Most Helpful

Not really. Sure the WSJ article from this past Fall brought awareness and the process will probably be a little slower this year, but all of my contacts are indicating or openly sharing with me that things are still going to ramp up hard this Spring.

I just went on office visits to virtually every BB/MM/EB a few weeks ago, and was given the scoop on recruiting as part of my university's program for select students pursuing careers on the street.

The general consensus is things are still accelerated. I know a lot of places are going to start phone screens next month.

Here's what I've gathered from my trip, this is 100% from reps/HR at these banks:

• Moelis & Rothschild 2020 apps are open already
  • As you are aware, Gugg processes have already begun
  • Barclays has already opened their diversity apps and interviews are in March/April
  • Citi S&T will kick off, and be done in March at my school
  • CS apps will be opening soon, they are not slowing down from Spring recruiting
  • BAML, JP Morgan, and GS all are slowing down but definitely aren't gonna be "relaxed"
  • MS process kicks off in March at my school
  • WF actually moved to Fall
  • A lot of MM's are sticking to routine schedule: Jefferies, Houlihan, etc. are sticking to Summer/Fall

What I've gathered is that those pursuing SA '20 need to be ready for their interviews by the end of next month. Hopefully you've been networking, because you'll need your contacts in the coming months for resume pushes and the like. People who haven't networked at all when Spring comes around are basically screwed and are gonna have to rely on being the huge minority that get through from virtual resume screens alone.

FT will always late july/early august for networking events for EB with first rounds happening early to mid August.

Interviews occur around late august to early September for BB.

There will be occasional interviews that doesn’t follow this norm and could be much later (Citi FIG around eary October) but generally timeline above will hold true

I agree with @champagnepaki" - I don't see it slowing down that much from when I recruited (last year). From the the guys on the Street I networked with, it sounds like Sophomore Spring/Summer recruiting is becoming the new Junior Fall. From what I've heard at my target, most EBs (Moelis, PJT, EVR, probably more) will continue to start late Spring, while most BBs will kick off Spring and go into Summer (similar to this year there will be Early and Regular processes). That being said, I expect there should be places up for grabs in Fall but less of them.

It's not hard to see why this is happening - moving first in recruiting has a lot of advantages. The kids ready to recruit in Spring are usually the rockstars at the top of their programs, in finance clubs and with prior finance experience already under their belt, and they're given narrow deadlines to respond to offers so they can't shop around (sometimes only 1-2 weeks). Banks waiting too late in the process to begin are going to lose out on some of this talent, so as soon as a few banks start pushing up their timelines, there's incentive for everyone to start doing so.

As a student of course, it sucks - many interviews my friends and I had were before we had even started our sophomore summer jobs. This means there's more attention paid to what little else is left on sophomore resumes - Freshman summer, your grades and your ECAs - which is a depressing turn of affairs. Good luck, feel free to PM for more info.

Incoming SA 2019 International student here. From my experience, the following banks were sponsoring: - J.P. Morgan - Citi - Nomura - RBC - Barclays - BAML - Jefferies - Mizuho - Evercore

Also, I have heard cases of students getting offers at MM/smaller boutiques if they networked well.

I am thoroughly dissapointed with the misleading claims from those articles claiming that the timeline would be pushed back...

I go to a target and they are already recruiting the class below me (C/O 2021) at several banks: - Goldman Sachs - William Blair - Citi - Bank of America - Credit Suisse

The worst part is that each of these banks re-recruited because they didn't like their initial SA class as a result of inexperience and lack of motivation to apply 15 months ahead of time. If banks keep this up, there will be a much faster exodus from this industry than initially expected.

MarkBaum:
I am thoroughly dissapointed with the misleading claims from those articles claiming that the timeline would be pushed back...

I go to a target and they are already recruiting the class below me (C/O 2021) at several banks: - Goldman Sachs - William Blair - Citi - Bank of America - Credit Suisse

The worst part is that each of these banks re-recruited because they didn't like their initial SA class as a result of inexperience and lack of motivation to apply 15 months ahead of time. If banks keep this up, there will be a much faster exodus from this industry than initially expected.

wow - do you mean that the they rescinded offers and just re-recruited a new class?

While I agree about how wack recruiting is, there will be no exodus from anytime soon. There is still an insane demand for the spots open for SAs every year, and this accelerated timeline helps banks find the kids that are on top of things and really really want to be there/do this. Kids aren't gonna stop applying to IB's because they recruit early.

I agree there is still demand but there is also a lot of unknowability in this regard. If you think about it, a lot of sophomores still have yet to declare their major or find out much regarding full-time work. They're generally unaware and don't exactly have enough experience to know what they want to do when they graduate. There's a lot of good, qualified talent that goes unseen as a result of pushing up the timeline.

Also in most cases, accelerated timelines have now been accepted as the standard as most banks start having info sessions in January of Sophomore year.

Pariatur quo est numquam adipisci nobis. Reiciendis quo amet omnis sed molestiae.

Consequatur sit alias aut aspernatur quo distinctio laboriosam. Ipsum occaecati hic officia sed suscipit.

--There are stupid questions, so think first.

Quasi voluptas omnis et impedit. A facilis dolore ut. Nesciunt id omnis suscipit error quisquam.

Rerum aut quo est rerum culpa quia. Placeat dignissimos exercitationem corporis soluta autem tempore quae.

Blanditiis maxime est ut odit quod reiciendis rerum suscipit. Laboriosam eum cumque eius sed reiciendis. Officiis non itaque at libero eveniet qui non.

Asperiores quae sed nihil veniam architecto nihil repellendus. Distinctio deserunt odit temporibus repellat autem delectus aperiam. Necessitatibus rem fugiat ullam nesciunt quo perspiciatis. Optio et at debitis harum aut laudantium voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”