used-omega-seamaster-automatic-stain…

I bought that watch for 1100 bucks 8 years ago.

http://www.grayandsons.com/product/17592/29

Bought 6 years ago for ~3200 (and the watch being sold isn't the moon watch which I have and has a premium).

go.with.the.flow:
WSO,

Guys give me a suggestion to get a watch. Only condition has to be steel no leather.

Omega

Whats the matter? Scared of my little red fuzzy anus? Don't be shy,let me show you the way, give me your hand and I will take you to paradise

Whiskey5:
kmzz:
um who cares if it is going to appreciable or depreciate in value? are u really going to hold and sell in 30 years so u can make that $10k profit? shut up

Learn something about watches before you speak. Now STFU.

Lol says the bozo who thinks Rolex appreciates in value and are some how more special than other brands. Haha

this thread is hilarious - yes Rolex holds its value, but to TNA's point, other brands too can appreciate - even my intro IWC is on eBay right now for a substantial premium to what I paid.

Second the intro-IWC reco (but obviously I'm biased).

DaCarez:
this thread is hilarious - yes Rolex holds its value, but to TNA's point, other brands too can appreciate - even my intro IWC is on eBay right now for a substantial premium to what I paid.

IWC is a top 3 brand IMO.

DaCarez:

I'm also biased and have a Mark XV which I love as it's simple clean, and timeless. I've gotten plenty of compliments on it. That said I prefer the pilots, or chronos for IWC in leather hence why I didn't mention this. Rolex or Omega you'll never see with a leather band, while Pateks, JLCs, and higher end brands nicer than IWC are almost exclusively leather. If you really want a SS band, go with Omega or a used Rolex.

FutureBanker09:
DaCarez:

I'm also biased and have a Mark XV which I love as it's simple clean, and timeless. I've gotten plenty of compliments on it. That said I prefer the pilots, or chronos for IWC in leather hence why I didn't mention this. Rolex or Omega you'll never see with a leather band, while Pateks, JLCs, and higher end brands nicer than IWC are almost exclusively leather. If you really want a SS band, go with Omega or a used Rolex.

Yeah, like OP when I was buying my Portofino I was all about the SS - but then tried on the leather and decided it was pretty classy and breathes much better than SS. You can always get an SS band for a watch that comes with a leather strap.

Girl opinion: Frederique Constant looks very nice, and separates you from every other Murray Hill guy with a Tag. Very reasonably priced given its aesthetics; I personally don't own one (yet), so I can't speak of its quality.

I wouldn't even worry about future resale value however many years down the line. Buy the one you like that will last you 10-15 years until you can upgrade to the $5k+ territory (both for bank account and not-looking-like-a-douchewaffle-at-the-office reasons), and then decide what to do with the old one.

TheKing:
http://www.jomashop.com/patek-5004p-033.html

Real talk:

Is there anything dumber than buying a watch like this that costs $200K and doesn't look any better than my Timex?

I think we own the same Timex...

I can't see the appeal of paying that much for a watch like that, unless it had some special history to it. At least with a similarly priced Lamborghini you get noticed, some driving thrills and chicks.

Interesting discussion. It seems as thought these types of threads always degenerate into flame wars.

One thing all of you douchewaffles (my new favorite word, thanks anaismalcom!) need to get is that however much a guy spends on a watch is a matter of preference, something you cant really judge someone for. Some guys just dig shit, even really expensive shit. Are you in any place to judge? Fuck no. If you dig it, do it...and dont judge others when you are in no postion to judge yourself.

I used to be the same way, I didnt get why people would spend so much on a watch. But after doing some research, I understood why people drop a fortune on a nice piece.

When I buy a product, I don't buy the product, I buy the passion and talents of the people who put that product together. And watchmakers are very passionate. You have to admire the ingenuity that the swiss have. Trying to ceate a precise mechanical instrument that usually ends up being the size of a quarter is a challenging endeavour that requires a lot of passion.

Don't talk shit on Rolex, they have introduced a couple of innovations in the watchmaking industry. So has Tag, Omega and a couple of other "less prestigious" brands.

Man made money, money never made the man

go.with.the.flow:
Ive seen a lot of rich people rocking fake rollies, tags and guccis. Would you guys consider buying fake shit:?

I definitely had a fake rolex in high school. It cost me 10 bucks. And it was still $10,000 worth of awesome. sup ladies.

http://www.authenticwatches.com/baume-et-mercier-classima-automatic.html go for a limited edition - PRE-update baume if you can find one....

I own a b&m and a milgauss gv. The baume has almost doubled in value since I bought it- four years ago, because it's a limited edition that's no longer being made. BM also rejiggered its lines about a year ago, which tended to boost values of their discontinued classima executive models.

Rolex's tend to hold value better than other brands, simply by way of the fact that it's such a popular brand. That, coupled with the fact that rolex raises retail prices by about 10%, three or four times a year, puts a floor on how much a fairly in-demand rolex will go for in. My milgauss has gaIned in value in the two months since I bought it.... because I got a fanfuckingtastic deal on it.

My next purchase will probably be a green sub c.

Follow me on insta @FinancialDemigod

TNA:
I love it. You trying to sell it to me haha. I think I have one more Omega in me before I start with Breitlings. Love their weight and functionality.
haha naw, I'm trying to decide on my next watch. I have the Chronomat evolution, but I'm not really into chronographs anymore and it's MASSIVE. I think a Planet Ocean would be awesome to have.

Haha naw, I'm trying to decide on my next watch. I have the Chronomat evolution, but I'm not really into chronographs anymore and it's MASSIVE. I think a Planet Ocean would be awesome to have.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/P0N_fLaUrNA

LOVE the Chronomat. I used to think my Speedmaster was sizable until I tried a Breitling on. Whole other world.

If you are looking at the planet ocean, check out the sea master. Simple, non chrono, sleek looking and you can save a grand by going sea over planet.

Omega has railmaster which is nice, but not too sure if it would be what you want.

I'm actually developing a thing for more vintage watches. My great uncle passed a Waltham down in my family and I just bought a lizard skin strap for it. Looks very class and is sentimental to me.

Not sure where anyone is talking about a watch raising self esteem. More like people who are enthusiasts admiring different things.

But with all the projecting you are doing I suggest therapy for you.

melvvvar:
TNA:
Not sure where anyone is talking about a watch raising self esteem. More like people who are enthusiasts admiring different things.

But with all the projecting you are doing I suggest therapy for you.

ooh sensitive spot i have hit.

bull's eye!

LOL

Sure buddy, you hit a sensitive spot with me. That is the reason why you are chiming into a watch thread when you obviously don't care (which is fine) and then telling people who enjoy watches that they need therapy because they are only buying them because of an inferiority complex.

And good for you with the Timex. It is a great watch. I've been looking at some digital sports watches myself.

On another note, how about you allow people to spend the money that they have earned in the way they seem fit. I don't judge someone for a digital watch, nor do I see why you feel the need to judge someone for a mechanical. If anything it simply indicates your lack of tolerance for economically independent agents deciding for themselves which goods and services provide the most utility.

Or in layman's terms, quit hattin'

AVPGuerilla:
I really get a kick out of the folks who hate because we like to collect timepieces. Reeks of insecurity. I bet they hate people with nice cars/homes/jobs/suits/etc too.

Yeah man. Plain fact is you get a lot of fanboi's on this site who can't let people do what they want.

ANT, your omegas no more constitute a watch collection than a bunch of Thomas Kinkades constitute an art collection.

and really, the only clowns that come out in a watch thread are the clueless conspicuous consumers coming out with their knowledge of "watches" completely derived from sidebars from Maxim magazine.

kids, save your signing bonuses. or at least don't spend them on enriching george clooney and some Swatch group exec.

So now you are defining what watch collecting is? Is my interest in watches in general null and void because I don't have 100K to drop on all the vintage watches I would like to own?

Please define to me what collecting and appreciating watches is so I can conform to the global standard that you set.

And I have more than just Omegas. Nor have I said only having Omegas was a collection or that anyone who has other watches is not a collector.

Personally, I think you should piss off. Your weak attempt at projecting your own small mindedness and inferiority complex is better suited for other posts, not this one. Let the people who enjoy watches talk and go troll somewhere else.

just finding out I pissed away $10K on overpriced trinkets made for the latter-day Babbitt would make me snippy too.

you gave me some real good laughs in this thread though. you think that your omega purchases went UP in value since you bought them? your non-Cal. 321 Speedmaster, for starters? see, that is prima facie evidence that ANT's opinions outside of a specific area of finance are pure unadulterated BS.

should have spent that $10K on anger counseling.

melvvvar:
just finding out I pissed away $10K on overpriced trinkets made for the latter-day Babbitt would make me snippy too.

you gave me some real good laughs in this thread though. you think that your omega purchases went UP in value since you bought them? your non-Cal. 321 Speedmaster, for starters? see, that is prima facie evidence that ANT's opinions outside of a specific area of finance are pure unadulterated BS.

should have spent that $10K on anger counseling.

You are the one with anger issues friend lol.

I bought one of my watches for ~$1100 about 8 years ago. I am seeing it sell used for ~$1300 bucks (private party, more at a retailer), new for ~$1800.

Maybe I am seeing something wrong, but that looks like up in price to me. But then again I am sure my anger issues are clouding my mathematical abilities lol.

Whgm45:
Not really sure what you're trying to say melvvar. At the end of the day, a person's watch preference is theirs alone. No one has to conform to a global set of accepted watches. What may seem like a quality timepiece to you may be completely different from ANT. And there are people who reject watch collecting altogether.

I agree. My day just wouldn't be complete without enjoying an ANT-rant.

Connor:
Which fund manager would you trust with your money; one who wears a Patek, or one who wears a Casio?

/Thread

Nobody with any serious money would give a PM exta points for owning a PP or dock him for a Casio.

I think melvvvar raises some interesting questions about conformity... How many of you would be looking to buy this type of watch if you weren't entering finance?

What about your choice of watch... To what extent would you buy a Rolex or Omega over another watch that you prefer the look of simply to conform to the expected choice (rationalising the choice appropriately due to resale value, appropriateness for the office, type of movement, starting your collection, etc...)?

$3,000 is a lot of post-tax dollars to be throwing at a watch... especially if you're not buying one that you really want. Assuming you have a 35% tax rate, that's $4,500+ of wage slave dollars. A whopping 5% of your salary at $90k.

My recommendation is that if you're going to spend more than a couple of hundred on a watch make sure you buy the one you like and not just the one you think other people would approve of.

Relinquis, I see so many people buying a Rolex/Omega/Breitling for all the wrong reasons. I buy nice watches because I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into it and the history that comes with it. Not to mention the fact that it will last 50 years and only go up in value. Of course, a watch in not an investment and I'm sure other people would rather put their 5k somewhere else, but it's not really anyone else's business. People who buy a luxury watch just to say they have a luxury watch give us a bad name.

I fail to see why anyone gives a shit what other people do. I have a 50 dollar USSR military watch I bought my dad when I was 10 that I wear now and love it. Some people don't like expensive watches and they don't buy them. Other people do.

This is why these threads suck. People who like watches chime in and have a discussion and people who don't like watches swoop in and admonish people or don't understand it.

Best bet is if you don't like watches, don't buy one and don't judge or give a shit if someone else does. I just sold my car and don't know why people would want to own one living in a city, but you are not going to see me chiming in on a car enthusiasts thread.

I'll let the above poster comment with his own experience, but the Sea Master is a great watch. Good weight, heavy enough to feel it but not massive. I have the blue and stainless version and it goes with about everything. It has about a 2 day reserve so you don't have to wear it every day if you don't want.

Amphipathic:
Serious question: Aren't you guys afraid of getting mugged and losing your 4K investment? I can handle losing some cash and canceling credits cards,but not that.
IWC Pilots, and really all IWCs in general are so non descript that unless your would be attacker really knew watches, he wouldn't be able to tell it from a 50$ watch.

FutureBanker09:
Amphipathic:
Serious question: Aren't you guys afraid of getting mugged and losing your 4K investment? I can handle losing some cash and canceling credits cards,but not that.
IWC Pilots, and really all IWCs in general are so non descript that unless your would be attacker really knew watches, he wouldn't be able to tell it from a 50$ watch.
Ah okay

Amphipathic:

If you are that worries get insurance on the watch. Isn't that expensive and gives you piece of mind. Be mindful of where you are and don't be a flashy douche and you will most likely be just fine.

Amphipathic:

lol anything could happen...u cant live in fear brah

melvvvar]so the real question is: did this physician let the old bastard die to steal the Rolex?</p> <p><a href=http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090929/A_NEWS/909290314[/quote rel=nofollow>http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090929/A_NEWS/909…</a>] [quote:
Kubena retired from the Manteca Police Department about 20 years ago and then worked as a private investigator.
I bet he stole it from a gangsta first.

if you have to insure the watch for peace of mind in case it gets stolen, then you can't afford it and shouldn't be buying such an expensive watch in the first place.

The whole point of insurance is to cover liabilities that you can't handle, i.e. life (you're dead so can't take care of depends), house (it cost multiples of your income), car (large investment + liability for other people), health (high costs + falling ill impairs your ability to earn) etc...

ginNtonic:
#1 - Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra - This is great subtle but beautiful watch. I bought mine from Kenjo on 57th St for around $2k

2 - Cartier Tank Francaise / Santos - These will be $4 - 5k post tax, but I think they're well worth the extra thousand or two

nice buy on omega, I do feel aqua terra is classy. I am fed up with chronographs. I want something subtle and elegant. On the weekend I'll go to an Omega dealer and try Aqua terra, seamaster and planet ocean. Whatever suits me I'm getting.

go.with.the.flow:
I am fed up with chronographs. I want something subtle and elegant.
That's a shame because there are plenty of chronos at this price point that are amazing. They also happen to be subtle and elegant, too.

Case in point, the Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope -- absolutely beautiful, minimalist, Bauhaus style.

streetwannabe:
What about AP and IWC? Why does this thread discriminate against leather?! I love the look of the IWC Portuguesse. But I'm a poor college kid so it'll be awhile :(
Audemars Piguet watches and the Portuguese model are going to run well above 3k. If you want an IWC you'd have to go for a used Portofino or Mark series.

streetwannabe:
What about AP and IWC? Why does this thread discriminate against leather?! I love the look of the IWC Portuguesse. But I'm a poor college kid so it'll be awhile :(
Also, he said he doesn't want leather...

Connor:
streetwannabe:
Also, he said he doesn't want leather...

Yes, I know. I was wondering why he doesn't? Leather seems to be nicer to me for general purposes, but to each his own.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Keep it Simple Stupid. Why by a $5,000 watch? Because you can? Better allocation of your money. Submariners are great timepieces if in fact you use it (and not your cell phone) to track time.

Buy the timepiece to pass along to someone special. KNOW and UDNERSTAND the watch and not just the name. Its a great crafted work that should be admired, not sought out because of a status symbol.

you want a status symbol? get a girl and buy her a pair of tits

Eventus stultorum magister.

Btw am I the only one who likes a Quartz movement more than self-winding and automatic? I mean why the fuck do i have to set time for a watch whenever i wear it? its a fucking watch it has to tell me the time not the other way around!!!!

go.with.the.flow:
Btw am I the only one who likes a Quartz movement more than self-winding and automatic? I mean why the fuck do i have to set time for a watch whenever i wear it? its a fucking watch it has to tell me the time not the other way around!!!!
Quatz movement (like those found in my sub $50 Timex) are far superior to any mechanical movement. It doesn't matter whether it is ETA, Rolex or an in-house Patek Philippe movement. A Quartz Timex will be a more reliable timekeeper and will be easier to live with.... But that would be missing the point. A VW Jetta is more reliable and practical than a Morgan Roadster, but people don't buy the Morgan just for transport or to get the weekly groceries, they buy one for emotive reasons and because they appreciate the tradition and craftsmanship of times past (or something else intangible).

I think you should re-examine why you want to buy a $3,000 watch. Wouldn't you be better off spending that money on track days and trips to learn how to ride your new motorcycle fast?

Relinquis:
go.with.the.flow:
Quatz movement (like those found in my sub $50 Timex) are far superior to any mechanical movement. It doesn't matter whether it is ETA, Rolex or an in-house Patek Philippe movement. A Quartz Timex will be a more reliable timekeeper and will be easier to live with.... But that would be missing the point. A VW Jetta is more reliable and practical than a Morgan Roadster, but people don't buy the Morgan just for transport or to get the weekly groceries, they buy one for emotive reasons and because they appreciate the tradition and craftsmanship of times past (or something else intangible).

I think you should re-examine why you want to buy a $3,000 watch. Wouldn't you be better off spending that money on track days and trips to learn how to ride your new motorcycle fast?

Agreed. OP - think carefully about why you are buying the watch because $3000 is a lot to spend - and you can very easily buy the wrong watch and for the wrong reasons.

IMO, if you prefer quartz, then you really don't need to spend $3000. Some people don't care, but generally quartz watches lose its value the second you buy it. There are exceptions of course, and even the most exclusive brands like Patek and AP make quartz watches (though mostly aimed at individuals who only care about showing off the brand and the bling and care nothing about what's going on inside the watch). Or they are for the people who don't care to wind their watches once in awhile. Though personally, I think it really defeats the purpose of owning a high-end, quality-make watch. It's like getting a car with a ferrari shell, but powered by a KIA engine.

As Relinquis mentioned, a quartz movement is more accurate - and it doesn't stop because it runs on battery. But the whole point of mechanical watches is the make and craftsmanship and intricacies that go into a watch without it being powered by a battery. And in the case of an automatic, powered by movement.

Again, think long and hard about why you want to spend $3000. If you want a polished looking watch, and don't know much about brands but just want that is respectable, then you can go lower. If you care about things like the watch's historical prestige, in-house movement, other things like that, then $3000 is tough. It's all about what you're looking for. And if you think it's a damn hassle to wind your watch, then the joys of owning a mechanical watch is probably not for you.

Relinquis:
go.with.the.flow:

Hey Relinquis,

Thanks for the input. I totally agree with your point about Quartz movement, TBH i dont think anyone wears a watch to see time, its more like wearing tie; strictly for aesthetic purpose only. So why not buy a quartz watch but in a aesthetically pleasing brand like Omega.

Sinn U1 if it will be a daily driver - unique and respected by people who know watches. Comes under your budget and then you can save the rest of your money for a Panerai a year or two down the road (looks great with a variety of bands and definitely has a presence without being obnoxious). Both the Sinn and Panerai assume you don't have small wrists. A few years after the PAM you can get a a nice hublot or AP ROO. But what do I know, my go-to is still the tag F1 that I bought in high school...

Connor:
Bro, get the Planet Ocean.

I agree with Relinquis on Quartz vs Mechanical. This is what you come to appreciate when you get into watches...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/nGd4XHfG-G8

I'm lazy bro.. dont want to set time very other day.

RagnarDanneskjold:
If you really want a quartz movement and don't want a watch-winder...you can look for a used Breitling Emergency. They are badass. Just don't get drunk and activate the emergency beacon...you can get in a ton of trouble.

damn this is fucking bad ass dude...what do you think would happen if i activate it in the city?

edit: http://www.breitling.com/modeles/pdf/BR9934-InfoEmergency_210x148_en.pdf

i dont think shit will happen

go.with.the.flow:
RagnarDanneskjold:
If you really want a quartz movement and don't want a watch-winder...you can look for a used Breitling Emergency. They are badass. Just don't get drunk and activate the emergency beacon...you can get in a ton of trouble.

damn this is fucking bad ass dude...what do you think would happen if i activate it in the city?

edit: http://www.breitling.com/modeles/pdf/BR9934-InfoEmergency_210x148_en.pdf

i dont think shit will happen

From my research it's a $100k fine from the FAA + search and rescue costs. World's quickest way to blow your bonus? haha

RagnarDanneskjold:

this actually has some cool functionality worth paying a massive premium for.

If you wear the watch at least every 2 days you will not have to set the time. Also, if you drop 3K on a quartz watch be prepared to get laughed at.

People can debate whether a watch is work $3K or not, but I think most people will agree that spending all that money and having a quarz movement is comical.

Kanon:
TNA:
If you wear the watch at least every 2 days you will not have to set the time. Also, if you drop 3K on a quartz watch be prepared to get laughed at.

People can debate whether a watch is work $3K or not, but I think most people will agree that spending all that money and having a quarz movement is comical.

This.

Agreed. To be honest, automatic movements don't cost an arm and a leg if you shop around. I just found a Hamilton Khaki Field Action Auto Chrono with a Valjoux 7753 for under $900 brand new at a local authorized dealer. The very same movement can be found in a Stowa 1938 Chronograph for over $1800 once you convert EUR to USD. I have to admit I find the looks of the Stowa be to slightly more appealing, but not to the extent that I'd pay over double the price of the Hamilton for it.

<span class=keyword_link><a href=/company/trilantic-north-america>TNA</a></span>:

This is a golden ANT line that belongs in the hall of fame.

Voluptas deleniti eos natus deleniti architecto. Voluptatem corrupti asperiores reprehenderit magnam enim aliquid quam. Nisi sed minima iste odit totam deleniti qui reiciendis. Omnis aspernatur excepturi aut maiores. Repellendus asperiores omnis voluptatem debitis tempore. Laborum dolore voluptatem nihil dolorum et expedita.

Enim non qui laboriosam nulla et. Accusantium nulla vel quia adipisci doloremque aut tempora asperiores. Error veniam est vel dolorum veritatis tempora excepturi. Maiores veritatis soluta deleniti non est. Id optio illo maiores placeat. Maxime voluptatibus eaque iusto voluptatem. Soluta id voluptatum odit consequatur cumque.

Sit omnis ipsum non quisquam et delectus. Tempore nihil est voluptas ratione nihil aut nobis nobis.

Nemo id non omnis aut sunt. Sint tempore optio quia et nihil et eaque. Voluptas reiciendis alias at debitis ut officiis consequatur. Facere optio voluptas architecto facilis nisi repellendus quia. Est quod voluptas inventore itaque ea. Fugit enim ipsum fugiat necessitatibus. Modi sint dolorum quis autem qui fugiat. Velit culpa at est omnis ipsum odit soluta ullam.

Maxime animi aut velit eveniet deserunt debitis nihil facere. Consequatur laudantium voluptatum autem. Saepe dolorum amet fugiat libero exercitationem.

Perspiciatis dicta et accusamus. Cupiditate dolor similique est error magni harum incidunt perferendis. Aut exercitationem laboriosam et voluptas eos non illo doloribus. Laudantium porro iusto sed modi. Expedita sed aspernatur et nobis vitae iure fugiat. Molestiae voluptatem ducimus consectetur dolores cumque eum reprehenderit. Repellendus esse est eum laborum cupiditate.

Amet libero fugit veniam sed. Voluptates facilis nesciunt quis quia deserunt in eum. Cumque suscipit nihil nihil ut est quasi laboriosam. Et quod minima sit ipsum. Enim sint a ipsam vel.

Officiis est eos harum doloremque iste est. Quibusdam repellat corrupti quia nemo rerum suscipit quo. Architecto cumque hic eos corporis ipsum qui iste.

Consectetur quia distinctio omnis ad modi facere. Eligendi molestias ea ut necessitatibus. Iure ullam repellat cumque ullam. Sit aut est iusto maxime quia iusto sit.

Voluptatem modi adipisci voluptatem non molestias. Praesentium provident est et. Consequatur quo dolorem occaecati inventore accusantium enim officiis.

Doloribus cupiditate dolorem molestiae autem impedit est. Impedit tempore nostrum dignissimos exercitationem quae reiciendis sint.

Quia amet nulla explicabo numquam vel. Consequatur ea et cum dolorem voluptatem explicabo. Nihil molestiae enim dolorum porro reprehenderit. Consectetur ut exercitationem illo fuga est sed. Suscipit sit sed nostrum est fugiat rem.

Qui inventore et minus sit quisquam aliquam. Consequatur accusamus facere a harum eius aut dolorem.

Et qui in eum expedita earum corrupti reiciendis non. Aut eum quia veritatis reprehenderit ducimus quo illo. Officia iusto mollitia est exercitationem veritatis molestiae cupiditate. Voluptatem quia sunt omnis consequatur maxime occaecati illo maxime. Eos facere optio sed accusamus. Et rerum eaque ipsa odio necessitatibus dignissimos vero dolore.

Ratione tempora mollitia repudiandae repellendus. Magnam provident quae odit itaque voluptatibus qui error ut.

Dolorum ipsa dolor quas eius. Nihil ipsam voluptas sit consequatur et. Voluptas voluptas ipsam placeat iusto eveniet. Quos suscipit voluptas culpa voluptatibus et sed atque. Vel dolor aut error molestiae ipsum autem maxime.

Reiciendis doloribus quis iure porro. Aperiam aspernatur eum molestiae omnis omnis. Quia modi veritatis cum in id. Dolore dolorum quo soluta temporibus fuga. Repellendus tempore voluptas eligendi sit qui expedita.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”