Why is McKinsey not in Best 100 Companies to Work for?

Google around the "Best Companies to Work For," you will see that BCG is ranked in top 5 every year; however, my question is that with the prestige of McKinsey, why does McKinsey never ranked in these top 100 companies to work for by the Fortune magazine?

http://money.cnn. com/magazines/fortune/best-companies/

xmasboy:
Google around the "Best Companies to Work For," you will see that BCG is ranked in top 5 every year; however, my question is that with the prestige of McKinsey, why does McKinsey never ranked in these top 100 companies to work for by the Fortune magazine? http://money.cnn. com/magazines/fortune/best-companies/

Because you can't google? http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2012/pf/jobs/1205/gallery.top-MBA-employ… http://jobsearch.about.com/b/2012/12/12/best-companies-to-work-for-2013… http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2012/12/12/the-best-companie… http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505125_162-57345147/survey-says-5-best-plac…

I have friends at both companies. BCG guys tell me that despite working hard they feel that the company really cares about them. My friends at McKinsey tell me that is very common to be insulted and that sometimes they feel like McKinsey is doing them a favor by letting them work there. Of course these are only a couple of data points that do not allow for a generalization.

absolutearbitrageur.blogspot.com

24837][quote=overpaid_overworked:
Because fuck consultants. Bunch of no talent hacks: (obligatory Damn it Feels Good to be a Banker)

]

Oh, hi there 2007!

Just cause it's six years old doesn't make it false...Guy I did my MBA with was bragging about getting picked up by a big consulting firm, the fact that he got taken there further reinforces my thoughts on consultants. This kid can talk all day without saying anything, forces the biggest words he knows into sentences (often incorrectly) and is in general a no talent douche. His skill set includes plagerism, cliched catch phrases and mis-applying academic models to situations, re: perfect management consultant.

Because McKinsey's work-life balance is much worse than BCG's. The level of respect that you get from senior people, focus on doing good work, etc. are all basically the same, but BCG people straight up work less. Prestige is definitely a factor, though; because McKinsey always dominates the prestige rankings with shitty quality of life, they have roughly nothing to gain by improving.

One of those lights, slightly brighter than the rest, will be my wingtip passing over.

2x2Matrix:
Because McKinsey's work-life balance is much worse than BCG's. The level of respect that you get from senior people, focus on doing good work, etc. are all basically the same, but BCG people straight up work less. Prestige is definitely a factor, though; because McKinsey always dominates the prestige rankings with shitty quality of life, they have roughly nothing to gain by improving.

So, what's the average McKinsey working hours vs. BCG working hours?

Uhhh, consulting has better hours than trading?

Did they cancel working weekends in consulting? No longer traveling 75% of the time?

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

From everything I can glean (have close friends at all 3 firms), I wouldn't agree it's much worse. You're definitely traveling a bit more, and if that's a huge deal to you, then yeah I can see McKinsey being "much worse". But I think a very small subsection of people interested in consulting are that opposed to traveling. For everyone else, the perks of traveling (staying in hotels, comping everything, racking up points) balance out the cons.

Hours-wise, I think McK might be a bit tougher, but not by a whole lot. People at BCG and Bain definitely also have those 80+ hour weeks from time to time. Of course, it's very hard to say definitively because virtually nobody's worked at more than one of the firms.

Best Response

8:30am to 10pm-11pm Monday - Th 8:30am to 4pm-5pm Fri Very little weekend work

Comments: You generally fly ass-early Monday a.m. (or occasionally Sunday night, especially if west coast). Some projects are better. Some nights you get off by 7pm Some projects are worse, some nights you get off at 2am Sometimes you're on the beach between projects, which, generally, is lighter

BigPicture:

8:30am to 10pm-11pm Monday - Th
8:30am to 4pm-5pm Fri
Very little weekend work

Comments:
You generally fly ass-early Monday a.m. (or occasionally Sunday night, especially if west coast).
Some projects are better. Some nights you get off by 7pm
Some projects are worse, some nights you get off at 2am
Sometimes you're on the beach between projects, which, generally, is lighter

Very accurate from my experience!

Voluptate sed perspiciatis voluptatem facere corrupti. Aut illum asperiores enim odio enim.

Quasi in totam qui sit id sunt a totam. Dolorum officia quis est illo incidunt distinctio tenetur. Non recusandae totam ut corrupti nihil. Assumenda quibusdam ut quo est saepe.

Quaerat dolores nobis in eligendi delectus est. Est eius enim amet quia. Sequi ad repudiandae laborum rem porro ipsum.

Rerum ducimus nam eius. Ad vitae animi ut omnis temporibus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”