Will Blacks Defect from the Democratic Party at the Midterms? 2020?

With blacks returning to the workforce for the first time in generations (lowest unemployment rate in history for African Americans, people without high school degrees and felons), will the Democratic stranglehold on the black vote (90%+ vote for Democrats) finally be broken?

Let's hear your thoughts monkeys.

Probably not as long as the Republican Party continues to be inept in its handling of outreach to black people, which shows clearly just how much they've written off that community.

25% within a generation is possible. I say this as a black voter who mostly votes GOP. When Mike Huckabee ran for Governor in Arkansas he pulled 46% of the black vote, in what was a Clinton stronghold. He held town halls in their communities and incorporated some of their biggest issues into his platform like criminal justice reform, and school choice/charter schools

At this point, it has little to do with actual policy-The GOP is still seen as too overtly hostile to minorities and racist. I do think Trump is appealing simply because he's more appealing in general to working class voters. I expect a small bump w/ blacks and latinos, in particular. But until he acknowledges them there won't be any mass migration. People give you their vote mostly based on emotion-anyone in sales would tell you that.

Black support for Trump is higher than any other republican president in recent history. Mid term - no. Presidential election - yes.

Current Republicans need to be removed and Trumpian Republicans need to run. The historic Republican Party is dead, thankfully.

Thanks for the comments everyone. To clarify when I say will blacks "defect" I don't mean Republicans receiving a majority of their vote more in the 20-30% range (which would effectively make the Democratic party extinct) rather than 90-95% voting with a Democratic Party that has shamelessly and atrociously failed blacks over the last 50 years.

As long as there are members of the GOP who clearly dislike people of color, even if only on a smaller, local level, these people will continue to be painted as the whole of the GOP. The racist members must be purged if they want to attract the black vote. Vilifying people like athletes because of their protests will detrimentally cripple the GOP's black support nationally regardless of how economically advantageous the GOP could/might be for said populace.

However, the GOP has tied itself to a bit of that image in order to attract the lowest education populace to the party as well. That's why you have a comment further up that says that they've pretty much given up on them because when you allow those people into the party, there is a pushback from another side.

Brief history lesson

Republicans are the party that freed the slaves under Lincoln Republican votes are the ones that passed the Civil Rights Act Democrats founded the KKK Democrats enforced Jim Crow laws in the South after the Civil War Democratic policy has utterly decimated black communities in the last 50 years

Amazing history lesson. Might be relevant if the parties looked anything like what they did. The states that voted republican before now vote democrat. The south voted for dixiecrats, now they vote for republicans. Wonder why...

The problem with Democratic policy has primarily been about implementation and pandering to NIMBYism. Is providing affordable housing or government housing to people who need it a fundamentally bad idea? No! The problem is that white people don't want scary black people to live next to them so politicians conceded to property owning whites and had government housing isolated from the rest of the community far away from good jobs, good schools, etc. left to fester in hopelessness and despair.

To add to this further, the main point which I indicated above is the good schools part. There is quite a bit of issue with that community with kids growing up without fathers as well though. A single mother household and going to a run down school isn't a good combination for a fantastic future. However, you can't really "force" an affluent white population to cater to said demographic because evidence has shown they'll just pack up and leave and/or go to a private school.

buysidehotshot:
Brief history lesson

Republicans are the party that freed the slaves under Lincoln Republican votes are the ones that passed the Civil Rights Act Democrats founded the KKK Democrats enforced Jim Crow laws in the South after the Civil War Democratic policy has utterly decimated black communities in the last 50 years

Did you learn American history from right wing talk radio? Your claims are total bullshit.

Auto:
buysidehotshot:
Brief history lesson

Did you learn American history from right wing talk radio? Your claims are total bullshit.

@Auto

Are you trolling?

How are these claims total "bullshit"?

Are you denying that President Lincoln (1st GOP President) did not free the slaves? Are you denying that elements of the Democratic Party did not found the KKK? Are you denying that the Dixiecrats voted against that Civil Rights Act? Are you denying that cities such as Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, and Baltimore have been decimated by Democratic policies?

Please advise.

DeepLearning If what you say is true why are cities like Detroit such utter shitholes. One party rule for 50 years and what are the results:

• decimation of the black family (over 70% out of wedlock births)

• blacks are poorer now than they were 50 years ago

• shit schools in inner cities

• cities such as Chicago that are worse than war zones in their worst areas

Sure keep saying that Republicans are racist and "only if we gave blacks better housing everyone would be better"

justphresh:
You do know the top 10 most violent states in the country are 9/10 GOP controlled right? I do agree with the out of wedlock births though. That is a massive issue.

Those states also have the highest percentage of black people in their populations...

"Work ethic, work ethic" - Vince Vaughn

Most Helpful

This is a really good example of how to lie/mislead with statistics.

The idea that blacks are poorer now than they were 50 years ago is preposterous. If you look at it as a percentage of wealth black people hold in total, yes this has decreased. But there has been an explosion of wealth in the past 50 years, highly concentrated at the top (almost none of whom are black). Although black people hold a lower percentage of wealth overall, the standard of living of black people and people overall has drastically improved. 50 years ago, a much higher percentage of black people were illiterate. A handful of white dudes got ungodly rich riding the technology explosion (bill gates, bezos, Zuck, many others). So, yeah, look at it as a percentage of the wealth black people hold compared to all of the wealth that exists in the country and you can frame the narrative that black people are poorer now. But it's ridiculous to say that. Ask any 70+ black person if things are better now than they were 50 years ago.

Why are inner city schools so bad? Why are the worst areas of Chicago and other major cities so bad? It's exactly what I just said. Concentration of poverty is bad! It breeds hopelessness. If you literally don't know anybody who went to college or got wealthy without selling drugs, that isn't a great environment. What Democrats at the local level are guilty of is pandering to middle class and upper middle class "moderates" who are fine having their taxes raised a bit to pay for schools and affordable housing so long as they never have to see it. Keep that shit far away and it's fine. And plenty of these moderates who I speak of are democratic voters who I disdain just as much as racist republican voters. It's just that the democrats have this massive base of relatively wealthy moderates who are well trained in respectability politics who are campaign donors. They're willing to help black and/or poor people have affordable housing and schools so long as their precious children don't have to be exposed to them.

Fair enough point. Shouldn't black voters give another side a chance given the poor performance over the last 50 years?

My point is that it boggles my mind that black voters basically allow no competition for their vote which no other demographic does to my knowledge. As a result, Democrats have done jack shit for blacks over the last 50 years.

This idea that the population is able to discern the sources of economic growth, much less attribute them to specific policy positions, is laughable. If that were the case, the Libertarian party would win every election.

The fact of the matter is that elections are won and lost by personalities, emotion and misinformation. The cost-benefit analysis for the average voter is one that favors demagoguery and special interests.

For the average voter, the benefit of casting an informed vote is minimal but the cost is enormous. Making an informed vote means that you have to study history, economics, current events, etc. Most people are either too stupid or too busy with their lives to do this and so we're left with virtue signaling and an uninformed populace, too easily manipulated by varying sources.

So to answer the OPs question, no. I don't believe the good economy (which is undoubtedly a function of the tax cuts) will do much for Trump with respect to the African American community.

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

Why would a black person defect for a party whose policies are contra to the interests of the black community? The republican party wants to do all of the follow:

De-fund planned parenthood Eliminate the Affordable Care Act Reduce funding for education Lower taxes disproportionately for high income earners Etc.

Also, the Potus's history with the black community is horrendous:

Attacks NFL players for not standing during the anthem Periodic tweets about low IQ of certain black people Very few black people in the administration References like, "my african american" Birther with Obama The Trump family's systematic discrimination in the housing industry against black people Central park five full page ad

http://www.series7examtutor.com

Series7examtutor:
Why would a black person defect for a party whose policies are contra to the interests of the black community? The republican party wants to do all of the follow:

De-fund planned parenthood Eliminate the Affordable Care Act Reduce funding for education Lower taxes disproportionately for high income earners Etc.

Also, the Potus's history with the black community is horrendous:

Attacks NFL players for not standing during the anthem Periodic tweets about low IQ of certain black people Very few black people in the administration References like, "my african american" Birther with Obama The Trump family's systematic discrimination in the housing industry against black people Central park five full page ad

How does any of this make sense?

Defund planned parenthood - as someone else stated, planned parenthood was literally founded with the purpose to GENOCIDE the black race

Eliminate the Affordable Care Act - the ACA retards the growth of low end jobs which disproportionately hurts the blacks

Reduce funding for education - the education system as is is a disaster and is not helping the blacks

Lower taxes for high earners - this creates jobs for the blacks and everyone else

I know I am going to catch monkey shit but there is straight up laughable claims being made by SJWs on this thread.

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/08/14/432080520/fact-c…

""The Negro race has reached a place in its history when every possible effort should be made to have every Negro child count as a valuable contribution to the future of America," she wrote. "Negro parents, like all parents, must create the next generation from strength, not from weakness; from health, not from despair."

Her attitude toward African-Americans can certainly be viewed as paternalistic, but there is no evidence she subscribed to the more racist ideas of the time or that she coerced black women into using birth control. In fact, for her time, as the Washington Post noted, "she would likely be considered to have advanced views on race relations.""

buysidehotshot:
Nice talking points. Planned Parenthood was founded to genocide the black race.

Keep showing your ignorance to history.

Apparently, you do not know much the objectives of Planned Parenthood.

http://www.series7examtutor.com

buyoutlbomonkey buysidehotshot

Because the Democratic policies, however ineffective, are drastically better for the black voting bloc than the Republican alternatives? Next question.

The better question is, why is the working class voting bloc voting more Republican when most of the GOP platform harms their economic interests? - Tax cuts for the ultra rich - Massive employer protections leading to no wage growth for the working class in decades - Destruction of collective bargaining rights - Protective tariffs that are increasing cost of consumer goods which are an outsized portion of the working class budget - Gutting public healthcare which is heavily relied upon later in life by manual laborers - The continued promise to reverse course on key social issues, and the continued failure to do so (gay rights, Roe v Wade). As the book 'What's the Matter with Kansas?" states, this is an intentional strategy for the GOP to continue to attract the working class vote while kneecapping them financially. If they actually do reverse Roe, motivation to vote subsides.

The answer? Because these people are increasingly relentlessly stupid, and they voted for a lifelong con man to prove it.

"I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people."

Excepturi sit voluptas nostrum quas asperiores esse et dolor. Sint doloribus explicabo voluptatem ut eum error cumque. Ut aliquam culpa atque consequuntur necessitatibus. Aliquam sed et ipsa in expedita nemo sunt. Nulla aut quae est consequuntur vel qui.

Quia totam ullam autem fuga. Maiores sed laboriosam eum eaque consequatur omnis. Placeat repudiandae dolorem eveniet magni quibusdam sunt quia sequi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”